Auto Racing Discussion F1, IRL, Champ Car, Nascar, WRC, BTCC, etc. Discuss recent races, results.

Team US F1 rumors

Old 06-30-2009, 06:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Team US F1 rumors

I have a friend that works in management for a major nascar team. He's friend (former co-worker) with someone in the new US F1 team. This is what he was told:
Sponsor: YouTube.com
Drivers: David Coulthard (1 year) & Scott Speed (3 years)
Test Drivers: 2 current American IndyCar drivers that will continue to race in the IRL while preforming as test drivers.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:21 AM

I'd be surprised if youtube sponsored anything. I just recently read an article about how google is getting fed up at throwing good money after bad on the youtube investment - with no prospect of actually turning a profit.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by TheCoffeeClub,Jun 30 2009, 06:23 AM
Test Drivers: 2 current American IndyCar drivers that will continue to race in the IRL while preforming as test drivers.
if danica gets into F1 i will shoot myself.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:33 AM

Hmmm...I don't see DC driving again. He seemed quite happy to retire from driving F1 competitively, and he's doing the BBC commentary thing too. But otherwise, a good choice as an experienced race and development driver.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:32 AM

Graham Rahal's been pretty impressive this year. Consistently quick, just needs some more luck. Danica might be in 5th place or w/e in the championship but shes never fighting at the top or at the top of the time sheets, seems like all her top 5 this year are from other peoples misfortune by crashing or misfortune from yellow flags, and shes there to gain those stops.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:28 PM

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news...626140653.shtml

Sir Richard Branson has signed a deal to re-name the new Formula One team Manor Grand Prix after his Virgin brand in 2010, Britain's BBC reports.

The flamboyant billionaire said at Silverstone last weekend that he is unlikely to continue sponsoring Brawn GP next year, because the Brackley-based championship leaders' value has skyrocketed.

Before the former Honda team's immense success, Brandon had grand plans for Brawn, including full naming sponsorship and possibly the transfer of equity.

Those plans, however, have reportedly been simply switched to the fledgling and more affordable 2010 entry Manor Grand Prix, the collaboration of boss John Booth's F3 outfit and former Simtek chief Nick Wirth.

Along with the Virgin speculation, the BBC reports that another well-known global brand will be involved with a new Formula One team in 2010.

Like Branson, YouTube co-founder American Chad Hurley was also at Silverstone, reportedly putting the finishing touches on a deal with the new US F1 team.

As the Team US F1 plans speed along, team co-founder Peter Windsor was stepped down from his role interviewing the drivers in the official post-qualifying and race press conferences, replaced by former ITV commentator James Allen.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:25 PM

if its not sir richard branson and virgin, it'll be someone else pasting their logo on the BGP car next year.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too find it hard to believe DC would drive again, but on the other hand I can see how a startup team would be wise to buy a very experienced driver. I suspect the new car is not going to be fast so no worries there, but for surethe new team could learn a lot from someone with as much experience as DC.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Triple-H,Jul 1 2009, 11:25 AM
I too find it hard to believe DC would drive again, but on the other hand I can see how a startup team would be wise to buy a very experienced driver. I suspect the new car is not going to be fast so no worries there, but for surethe new team could learn a lot from someone with as much experience as DC.
They'd also be rebuilding or scrapping the car after every race. DC will not be coming back.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:04 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You can have the best drivers in the world, if you do not have the car to compete, it really won't matter who's behind the wheel.

Quick Reply: Team US F1 rumors