Auto Racing Discussion F1, IRL, Champ Car, Nascar, WRC, BTCC, etc. Discuss recent races, results.

Some good insight into MS's record

Old 09-30-2006, 07:59 PM

Received 5,759 Likes on 3,394 Posts
Default Some good insight into MS's record

This is some great insight about the success of MS and why records alone don't always make you a shinning star.

http://www.grandprix.com/gt/gt17446.html

Old 10-02-2006, 10:04 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04,Sep 30 2006, 07:59 PM
This is some great insight about the success of MS and why records alone don't always make you a shinning star.

http://www.grandprix.com/gt/gt17446.html
This story is gehy (IMO). Don't throw rocks at the throne. Meaning MS has earned respect, he's won 91 races. This guy is saying he's no good b/c he cheated and/or is an aggressive driver and/or has lesser team mates.

how many times has his team mate out qualified MS?

Didn't Ferrari let Massa win after he outqualified MS? By stacking MS behind Massa a few races back? The happiest person (next to Massa) was MS who picked him up (in happiness) after the race to celebrate his first win in F1.

This article makes it seem like MS team mates never win b/c they give him every race, doesn't he also have to beat the other 20 racers or don't they count? Also I can count on one hand the times when his team mates gave him the win.

BTW how did FA end up in 2nd place yesterday? (this guy wants a double standard, MS has to win without team orders but it's OK for everyone else?).

This guy crys (boo hoo) MS team mates have had to scrub in tires or do the test work for MS. BFD they don't like it go somewhere else.

Boo Hoo, this is the same as saying Lance Armstrong is not a good cycler b/c he has a team that helps him out. Duh didn't KR and FA and Mika and JV and DH etc. also have team mates and team orders?

MS has won more races than all the active drivers put together and i guess you have to multiply that by 2 or 3 to get close. Guess MS is cheating in all thise wins and he hasn't been found (or the the races are fixed like WWF).

I am the first to say what MS did at Monaco was bush-league, but at least he won the race (oh no he didn't, guess the fix was not in on that one race, but he cheated on every other race) Please, he had incidents with JV and DH and then this Monaco stunt and all the sudden he's not a good driver..

Also didn't Senna crash into someone? yes/no?

Great, can't wait till he makes another article titled 'Tiger Woods: not a great golfer....'
Old 10-02-2006, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rai,Oct 2 2006, 10:04 AM
Didn't Ferrari let Massa win after he outqualified MS? By stacking MS behind Massa a few races back? The happiest person (next to Massa) was MS who picked him up (in happiness) after the race to celebrate his first win in F1.
I didn't read the article, but I'll reply to the matters I know from your post.

I think the quoted point is referring to Massa's maiden F1 win at Turkey this yr. If I remember correctly, the results were Massa 1st, Alonso 2nd, Schuey 3rd. Massa slowed for Schuey at the latter stages of the race for WDC points reasons. If Schuey was able to overtake Alonso, MS would've been 1st. So that doesn't serve your point.

However to your defense, you may make the same point for MS was willing to play #2 for Eddie Irvine back in 99.

I don't think ppl are saying MS is not a really good driver. You can't win that many times without being really good. But debate that will never end is whether he's the greatest.

If you're just looking at wins or WDC's, Schuey will run away with the counts. But if you add other important factors in, suddenly it's not as clean cut.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:14 PM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

[QUOTE=orange,Oct 2 2006, 02:14 PM] I think the quoted point is referring to Massa's maiden F1 win at Turkey this yr.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=orange,Oct 2 2006, 05:14 PM] If you're just looking at wins or WDC's, Schuey will run away with the counts.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rai,Oct 2 2006, 01:04 PM
Also didn't Senna crash into someone? yes/no?
You bet. I can't remember who off the top of my head, but it was if I recall right the last race of the season, to win the championship all Senna needed was to have his rival in front of him not earn any points. So as it looked to everybody, as Senna was not able to pass he just ran into his opponent and they both crashed out of the race, thus Senna took the championship.

The best "crash" though was Senna's fist into Edie Irvine's face. Eddie crashed into Senna and took them both out. Senna walked right up to him nice and calm and delivered a boxer's punch that put Edie right down onto the ground.

Senna was all about passion. He never accomplished the number MS has, but will always be one of the all time greats, because he was!