Auto Racing Discussion F1, IRL, Champ Car, Nascar, WRC, BTCC, etc. Discuss recent races, results.

Sebastien Bourdais to F1 in '08?

Old 08-06-2007, 06:39 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 148 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Sebastien Bourdais to F1 in '08?

Rumour has it that Sebastien Bourdais is coming to F1 in 2008.. Any thoughts? Predictions?
Old 08-06-2007, 07:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hopefully... he has nothing move to prove in Champ Car and I think it's hurting the series to have the same person winning the championship over and over. It will just be unfortunate that he'll be driving a terrible team. You would figure with Adrian Newey + Ferrari motor would equal results but who knows... maybe it might lead to a seat over at RBR. I think I would rather even drive for Super Aguri over Toro Rosso but at least it's better than Spyker.

Keith
Old 08-06-2007, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A French version of Scott Speed, gone in less than 2 years. If he had real talent he wold have been been picked up long ago.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes he is coming to F1 in 2008. But too late for F1 and too late in his career. He'll be relegated to the role of mobile chicane. A large part of Sebastien Bourdais' problems is his manager. He should have stuck it out with Renault test drives years ago. Take the negative input, the politicking and grow thicker skin. Instead they couldn't agree to terms , wimped out went to Champ Car. I personally think they took the "easy way out" and it cost him a career in F1.

F1 has evolved to a level where the only "feeder" series producing good drivers are from Europe.. gp2, formula 2000 etc. Andretti, Zanardi, Montoya, Speed, are all examples of this non-European centric living and mentality.

No Champ Car / IRL driver will ever succeed in F1. F1's doors are pretty closed.

F1 has been hard enough on the likes of the Liuzzi's , Kovalanein's, Karthikayens, and the Davidson's of the world, that I don't see Bourdais making any kind of success whatsoever.

and besides, F1, the FIA are in love with their new boy Hamilton. It will be all about him for the next decade, so breaking into a "Hamitonian-F1" age is going to be very difficult..
Old 08-07-2007, 04:03 AM

Are you saying that Jacques Villeneuve and Juan Pablo Montoya didn't succeed in F1 just because they didn't win a championship?

BTW, when was the last time Scott Speed won anything? Sure he's a decent driver but he'll be forgotten in a couple of years. The reason why Bourdais hasn't been picked up soon than now is because American open wheel racing doesn't hold as much value as it once did back when Juan Pablo Montoya or Cristano Da Matta won the CART championships. Back then, the field was way deep with talent... now, more than half the field are ride buyers.

But I don't think anybody should belittle the success that Bourdais has had in Champ Car, IROC and Le mans.

Keith
Old 08-07-2007, 05:53 AM

Quick correction, JV won a world championship. . .
Old 08-07-2007, 07:07 AM

Received 5,755 Likes on 3,391 Posts

Maybe PLN will start an F1 team and hold his hand. I really can't see him being successful but I've been wrong before; afterall it wasn't that long ago I thought Honda was a top three or four team.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by ICEMAN666,Aug 7 2007, 08:53 AM
Quick correction, JV won a world championship. . .
Right...

Let's recap who have gone over from CART to F1 in recent history.

- Michael Andretti
- Jacques Villeneuve
- Alex Zanardi
- Juan Pablo Montoya
- Cristano Da matta

In all fairness, Andretti, Villeneuve and Montoya jumped in good cars where Zanardi and Da matta drove crappy cars but they still didn't out perform their team mates. It's not like Ralf Schumacher did that much better in the Williams or Panis did amazing things with the Toyota...

Keith
Old 08-07-2007, 08:29 AM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 148 Likes on 119 Posts

Looks like he is going to F1 in '08

http://www.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/new...807164334.shtml
Old 08-07-2007, 11:34 AM

I don't know if he's going to do that well. He's an okay driver, but it's just hard for me to picture a champcar driver move up and do well nowadays. I guess I've grown accustomed to seeing them come from being testdrivers or from GP2.

Quick Reply: Sebastien Bourdais to F1 in '08?