Auto Racing Discussion F1, IRL, Champ Car, Nascar, WRC, BTCC, etc. Discuss recent races, results.

Now here is an amazing insight from Toyota F1...

Old 02-12-2008, 08:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Now here is an amazing insight from Toyota F1...

Glock doubts Toyota will fight in front
By Jonathan Noble
Monday, February 11th 2008, 10:13 GMT

Timo Glock believes that Toyota have failed to close the gap on the front of the grid with their new car, even though he is convinced it is a step forward over last year's machine.

The TF108 has failed to shine in early pre-season testing, despite the outfit being full of confidence that a design revamp would help them make a step forward.

Glock is sure, however, that the new design philosophy will pay off in the long term - even though he thinks they are going to start the season in the same position they ended last year.

"All the other teams I would say make every year a step as well," Glock said in an interview with Australian media previewing the Melbourne Grand Prix.

"For us, when we compare the 2007 car with the 2008 car, we definitely made a step in the right direction, but on the other side all the other teams made a step forward as well.

"So at the moment maybe (it) looks like we didn't do a step because time wise we are the same like last year in terms of the gap to the top teams. But at the end I think we will see the clear picture... in terms of how much can we develop the car and how much closer we can come to the top teams and make the gap smaller."

Glock believes that the fact the team are still getting to grips with their new car means that there is great scope for development over the course of the year - which he hopes will help them close on the cars ahead of them.

"We have completely changed the concept of, especially the aerodynamics around the car," he said. "I think Formula One is so complex it's difficult to understand it from one to the other day.

"At the moment that's where we try to work as hard as possible to understand the car (as) quickly as possible, and to be competitive in Australia. But I think that ... the main difference may be (what we) can get out of the car over the year, and that's what I'm hoping for."

Despite the gap to the opposition not having changed so, Glock has no doubts the TF108 is an improvement over last year's car.

"There is more stability (in) the braking especially, and that could come down to the longer wheel(base)..but at the end I think we improved everywhere.

Speaking about what teammate Jarno Trulli thinks about the TF108, Glock said: "The same comments like me. He said that the car made a step forward and it's the right direction, but still we have to improve ourselves."
- how long can/will Toyota stay in F1 if they can't accomplish anything?
- how can one of the largest F1 budgets after 6 years be winless?
- why exactly is Toyota even in F1, as a car brand they don't sell "sport"?

2002- 2 pts, 10th overall
2003- 16 pts, 8th overall
2004- 9 pts, 8th overall
2005- 88 pts, 4th overall
2006- 35 pts, 6th overall
2007- 13 pts, 6th overall

Old 02-12-2008, 08:27 AM

As long as they stay the way they are in the corporate sense (with how the team is run), they will stay as door mats

Not surprised they haven't progressed much in relation to the field. They basically need to find at least a second in lap times compared to the field, which means building a car that's probably 2 seconds faster than last year's car.

Ain't gonna happen.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:53 AM

Blows me away that they just don't pull out and use those millions of dollars someplace else.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they seem to just be very stubborn and may believe that their prides are on the line. just a guess
Old 02-12-2008, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Triple-H,Feb 12 2008, 11:53 AM
Blows me away that they just don't pull out and use those millions of dollars someplace else.
They don't make a single sports car. Why the hell are they in F1. I guess the new Lexus flagship is something to talk about.

Then again - you could almost say the same for Honda/Acura.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:31 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MDXLuvr,Feb 12 2008, 03:30 PM
They don't make a single sports car. Why the hell are they in F1. I guess the new Lexus flagship is something to talk about.

Then again - you could almost say the same for Honda/Acura.
True. I don't really know but does Renault make sports cars?

Honda still has the S2K and the Civic type-r. Not exactly Ferrari or McLaren caliber, I know, but more than Toyota's got. And I think Honda's got enough racing heritage/history to back it up.

Toyota may not have any wins, but Honda only has one. The problem with counting wins is that certain people and teams have dominated for several years.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:10 PM

Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts

Its the stupid Toyota philosophy that they are trying to establish from their "car culture" into F1 and its not working. Honda is not far off since they have bought more into BAR within the last few years.

The solution? Get rid of corporates and put more experienced F1 team leaders on board and with more power. At least Nick Fry saved his own butt and hired Ross Brawn. Wouldn't be surprised if Williams continues to leave Toyota in the dust and Toyota converts to being just an engine supplier.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:10 PM

F1 is a giant ad campaign for teams like Toyota that is why they are still in it but for the life of me I can't figure out why Toyota and Honda cannot make a half decent car.Even BMW's performance has been less than steller. I feel the problem with these firms is that they try to run the team like a corporation and that just does not work in F1. I honestly believe the only reason Mercedes does so well is because of McLaren. I think the two companies that have the right mindset to enter F1 are Aston Martin and Porsche.
Imagine a Porsche F1 car with the engine right below the wing and I am pretty sure in 6 years they will make that design work.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by MDXLuvr,Feb 12 2008, 04:30 PM
They don't make a single sports car. Why the hell are they in F1.

Ya took the words right out of my mouth...
Old 02-13-2008, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by patinum,Feb 12 2008, 06:31 PM
True. I don't really know but does Renault make sports cars?
Not really, just a lot of typical European econoboxes, panel vans and some sedans. Some of those have "sporty" versions but they don't have something in their product line I would call a sportscar.

The thing is though, I'm a huge Nissan fan, huuuuge, Renault basically owns Nissan, they are the ones who bailed them out and pumped them up with money. Nissan has what I will call a very big sporting footprint, the 350Z, the upcoming revised 370Z, the G37 Coupe, the Altima Coupe, not to mention the GT-R and the holy grail, the R32 Godzilla, they have some really sporting things. Nissan could do with a better brand image, I would love it if Renault dropped their name and branded the team Nissan. Of course I'm only seeing it from my American point-of-view, you know, the place that has no f'ing F1 GP, so I'm sure calling it Renault is good in all the countries they actually fgo to race; but still I can dream...

When I think Nissan, this is what I see, at one time they flat out owned the IMSA GTP category. BTW- the sound of those twin turbos was enough to make me weak in the knees... Just total drool.

Quick Reply: Now here is an amazing insight from Toyota F1...