Auto Racing Discussion F1, IRL, Champ Car, Nascar, WRC, BTCC, etc. Discuss recent races, results.

Mmmm....M. Schumacher only wins races and championships because

Old 02-27-2002, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...because he happens to be the best driver?
Old 02-27-2002, 07:16 PM

Say what you want about JPM, he is way fast.
Old 02-27-2002, 07:41 PM

If the car accounts for nearly everything, how does JPM explain that Schumi is so much faster than Rubenho? Or that in the F2001 he was 1.5 sec. faster than Badoer in an F2002 at Fiorano?

A superior driver in an average or inferior car creates excitement at the center of the pack, sometimes just front of center. An average or inferior driver in a superior car generally creates havoc. A superior driver in a superior car creates a dynasty.

--An unashamed Ferrari/Schumacher fan
Old 02-27-2002, 08:01 PM

Originally posted by mingster
i think JPM's year spent making left turns has made him somewhat delirious.
Umm... yea...
I know that CART runs road coarses also, not just ovals.
just to clear that up.
IMO, MS is a great driver, but you have to accept that if he had all the "bugs"
that he Williams car had, it would be a different story.
i dunno, what i wanna see is Michael and Montoya both in IDENTICAL ferraris
racing.
Old 02-28-2002, 02:09 AM

The problem with motor racing is we can all speculate all we like but we'll never really know because the drivers will never be in the same cars!
Old 02-28-2002, 08:49 PM

Well, judging by JPM's own words it is not the driver that matters most but the equipment instead. So I guess it would be more correct to say that the Williams BMW is way fast. That said(purely judging by recent performance, race wins, poles & championships) the Ferarri is way faster and way more reliable. Since it is Williams fault that JPM is not the current F1 champion maybe he should learn to choose better teams to join. Apparently Michael has that one down. He just uses his magic ESP to only go to teams that will win the championship for him by giving him the best car. So far he is batting a thousand. Ok, so he did not win one for Jordan but he only had one race to do it! Of course after you sam something like he did your set. If you win great, no problem. Soon as you start to loose it is the teams fault, their not giving me good equipment. the car is unreliable. Look back carefully last season. Three of the mighty JPM's dnf's where his own fault. Some of those "equipment failures" where his fault. Ranging from throwing the car into the fricking wall at Monaco to abusing the equipment and then not finishing because of it. Ralph had his share setbacks also(remember him being left up on jacks) and he won three races and finished ahead of the mighty JPM in points.
Old 03-02-2002, 01:21 PM

JPM is just trying to reciprocate the mind games that are played on and off the racing circuits. THey all try to get into each other's heads. I think JPM is mega as is Schumi. It is going to be very exciting to see these guys race. I'm also very keen on seeing how Massa stacks up.
Old 03-02-2002, 03:23 PM

JPM is already spouting off his mouth in his second season and who does he pick...the current champion...what a guy.

He says, put Schumacher in a Toyota, Minardi etc and he will not win...of course not, when he first joined Ferrari he did not win often...BUT he did help develop the car to what it is today...give MS a couple of years @ Toyota and I (being a Ferrari fan) DO NOT WANT TO THINK ABOUT WHAT COULD HAPPEN.
Old 03-10-2002, 11:39 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by mingster
i think JPM's year spent making left turns has made him somewhat delirious.
Come on, Mingster.....you DO know one of the main things we all love about CART is the road and street courses. Tell me you did not catch JPM tossing that car around at Long Beach?

Listen everyone, there is no doubt that F1 like just about every other form of racing today is so restricted by the rules that only a superior PACKAGE will consistently succeed. By package I mean the driver, aero guy, designer, engine manufacturer, pit crew, caterer, masseuese/trainer. PR guys etc etc. If you look at Schumacher/Ferrari you have the greatest possible combination of everything that is in place and has been in place for several years.

Do not forget that Michael went to Ferrari in 1996, and while certainly competitive did not win the title until 2000. Yes he probably would have in 1999 save for his accident. His package at Benetton was assembled starting in 1991 and bore fruit in 1994-95. And most importantly it had to include people like Ross Brawn and Rory Byrne who still surround him (along with Jean Todt. Paolo Martinelli and Nigel Stepney) at Ferrari today. Michael's ability to keep the entire team focus on himself as well as his ENORMOUS talent at the wheel are what make him successful. Montoya/Williams/BMW etc etc are in the SECOND year of their association and I think are coming along at a remarkable rate. The next few years will be fascinating to watch as we see how long Michael can stay on top (nothing lasts forever) as Montoya (and others) gather momentum.
Old 03-10-2002, 12:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been a Ferrari team fan for a very long time, even during that period when they could not win anything. I have been a Schumacher fan since he joined Ferrari. As such a die-hard Ferrari fan I can admit there was quite a while when they did not have a superior car. Schumacher started getting them some points and some wins because he was taking a less than great car, and just plain driving the wheels off the thing. Schumacher was able to get so much out of the car, it looked like the car was really good, when in reality the McLaren was a superior car, but Mickey was winning. That is what talent is all about. Yes, Ferrari has a good car now, but the guys behind the steering wheels are extremely qualified, and one of them is gifted!