Auto Racing Discussion F1, IRL, Champ Car, Nascar, WRC, BTCC, etc. Discuss recent races, results.

Malaysian GP!

Old 04-09-2007, 08:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that hamilton kid has nerves of steel....i like him.

that red car was flopping around all over the place behind him...he drove like he didn't even notice it.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nabs 79,Apr 9 2007, 09:00 AM
They? You mean Heidfeld. Kubica has 0 points.
They as in team, not the driver(s).
Old 04-09-2007, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by PLYRS 3,Apr 9 2007, 11:28 AM
that hamilton kid has nerves of steel....i like him.

Very impressive for his 1st two F1 races, very impressive. And of course, it is important to note that McLaren has made huge jumps forward in the offseason to be in the points like they are. Although I'm no McLaren fan, I can clearly see and appreciate how much work they have accomplished.

Must have been weird for Kimi to follow a McLaren for the entire race. I wonder how many times he asked himself why it would not run like that when he was driving it...
Old 04-09-2007, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Triple-H,Apr 9 2007, 12:50 PM
Must have been weird for Kimi to follow a McLaren for the entire race. I wonder how many times he asked himself why it would not run like that when he was driving it...
well, i'm gonna throw it out there....

maybe kimi's not that good of a driver?

is there any proof that the F-cars have gone "backwards" from last year? massa's doing what massa does...kimi is the new variable.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Triple-H,Apr 9 2007, 12:50 PM
Although I'm no McLaren fan, I can clearly see and appreciate how much work they have accomplished.
in the same vain....maybe alonso is just that good of a driver. he could drive anything to victory.

is there any proof that the mclaren has "leaped" forward this year?

in some ways, it's really hard to analyze driver talent in F1....
Old 04-09-2007, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think there's anything separating KR and FA in terms of outright speed but i believe FA's ability to develop the Maclaren chassis is starting to show already...
Old 04-09-2007, 10:10 AM

I'll give Alonso that he IS that good a driver. I still don't have to like him.

And Kimi had some of the worst mechanical luck last year. I think it cost him several wins. I think Kimi has the talent but needs to be kept hungry. I know that's a hard thing to prove, given our spectator position. But he seems to have long stints of brilliance mixed with slower (bored?) driving. His manner of speech makes me think this way too but maybe I'm reading too much into his lazy monotone?
Old 04-09-2007, 12:10 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by PLYRS 3,Apr 9 2007, 11:53 AM
is there any proof that the F-cars have gone "backwards" from last year?
Well, one bit - a coolant leak, which possibly led Ferrari to limit the power output of Kimi's engine in order to keep temps down. Seemed to me that Massa's car had a lot more straight line speed than the McLarens, and Kimi's car has LESS straight-line speed that the McLarens.

Personally, I think there's a good chance that if Kimi were driving Massa's car, he would have passed Hamilton w/o bunging up the works, and at least caught Alonso if not eventually passed him.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by PLYRS 3,Apr 9 2007, 11:53 AM
is there any proof that the F-cars have gone "backwards" from last year? massa's doing what massa does...kimi is the new variable.
Based upon what I saw when I watched the 1st race I would say there is no proof the Ferraris have gone backewards, and I would also say based upon the 2nd race it seems the McLarens have gone forwards. Oh, and I also think it is safe to say the Hondas have gone backwards...
Old 04-09-2007, 02:02 PM

It's one thing to be slow and have a solid team, it is yet another thing to be slow and have a lot of internal strife. I'm thinking Honda could very well have its worst year ever.

Tempers flare at beleaguered Honda

Posted 09 April 2007 at 16:30 GMT

Tempers are starting to flare at Honda, as the depth of the Japanese squad's crisis with its dreadful RA107 single seater became ever clearer at the Malaysian grand prix.

Jenson Button this weekend revealed that team members have begun "shouting at each other", while his veteran teammate Rubens Barrichello was spotted at Sepang in a moment of rare garage fury during a qualifying gaffe.

"Sometimes you just need to voice off some truths," said the Brazilian, who described the Brackley based team's error of not having the T-car adequately set up when he needed to use it at Sepang as "amateurish".

Barrichello had to switch to the spare Honda on Saturday afternoon, and on Sunday finished the race a lap down.

Having previously identified braking instability as a main problem, he now explains that the Earth-liveried car is also terminally slow in a straight line - beaten for terminal pace in Malaysia even by satellite squad Super Aguri, who use an identical engine.

"(The car) acts like a parachute on the straights," Barrichello told Radio Bandeirantes.
Not good!

Quick Reply: Malaysian GP!