Auto Racing Discussion F1, IRL, Champ Car, Nascar, WRC, BTCC, etc. Discuss recent races, results.

last minute desperation tricks by Ferrari

Old 09-11-2006, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tunerjetta29,Sep 11 2006, 12:54 PM
How about the fact that Alonso was also pushing so he could make it back to the line to make one final lap. He barely made it, if you check out the times, there was no way he could slow enough to hold off massa and make it back to the line in time. It was total B.S., and it is Massa's and Ferrari's fault.....they filed the protest.
Old 09-11-2006, 04:15 PM

[I]Briatore backtracks on comments

MONZA: Renault team chief Flavio Briatore yesterday backtracked on remarks he made where he said that Formula One was manipulated.

Italian Briatore told Italy's state television company RAI that the drivers' championship race had been already decided
Old 09-11-2006, 05:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by matrix,Sep 11 2006, 01:05 PM
If a statement like this was made in any other sport - that person would be fined or suspended. FA is lucky to have only lost 5 grid spaces....

Fact - Massa was on a hot lap.
Fact - FA just came out of the pits
Fact - FA should have pulled over and let FM by but he was worried about getting his warm up lap done before the checkered flag, so he couldn't let FM by....

Probability - if you reverse FM and FA, FA would have been the one complaining.....
FACT - FM absolutely COULD NOT catch FA. Do you think he held back for safety's sake? I don't think that.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:58 PM

From the European GP, Villeneuve is penalized for not letting a car on a hot lap by but not doing it intentionally....

[I]Giancarlo Fisichella, Renault (13th, 1m 31.197s):
Old 09-11-2006, 07:11 PM

[QUOTE=matrix,Sep 12 2006, 02:58 AM] From the European GP, Villeneuve is penalized for not letting a car on a hot lap by but not doing it intentionally....

[I]Giancarlo Fisichella, Renault (13th, 1m 31.197s):
Old 09-12-2006, 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by matrix,Sep 11 2006, 07:17 PM
Or about as credible as FA saying that the stewards where fixing the race....
So you're actually admitting that Brawn is not credible?
Old 09-12-2006, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by Incubus,Sep 11 2006, 10:11 PM
Now let's have video evidence to see how far ahead Jacques was.

I'll bet he was a bit closer.
I don't need video, but feel free to search for it if you want it - physics will do...

If FM was 200m behind FA (I have heard claims of 100m to 300m - so I am simply picking a mid point), FM would cover that distance in approx. 2-3 seconds, if you can't see how that would affect FM's aerodynamics - well I can't help you with that....

So to recap:

1 - If FA was going flat out, no way he would catch the Renault in a SINGLE lap!
2 - FM was definitely in FAs turbulant air
3 - As GF says, all drivers on an out lap, which is EXACTLY what FA was on, should give way to drivers on a hot lap, which is EXACTLY what FM was on.
4 - the Stewards got it right....and Renault know it and are now back tracking.

Renault now say F1 is fair
From Alan Baldwin in London
September 12, 2006
RENAULT is confident the Formula One championship is being run fairly and without favouritism, team boss Flavio Briatore has conceded.

Speaking a day after his controversial outburst on Italy's RAI television, in which he compared Formula One to Italian football's match-fixing scandal and suggested Ferrari was being favoured, Briatore said he had been misunderstood.

"We have full confidence in everything ... we never believed that they (world governing body the FAI) were manipulating anything against Renault," he said in an interview.

"I am sure of the integrity of the stewards, of this I am 100 per cent sure."

Briatore felt, however, that the rules needed to be reviewed to ensure drivers were punished only for deliberate blocking actions in qualifying rather than unintentional misdemeanours. {I absolutely agree with this.}

Renault's world drivers' champion Fernando Alonso was demoted five places to 10th on the Italian Grand Prix starting grid after stewards ruled that the Spaniard had impeded Ferrari's Brazilian Felipe Massa.

Alonso, who left Monza with his lead over Ferrari's Michael Schumacher slashed from 12 points to two after an engine failure, was adamant he had not blocked Massa and said bitterly that Formula One was no longer a sport.

"What we need to do in the future is identify really what is the spirit of the rules," said 56-year-old Briatore.

"The spirit in qualifying was that if someone intentionally stops you doing your lap time, they should be punished. This was the intention, or we should put it this way.

"The stewards have Ferrari's telemetry and maybe in that there is some proof that Fernando upset Massa. But for sure Fernando did not want to disturb Massa's lap," he added. {Which is exactly what I have been saying - even though it was unintentional - it still happened...}

"For us, Massa on pole position is better than Schumacher on pole."

Briatore excused Alonso's anger as that of a young man whose emotions were inevitably running high at a crucial stage of the championship.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by matrix,Sep 11 2006, 09:58 PM
Seems like Renault was pretty pissed when it happened to them....

Good memory buddy...
And yes, they were pissed!!!
Old 09-12-2006, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by Balzz,Sep 12 2006, 05:32 AM
So you're actually admitting that Brawn is not credible?
I guess your admitting FA isn't credible either...and the more he talks the more I agree with you!
Old 09-12-2006, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by Triple-H,Sep 12 2006, 07:37 AM

Good memory buddy...
And yes, they were pissed!!!
Of course they were pissed - Renault were victims!

Here Ferrari are manipulating the FIA, FM is lying, MS put him up to it....

Quick Reply: last minute desperation tricks by Ferrari