Auto Racing Discussion F1, IRL, Champ Car, Nascar, WRC, BTCC, etc. Discuss recent races, results.

Formula 1 too elitist says Toyota

Old 05-19-2010, 01:44 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts
Default Formula 1 too elitist says Toyota

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/83726

Former Toyota team principal Tadashi Yamashina reckons the Japanese manufacturer will not return to Formula 1 in the current era because the sport has become too "elitist".

Yamashina, who remains a senior managing director at Toyota, believes F1 no longer offers the manufacturer a significant link to its customers and says it is better served competing in other areas of motorsport.

"There is a big gap between Formula 1 and Toyota's actual car users," Yamashina told Automotive News. "F1 remains the pinnacle of auto racing, but its image grew too elitist.

"At races such as Nurburgring [24 Hours], fans can get right into [the] pitlane, mingle with the teams and touch the cars. They can soak up the atmosphere and feel part of the event. By contrast, average fans have no hope of strolling the paddock at an F1 race. For the fortunate few who can afford to do that, it's fine.

"I think the best kind of races are those in which people can get in close to the race."

Members of Toyota's board will attend this weekend's World Touring Car Championship event at Monza to evaluate a future touring car programme.

He says "There is a big gap between Formula 1 and Toyota's actual car users," Yamashina told Automotive News. .Good, how about starting a hypermiling Formula series for the Prius

Like anyone is really missing Toyota on the grid. oh! and NASCAR and Toyota's car users have a lot in common. They all crash due to unintended acceleration
Old 05-19-2010, 03:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't see how a series could be happy about the biggest and richest car maker in the world deciding to spend their racing dollars elsewhere.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:57 PM
Former Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, Toyota is the indifferent one here. Reality is, F1 would love for Toyota to return.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:00 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Honda's racing heritage is missed from F1 more than Toyota's heritage anyway.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:13 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Im sure everyone tied to the sport would love Toyota to come back or for that matter anyone with a lot of money to spend. But whats the point. All that money spent for nothing. Toyota did not have anything to show after all they spent and did, which is sad.

Some have said that it was their stubbornness to apply "The Toyota Way" to running the F1 team that was their undoing.

I personally don't miss them. F1 existed much before Toyota entered the sport and will continue to exist in some way, shape or form and thats all that matters.

I think Yamashina san's statement is just a case of sour grapes and belittling the sport instead of assigning blame internally for sinking so much money and effort for naught.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:56 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by aashish2,May 19 2010, 11:13 PM
Im sure everyone tied to the sport would love Toyota to come back or for that matter anyone with a lot of money to spend. But whats the point. All that money spent for nothing. Toyota did not have anything to show after all they spent and did, which is sad.

Some have said that it was their stubbornness to apply "The Toyota Way" to running the F1 team that was their undoing.

I personally don't miss them. F1 existed much before Toyota entered the sport and will continue to exist in some way, shape or form and thats all that matters.

I think Yamashina san's statement is just a case of sour grapes and belittling the sport instead of assigning blame internally for sinking so much money and effort for naught.
I agree and I could care less about Toyota being in F1. I just think that uncle Bernie would love to see them return for the no more reason than the money they bring to the table. I say "don't let the door hit you on the way out" to 'em.

Honda on the other hand... and I may be biased here... I would love love love to see return.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:58 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by Flite,May 20 2010, 07:56 AM
Honda on the other hand... and I may be biased here... I would love love love to see return.

Honda is the only Japanese manufacturer to be a part of F1 lore. I'm sure there'd be many happy people if they ever decided to come back.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:33 AM

the biggest shame about Honda is their timing of exit..... just right after developing and completing a championship winning car. each time i remember what happened i get

its a shame how mercedes took the credit and honda's car and facilities just like that. If Soichiro was still here he wouldnt have allowed for this
Old 05-20-2010, 01:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honda should just come back and power the Mclarens. Bring back Mclaren-Honda. Mercedes has their works team now anyways.

With the new engines coming in 2013(?) its a good time to jump back in.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:40 PM

It's a shame that both Honda and Toyota withdrew from F1. Toyota was so close to a win at times and they threw it away because of strategy. I agree with some of the things that Yamashima said. I think endurance racing is where Toyota should be. It fits better with Toyota's "image" of reliability and quality. Too bad Honda already is passing them with HPD/Acura going to Le Mans this year.

Quick Reply: Formula 1 too elitist says Toyota