Auto Racing Discussion F1, IRL, Champ Car, Nascar, WRC, BTCC, etc. Discuss recent races, results.

Ferrari's "Obligation" To Motorsport

Old 10-24-2002, 07:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speaking for myself I would say my intensity comes from the fact that far too many people are pointing fingers in completely the wrong direction. To then make it worse Bernie, the man in charge of F-1 proved to the world the level of stupidity he has been able to rise to when he proposed such things as driver/car swapping, weight penalizations for winning and several other lame ideas. I would be equally enraged at these proposals even if Minardi was the dominant power, so I too am not looking at this issue from Tifosi tinted glasses. Many of us really love F-1 racing and the thought of it being bastardized has us extremely concerned.
Old 10-24-2002, 02:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree - there is not one team to blame here.

I first started watching F1 in the 70's James Hunt and Niki Lauda were my heroes. I watched my first live GP in the 80's at Silverstone, I watched my first international GP in the 90's and watched my first Asian GP in 2000. I used to work near for a while Imola and used to get a big buzz when the Ferrari test team would pull into the same hotel where I was staying. I just hope I can still have something to watch in 2010 and onwards.

In the past 25years, much has changed, F1 is pretty unrecognizable from the 70's - At that time, you could enter a few races as a privateer and possibly even get on the podium, as everybody bar Ferrari had the same engine and budgets were not huge. By the 80's this had become impossible and the teams worked to excluded any newcomers by re-writing the rules. Look now how the financial hurdle is set so high - even teams with reasonable backing such as Arrows and Prost (possibly Minardi) were eliminated. Look at the farce of the Prost assets - all based on rules written to keep the money etc,. within the existing fraternity. Crash testing etc which is important for safety has also added big burden for the smaller teams.

The racing changes may have been smaller, there used to be a rule where only your best (10?) race results counted - so if you did finish a few races it was OK. Not sure why that was changed or if it would make any difference.

I think we will have to accept that there will be some evolution changes, let's hope that they are not revolution changes which destroy the fabric of the competition, and the aura that is F1