Auto Racing Discussion F1, IRL, Champ Car, Nascar, WRC, BTCC, etc. Discuss recent races, results.

F1 Silly Season & Discussion Thread

Old 12-14-2022, 07:08 AM

Received 1,566 Likes on 1,437 Posts

Originally Posted by sam_spider
Dunno. Seems he was wanting to retire but Dorilton got him to take the role when they bought Williams. Could just be retiring, or he’s setting himself up for Audi. Time will tell.
It's *possible* Seidl wants Capito to run the F1 team. The detail I heard from yesterday's do-si-do is that Seidl was appointed CEO of Sauber group, independent of the F1 team. So, Seidl's job 1 is to get a new F1 manager.
Old 12-15-2022, 05:38 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,013 Posts

Mick Schumacher joins Mercedes as reserve driver for 2023 Formula 1 season after losing Haas seat
Old 01-05-2023, 06:58 AM
Member (Premium)

Holy shiT !!

Andretti and Cadillac in F1????

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/an.../10417491/amp/
Old 01-05-2023, 07:48 AM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Received 2,867 Likes on 2,079 Posts

Originally Posted by zdave87
Holy shiT !!

Andretti and Cadillac in F1????

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/an.../10417491/amp/
Not a done deal by a long way, the other teams have to agree to a new submission being allowed.

I do find it funny that GM/Cadillac is on board with this as they don't have an engine and it seems aren't planning on making one. Kinda weird for GM/Cadillac branding.
Old 01-08-2023, 03:18 PM

Received 1,566 Likes on 1,437 Posts

Not a done deal by a long way, the other teams have to agree to a new submission being allowed.
I think this is a giant hurdle. If this rumor of franchise rights happens, it'd be a helluva time persuading 10 teams to cut the pie 11 ways for the new FN-Team. That said, love the idea of an Adretti/Caddy team.

I do find it funny that GM/Cadillac is on board with this as they don't have an engine and it seems aren't planning on making one. Kinda weird for GM/Cadillac branding.
THERACE YouTube channel apparently got some GM exec to state they were throwing the full gorilla at the endeavor, but that's the kind of thing I'd definitely say if I wore a suit at GM at the time of the announcement. Apparently one of the deal-sweeteners is even the possibility of having GM come in as a power train supplier. I do agree it's Kabuki until something really happens.

As far as branding, this, paired with their WEC and IMSA entries for next season indicate to me that Cadillac is going to be a brand to include in motorsport (again). Nobody wants a slow luxury car, and I feel the brand still needs a halo effect for more new buyers. Given Drive To Survive, I suspect somebody in the marketing department thinks it's free advertising. Whether that executive understands the real cost of that "free advertising" will no doubt be seen soon, I'm sure.
Old 01-09-2023, 12:34 PM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

I think it's a waste of time (for Cadillac) if they aren't making the ICE and/or MGU for their entry. $200M exercise could end up quite costly, just ask Haas.

I do think we need more teams, but I'd like to see proper teams again, so I'm hopeful the new regs in 2026 make it a reality.
Old 01-09-2023, 07:21 PM
Member (Premium)

As far as branding, this, paired with their WEC and IMSA entries for next season indicate to me that Cadillac is going to be a brand to include in motorsport (again). Nobody wants a slow luxury car, and I feel the brand still needs a halo effect for more new buyers. Given Drive To Survive, I suspect somebody in the marketing department thinks it's free advertising. Whether that executive understands the real cost of that "free advertising" will no doubt be seen soon, I'm sure.[/QUOTE]

I fully believe that Cadillac will be the motorsports leader for GM (outside of the Corvette team (although it would not surprise me if GM creates a Caddy Vette for racing. )
With all the EV/Electric/Hybrid vehicles coming soon, it’s a perfect time for this.
If the FIA says that a new team needs to put up $3-400 million, GM will gladly write that check - and that would satisfy the existing payout per team.

With the upcoming 3 US races coming this year, the FIA would be idiotic not permitting GM in.

As far as branding the power unit, how would Cadillac/ Honda be any different than Ford / Cosworth or Ilmor / Mercedes?
Old 01-10-2023, 02:52 AM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

It’s not about the FIA letting them in, it’s about the other teams allowing them. Another team removes one of them from getting a paycheck at the end of the season and a reduced payout for the others.

Im not against Andretti one bit. GM coming in as just a brand without supplying the engine is stupid. The one similarity we have right now is Alfa branding on the Sauber but at least Alfa is tied to Ferrari.

Much like Audi coming in, they’re building the engine for their entry. It isn’t a branding exercise.

Haas is a US based team, so it’s not like F1 is lacking US representation.

Btw, Ford & Cosworth have a long history together. Ilmor was partially owned by Merc, Merc then bought the remaining part and it is what is still building the Merc engines.

Old 01-13-2023, 04:11 AM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

James Vowles is leaving Merc and headed to Williams to be team principal. Didn’t see that coming.
Old 01-13-2023, 08:02 AM
Member (Premium)

It’s not about the FIA letting them in, it’s about the other teams allowing them. Another team removes one of them from getting a paycheck at the end of the season and a reduced payout for the others.

Im not against Andretti one bit. GM coming in as just a brand without supplying the engine is stupid. The one similarity we have right now is Alfa branding on the Sauber but at least Alfa is tied to Ferrari.

Much like Audi coming in, they’re building the engine for their entry. It isn’t a branding exercise.

Haas is a US based team, so it’s not like F1 is lacking US representation.

Btw, Ford & Cosworth have a long history together. Ilmor was partially owned by Merc, Merc then bought the remaining part and it is what is still building the Merc engines.
I believe that the reason they aren’t building their own engine is because they missed the deadline for 2026 but I’m not sure if that applies to 2027 etc. I’m positive that GM is doing all they can in developing an engine for 2026/2027 season and beyond.

Quick Reply: F1 Silly Season & Discussion Thread