Auto Racing Discussion F1, IRL, Champ Car, Nascar, WRC, BTCC, etc. Discuss recent races, results.

Anyone else skip the Hungarian GP today?

Old 08-03-2010, 04:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple-H,Aug 2 2010, 12:17 PM
I'm saying from my frame of reference
- team orders and the concept behind them have been a huge part of this sport until 2002 when they were banned.
- if someone does not support team orders then they believe the Driver's Championship is more important than the Manufacturer's Championship.
- being a real F1 fan means understanding the sport and understanding the Manufacturer's Championship is indeed more important than the Driver's Championship.
- drivers should always battle as hard as they can, even if it is against their teammate, but when the time comes that it is more advantageous for the Manufacturer's Championship for a specific teammate to yield his lead, then he does so, and he does so willingly because, at the end of the day, he is payed by the team to drive, he does not pay the team to be their driver.
On the contrary this move was absolutely about the driver's championship and nothing to do with constructor's championship. If Massa had finished first and Alonso second the team would have collected EXACTLY the same amount of points.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:02 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by pitreracing,Aug 3 2010, 07:45 AM
On the contrary this move was absolutely about the driver's championship and nothing to do with constructor's championship. If Massa had finished first and Alonso second the team would have collected EXACTLY the same amount of points.
But Alonso winning offers the team the chance to not only win the Constructors but also the Drivers championship. From their perspective thats the optimal result they want to aim for.

Dont get me wrong, I dont like team orders, but from a team perspective, they'd want both.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:36 AM

Lots of great points made by all. From my perspective, it's just sad when a driver who could and should win the race (though Alonso was faster I doubt he could have passed him because of the dirty air) is forced to let another driver by because of a points battle. But I do understand why it must be done.

Nick
Old 08-03-2010, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by RUGBY,Aug 2 2010, 11:59 AM
You saved yourself a few hours by not watching Hungary.

I'll summarize...

* Mad dash to the first corner to establish finish order.
* Run mind-numbing amount of laps on tires with or without green stripes.
* Pit (hopefully without crashing or losing a tire) and switch to the other tires, with or without green stripe.
* Run mind-numbing amount of laps in the same order as lap one, except for Vettel who doesn't know how to restart so had a drive-through.
* Finish

If you want to see the only pass the entire race, watch the replay of Schumacher running Barrichello into the wall.

You also missed quite a bit of discussion on the flexible wing Red Bull and Ferrari are running. Did I mention the tires with or without the stripe? Also, some teams have used 5 or 6 of their allotted 8 engines.

I'm sure I missed something but the 45 seconds you spent reading this post saved you two hours of watching an extended parade lap.
There is also ALWAYS talk about how the cars start with about 300lbs of added weight due to the fuel so the lap times are slower at the start of a race.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:48 PM

I've been "tempted" to stop following F1 for the last 10+ years but somehow cannot get myself to "boycott" it...

This season I have watched live almost every qualifying and race (5am PT ain't easy) except maybe 2 sessions PVR'ed and watched only few hours later before exposing to the outcome. Also attended Montreal GP in person

I still dearly miss the action-packed (as in on-track racing/passing) days I recall in the late 80's / early 90's, I guess I will still keep following and watching F1 in hopes that such excitement will return one day!

At least this year the season is actually more exciting than most recent years past