Auto Racing Discussion F1, IRL, Champ Car, Nascar, WRC, BTCC, etc. Discuss recent races, results.

Anyone else skip the Hungarian GP today?

Old 08-01-2010, 10:12 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Anyone else skip the Hungarian GP today?

I recorded the last race and planned to watch it before today. Then I accidentally saw a note that Ferrari won it so I skipped the recording and turned on the TV this morning for the Hungarian GP.

Well, I was completely dismayed at how the 1-2 victory occurred. And worse, that Ferrari got away with it. I turned the TV off and went back to bed. I don't know if I'll ever watch F1 again. Pisses me off.
Old 08-01-2010, 12:25 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Eh? There was no 1-2 victory at Hungary today.
I think you were watching last week's race...? The 1-2 happened in Germany. And you were dismayed at the team orders thing, I presume? I can understand that, but disagree. Maybe because I watch a lot of other team sports, where teammates help each other out all the time. No big deal.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:12 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I was watching the pre-race show when the Ferrari issue was mentioned. I still don't like the manufactured outcome by Ferrari.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there's already a thread about the German GP and Ferrari, no need to start another.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And if you don't understand team orders, then yes please, go find another sport to watch, clearly F1 is not for you...
Old 08-02-2010, 09:02 AM

I understand team orders. I think that there are certain situations where it makes sense.

It was acceptable in the past; at present time it isn't. It may yet be allowed again in the future. Who knows.

The legality may be arbitrary, but the fact is, today, it is NOT ALLOWED.

Thus, what Ferrari did was wrong.

F1 fans are split on how they feel about team orders. Hell, F1 drivers and managers differ in their opinions as well. So are you saying dissenting fans have no right to be called F1 fans?
Old 08-02-2010, 11:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You saved yourself a few hours by not watching Hungary.

I'll summarize...

* Mad dash to the first corner to establish finish order.
* Run mind-numbing amount of laps on tires with or without green stripes.
* Pit (hopefully without crashing or losing a tire) and switch to the other tires, with or without green stripe.
* Run mind-numbing amount of laps in the same order as lap one, except for Vettel who doesn't know how to restart so had a drive-through.
* Finish

If you want to see the only pass the entire race, watch the replay of Schumacher running Barrichello into the wall.

You also missed quite a bit of discussion on the flexible wing Red Bull and Ferrari are running. Did I mention the tires with or without the stripe? Also, some teams have used 5 or 6 of their allotted 8 engines.

I'm sure I missed something but the 45 seconds you spent reading this post saved you two hours of watching an extended parade lap.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by mad pup,Aug 2 2010, 12:02 PM
F1 fans are split on how they feel about team orders. Hell, F1 drivers and managers differ in their opinions as well. So are you saying dissenting fans have no right to be called F1 fans?
I'm saying from my frame of reference
- team orders and the concept behind them have been a huge part of this sport until 2002 when they were banned.
- if someone does not support team orders then they believe the Driver's Championship is more important than the Manufacturer's Championship.
- being a real F1 fan means understanding the sport and understanding the Manufacturer's Championship is indeed more important than the Driver's Championship.
- drivers should always battle as hard as they can, even if it is against their teammate, but when the time comes that it is more advantageous for the Manufacturer's Championship for a specific teammate to yield his lead, then he does so, and he does so willingly because, at the end of the day, he is payed by the team to drive, he does not pay the team to be their driver.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:26 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple-H,Aug 2 2010, 03:17 PM
I'm saying from my frame of reference
- team orders and the concept behind them have been a huge part of this sport until 2002 when they were banned.
- if someone does not support team orders then they believe the Driver's Championship is more important than the Manufacturer's Championship.
- being a real F1 fan means understanding the sport and understanding the Manufacturer's Championship is indeed more important than the Driver's Championship.
- drivers should always battle as hard as they can, even if it is against their teammate, but when the time comes that it is more advantageous for the Manufacturer's Championship for a specific teammate to yield his lead, then he does so, and he does so willingly because, at the end of the day, he is payed by the team to drive, he does not pay the team to be their driver.
What you say makes sense. From a Team/Manufacturer perspective the individual is not greater than the team.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RUGBY,Aug 2 2010, 11:59 AM
You saved yourself a few hours by not watching Hungary.

I'll summarize...

* Mad dash to the first corner to establish finish order.
* Run mind-numbing amount of laps on tires with or without green stripes.
* Pit (hopefully without crashing or losing a tire) and switch to the other tires, with or without green stripe.
* Run mind-numbing amount of laps in the same order as lap one, except for Vettel who doesn't know how to restart so had a drive-through.
* Finish

If you want to see the only pass the entire race, watch the replay of Schumacher running Barrichello into the wall.

You also missed quite a bit of discussion on the flexible wing Red Bull and Ferrari are running. Did I mention the tires with or without the stripe? Also, some teams have used 5 or 6 of their allotted 8 engines.

I'm sure I missed something but the 45 seconds you spent reading this post saved you two hours of watching an extended parade lap.
its the hungaroring! sometimes theres more action during qualifying. i was awake for both.

Quick Reply: Anyone else skip the Hungarian GP today?