Auto Racing Discussion F1, IRL, Champ Car, Nascar, WRC, BTCC, etc. Discuss recent races, results.

Another newbie - Brendon Hartley

Old 03-10-2009, 12:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another newbie - Brendon Hartley

NZ teen waiting on F1 green light
Fast-rising New Zealand motor racing driver Brendon Hartley is awaiting the confirmation of his superlicence as he closes in on his dream of driving in Formula One.

Hartley is expected to be officially named as the reserve driver for both the Red Bull and Toro Rosso Formula teams within the next few days.

The F1SA website reported yesterday that the Palmerston North teenager, a member of the Red Bull development pool of drivers, had been confirmed as reserve Formula One driver for both Red Bull teams in 2009.

However, Hartley's New Zealand manager Peter Johnston said he was unable to confirm the report.

"At this stage it is Red Bull's intention to take Brendon forward and be a reserve driver," he told NZPA this morning.

"But this thing has prematurely got out - it's all subject to signing off his superlicence and we're just waiting for that to happen."

Hartley, who contested British F3 last year, recently qualified for a FIA superlicence by completing the requisite mileage at a winter test.

Johnston said he was hoping to receive confirmation within the next 24 hours.

"We've got to cross our t's and dot our i's. We should know a bit more tomorrow," he said.

Hartley's rise was revealed by Toro Rosso team boss Franz Tost who spoke with reporters during Formula One testing at Barcelona yesterday.

"We (Toro Rosso and Red Bull Racing) will share the third driver. It is Brendon Hartley, who is the driver from the Red Bull driver pool," the Austrian said.

Hartley competed in the British F3 series last season, scoring five wins on his way to third overall behind Carlin teammates Jaime Alguersuari (Spain) and Oliver Turvey (Britain) in the final standings.

Team principal Trevor Carlin said Hartley had showed stunning pace in British F3 last year.

Hartley is officially down to drive for the Carlin Motorsport team in this year's European Formula Three championship beginning in May.

The 19-year-old has been a member of the Red Bull development squad since he was 16.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/motorsport/22...-F1-green-light
Interesting idea for Red Bull and Toro Rosso to share a backup driver.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple-H,Mar 10 2009, 04:47 PM
Interesting idea for Red Bull and Toro Rosso to share a backup driver.
Easier to do when two teams share the same chassis.

http://axisofoversteer.blogspot.com/2009/0...rosso-str4.html
Old 03-10-2009, 01:01 PM

But different powerplants, and surely that has got to change up the car.
I sure hope my boy SV is not screwed this year by being in the Renault version.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:45 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

SV is better off in the more reliable RB-Renault car imo. Im saying this based on the fact that STR has not gotten of to a great start and it may likely take them a few races into the season before they can have a more balanced car.

SV with his prodigal talent can drive the wheels of any car. That said he is probably better off driving a reliable package. Monza 2008 will remain one of the races I remember for ever.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by aashish2,Mar 10 2009, 04:45 PM
SV is better off in the more reliable RB-Renault car imo. Im saying this based on the fact that STR has not gotten of to a great start and it may likely take them a few races into the season before they can have a more balanced car.

SV with his prodigal talent can drive the wheels of any car. That said he is probably better off driving a reliable package. Monza 2008 will remain one of the races I remember for ever.
Are you serious? Do you not remember the Malaysia and Aussie race? DC hit a curb and the car disintegrated. It was shocking.

The STR was by far the superior package last year and proved so in its finish ahead of the RB4 in the Constructors
Old 03-10-2009, 08:39 PM
Banned

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh5Gllk2g70
Old 03-11-2009, 04:36 AM

I would rather have SV in a Ferrari car, it's as simple as that for me.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:00 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

I'd still say SV can keep the car together better than DC or MW which is why I think he is better off in a RB-Renault. That way he has a fighting chance from Albert Park. I'd hate to see him walk off the track with an STR that has still not found its balance and not complete the race during the initial parts of the season. I could be wrong though.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:42 AM

And I still think the STR is a better car than the RB
Old 03-11-2009, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Triple-H,Mar 11 2009, 11:42 AM
And I still think the STR is a better car than the RB

Tho it could be down to who gets KERS sorted out first. My money is on Fiat over Renault.

Quick Reply: Another newbie - Brendon Hartley