Auto Racing Discussion F1, IRL, Champ Car, Nascar, WRC, BTCC, etc. Discuss recent races, results.

American driver in F1 for first time since 1993

Old 12-06-2005, 09:49 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default American driver in F1 for first time since 1993

Can't believe I found something about F1 on Yahoo of all places.

Speed to Be 1st American at F1 Since 1993

LONDON - An American driver is back in Formula One racing for the first time in more than a decade.

Scott Speed, a 22-year-old Californian, was chosen Tuesday to drive next season for the Scuderia Toro Rosso team. He's the first American in the series since Michael Andretti in 1993.

"I'm very serious about establishing myself in Formula One as one of the talented guys out there
Old 12-07-2005, 04:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes indeed, Scott has a lot of weight on his shoulders.

Scuderia Toro Rosso is one of my teams for '06 and that is partly due to the fact Scott is one of their drivers, no question about it.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Toro Rosso is the new russian venture from the old Jordon team, correct? I hope Scott gets some good equipment and does well. Hopefully this will add to the American press coverage and we'll get more info over here.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:37 AM

He will do better than Michael cuz he already lives in Europe.

I the 3 years in Austria has made him envelope the European way or he will fail like the "whiney" Michael Andretti did.. Senna even made a crack back in the day about his teammate, always "flying back home to america." and not wanting to test. Michael went into F1 over confident and riding the "andretti" name. He did not enjoy living in Europe , the team politics and the never ending interviews and paparazzi, all became too much.. and that was back in '93
Its a diff world and nowadays its even tougher on a driver

I hope he does well, but not too well, cuz the speedtv coverage will be sickening to watch, much like that one nutted on pes american beat the europeans at their game
Old 12-07-2005, 09:47 AM

To my surprise an artical about SS in F1 was at the stop of my local newspaper sports section this morning. I think he'll fair better than Micheal A. It'll be fun to see what he can do being on the B team. I mean theres not the exspectations of podium finishs just drive for points which could happen.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by E36 Dean,Dec 7 2005, 08:57 AM
Toro Rosso is the new russian venture from the old Jordon team, correct?
No, no , no.

Scuderia Toro Rosso is the second Red Bull Racing team. They bought out Minardi, they will be running a chassis they design and build because they can't run a Red Bull Racing structure and who in the hell would want to run an old Minardi?

As of now the engine is a Cosworth, but this is still the silly season...

Old 12-07-2005, 11:08 AM

the new russian venture is Midland F1
Old 12-07-2005, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Triple-H,Dec 7 2005, 02:01 PM
No, no , no.

Scuderia Toro Rosso is the second Red Bull Racing team. They bought out Minardi, they will be running a chassis they design and build because they can't run a Red Bull Racing structure and who in the hell would want to run an old Minardi?

As of now the engine is a Cosworth, but this is still the silly season...
Thanks for info, it's hard to keep up with all the new groups. Usually they aren't this many in the same season. I hope Speed gets some good equipment, but it doesn't sound like it.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by E36 Dean,Dec 7 2005, 04:23 PM
Thanks for info, it's hard to keep up with all the new groups. Usually they aren't this many in the same season. I hope Speed gets some good equipment, but it doesn't sound like it.
My pleasure, that's what we are all here for. And you are so right, this is a very hectic off season because of driver changes, team changes, new teams, new combinations of engines and tires and of course the never ending rule change crap...

As I said, I picked Scuderia Toro Rosso as my 4th team to support as soon as it was announced. Not only am I a Red Bull fan, but after years of not liking David C. at all, when he stood up in the media at Indy '05 and said what was done was wrong and he was ashamed to be a part of the sport, I became an instant fan. Courage to do/say the right thing regardless of the outcome is a characteristic we do't see much today...

And PLEASE, don't be saying Scott is not going to get some good equipment, it is too early to say that kind of stuff. The financial power behind Red Bull should not be overlooked, trust me.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:43 PM

[QUOTE=s2ksimon,Dec 7 2005, 07:37 AM] He will do better than Michael cuz he already lives in Europe.

I the 3 years in Austria has made him envelope the European way or he will fail like the "whiney" Michael Andretti did..

Quick Reply: American driver in F1 for first time since 1993