Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

WRX STi VS S2000

Old 06-27-2002, 06:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WRX STi VS S2000

Hi guys,

I am new to the board. I am contemplating between a new STi and a 2000 Model - Built April 2000 - White S2000 with Red interior that has never been driven. The white S2000 is 67K on the road and the STi is just over 60K. I have driven the S2000 for a whole full day and its really fun but I am not sure if the open top adrenalin rush will die off after awhile as I have never owned a convertable. My friend who owned an MG said he lost that feeling after two years. As I am aiming to keep the car for more then five years, I really need opinions from existing S2000 owners. In terms of driving pleasure, will an S2000 prevails over a new STi? Also is the White S2000 a good deal? Thanks.
Old 06-27-2002, 06:41 AM

depends on ur age, whether u plan to modify, what ur finances r. a whole heap of issues need to be considered when choosing between the two, apples and oranges my friend.
also, how many people do u intend to be around, more than 2, if so then sti. the open air rush never dies, unless u r startingto go bald or suffer from irish genes and burn like a childs toy saturated with accelerant, plus ur friend had an mg, come on....
Old 06-27-2002, 02:11 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I've had an open top car on and off for the last 15 years and it never dies off. Before I got the S I test drove an MGF and the thrill died off about the time I turned the key.

Seriously, these are very different cars and the choice between them shouldn't be hard. The S2000 is a convertible 2 seater sports car. The STi is a very high performance dog ugly sedan.

If you worship performance and need the seats, go the STi. If you want the wind in yours and possible one others hair and don't need the luggage space, go the S.

BTW, $67K for a 2000 with 0?? Km? Maybe I guess. But I think you could get one with 10Km on it for less than $60K.
Old 06-27-2002, 03:59 PM

I sold my S2000 with 11,000km for $58,500 but dealers ask a lot more.

I still have an MY00 WRX. As everyone is saying it's a question of what type of car you are after. If you're having trouble deciding between a convertible and a sedan then perhaps performance is your main criterion for the choice and practicality doesn't really matter? I sold the S2000 and not the WRX because it can do everything I ever want a car to do including tote people and baggage and tow my race car. It's also faster on a track with minor suspension mods than the S2000 was. If you are considering modifying your car to go faster then the STi is the obvious choice. However, the Honda is a more satisfying car to drive under certain conditions and that's its real strength. It's a car for purists who enjoy every aspect of driving. The new STi is heavier and softer than an S2000 and it's an understeerer. They also have horrible turbo lag (that can be fixed by aftermarket tuners for not much). Theft is also always a problem for turbo Subarus. As for the open top feeling, it depends on what you want to use the car for. If you do a lot of commuting in traffic it's the last thing you want but if you drive the car mainly on weekends in the country there is nothing better.
Old 06-27-2002, 04:14 PM

Originally posted by AusS2000
BTW, $67K for a 2000 with 0?? Km? Maybe I guess. But I think you could get one with 10Km on it for less than $60K.
Im pretty sure you can get 2001 models from Eastwood Honda, 0km, for $65950, it was in last friday's Drive section of SMH.
Old 06-27-2002, 06:41 PM

Thanks for the comment. You guys are very helpful. My heart is on the S2000 but my mind on the STi. I am the type of person that listens to my heart though.

The S2000 I saw is with Eastwood Honda. They claimed SMH had misprinted the Model year. I checked the built date and it was April 2000. Its a white one with red leather interior. I don't believe that they couldn't sell a single white S2000 with red interior for two years and then suddenly decide they need to take 16k off the retail price to get rid of it. What ever the reason I won't say its a 'brand new' car as everyday they drive it twice to move between the workshop and the parking lot and its over two years old. The only advantage they offer is the full three years new car warranty and the option of two extra years if I pay $900 extra to extend.
Old 06-27-2002, 08:02 PM
SMM

TeTe,

Go for the S. I've had mine 3 years in about 5 weeks. I have driven the car with the roof up only 18 times with 58K on the clock, all in Victoria with our weather - and two of those times this week. The feeling never, I mean NEVER goes away.

And if it starts raining, drive faster.

The WRX is as common as muck, go with the prestige.
Old 06-27-2002, 08:21 PM

TeTe is that the red one at Eastwood Honda?

If it is get a compression test done on the cylinders. I've seen a guy test driving the thing... Hammered the crap out of it. And if it's not broken in yet that's a very VERY bad thing.

wil..
Old 06-28-2002, 03:11 AM

Its not the Red one. Its a white one. Thanks for the warning about the guy driving the crap out of the Red one though.

I went and test drive the new STi this arvo. A very well balanced vehicle. Acceleration wise, there is not a lot below 4K and above that it accelerates like the old STi. The steering is not as accurate as the S2000, chassis doesn't feel as rigid, the boxer beat faintly audible and isn't even near the insatiability of the S2000's vtec bark. In terms of pure driving pleasure, the S2000 wins.
Old 06-28-2002, 03:37 AM

Under 'hard' acceleration I don't think there is too much between the new STi and the S2000. Reason I say this as there was sone at Winton last time I was there. I'd come out behind him from the last corner and was able to get allongside him before the chicane ... that is accelerating from ~80 to ~160kph.

The current STi is growing on me. Slighly lowered they look pretty mean, they have very nice interior and for $55k you just cannot beat it.

Quick Reply: WRX STi VS S2000