Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Wireless help again

Old 08-31-2004, 03:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wireless help again

Following on from this thread......

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...6&hl=adsl&st=25

I now have my adsl hooked up through my wireless ADSL router and Im browsing on my desktop nps and I am also able to surf the net on the laptop though the LAN.

My problems are that Im not sure how to communicate between the computers and I cannot connect the laptop via the wireless connection.

I have enabled the WLAN but under Network and Dial-up connections the status is "Network cable unplugged" Ive never used a wireless laptop before so I have nfi.

BTW I have the TCP/IP set to obtain IPS address automatically and obtain a DNS server automatically.

Thanks for the help guys
Old 08-31-2004, 05:13 AM

Are you using the desktop PC wirelessly, or should we take it that you haven't got the wireless network functioning at all?

If it's the latter as I suspect, you should find that the wireless AP has some default settings and is operating, but you need to tell your PC(s) where to find it.

How you do this depends on the maker of the wireless card in the PC. Try double clicking on the icon (if there is one) in the taskbar, and something should pop up giving you an option like "Site Survey" or "Show all wireless networks". If your AP is running in its default config, you should be able to connect simply by selecting a network, and the network name ("SSID") will be something like the brand name of the AP. After that, you should be able to use the Internet.

Once that's going, you really should change the config of the AP to enable security features like WEP, MAC filtering etc (you will also need to set up WEP on your PC's wireless card after doing this) . If doing as I suggested before doesn't work, it could be because your default AP settings are not compatible with the default settings of the wireless card in your PC. For this, because every brand is different, you will have to RT(F)M Most devices have a config page accessible through a web browser by typing in its fixed local IP address.

One thing that might help people here diagnose your problem is to bring up a command prompt and type "ipconfig /all" then copy what comes up here.
Old 08-31-2004, 06:34 AM

Thanks naishou.

I had a long and educational phone discussion with scotts2k tonight and we've come to the conclusion that the security settings on my laptop need to be handled first. My desktop is running through the ethernet and atm so is the laptop but I intend to run the laptop wireless once I can configure the laptop's card's properties.

ATM I can also only ping the laptop, when I try and ping the desktop from the laptop it is timing out so there is a problem there. I will talk with my IT guys tomorrow and hopefully I can work things out.

Big to Scott for spending so much time with me tonight. He has helped me configure everything so I should be able to remote access everything tomorrow and finalise the settings to suit the laptop. Fingers crossed and I should be able to take it from here
Old 09-01-2004, 12:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What hardware did you go for in the end Aust?

If it is a NetGear unit check that the wireless is actually enabled, that caught me out when I did a firmware upgrade a few months ago, they defaulted it to off which was very helpful when I had connected wirelessly to it to do the upgrade!

- Adam
Old 09-01-2004, 02:29 AM

Ive just got home but I paid a visit to the IT guys today. It turned out to be a a combination of problems that rippled off of each other.

Firstly the driver for the WLAN wasn't installed so it wasn't activating and then they had to play around with the settings for about two hours including having to uninstall the WLAN and reinstalling it.

Now it is supposedly working so I have to figure out the details. It appears that the laptop can see the router but I haven't got them talking yet. Perhaps a couple of beers would help
I ran a scan and it picked up the router and shows a signal strength around 40dB and I've activated it but when I go to the current status tab it shows no signal strength. I'll (reluctantly) give the manual I got today a read over I think.

I got the D-Link G604T wireless ADSL router frisky. I haven't had to update the firmware because its a new release and the AU website is telling me that the firmware I have is current. Unfortunately the boneheads also forgot to include the CD manual so I have to d/l that too
Old 09-01-2004, 04:53 PM

Bah! We somehow set the router to disable WLAN the other night but I picked up on it when I ran the "wizard" and I was surfing nps. But, when I couldn't ping the desktop still I searched to find if Norton had set up a software firewall and quickly got the shits and rang iinet for some advice on completing the network settings. He advised me to change the workgroup to MSNHOME on both units which prompted me to reboot the laptop and now Im locked out of it because it was set up on a work domain I didn't realise that it was either Domain or Workgroup so when I changed it I thought that it wouldn't have any affect on my work network but sure enough Then the tech support guy got out of there like a virgin on formal night and left me with the mess. I contacted IT this morning and they told me that I have to connect to the work network to access the laptop again so Im off till Tuesday, then they are going to walk me through the network problems.

Thanks for the help guys