Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Winton track day w/ Mazza club: June 29

Old 06-30-2003, 04:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you guys had a good day and sounds like I should put down Maserati club onto my list of clubs that run good tarcks days with good amount of track-time. Any idea how many cars there were altogether?

Also what about lap-times ... any one care to share what times they managed as well as what the other cars were doing?
Old 06-30-2003, 04:51 AM

I must agree it was a well-organised day. It was my first real club-organised track day so I was a bit apprehensive but everything was well run and easy to follow.

There were probably about 70 cars or so running. The fastest was a Ferrari 360 F1C doing a best of around 1.37xx. Note that the track was ranging from soaked to slightly damp for most of the day. Dan was doing around 1:54xx and 1.55xx on balding Dunlops, I did 1:57xx consistently on my second run (stock) although I didn't hang around long enough to check my third run times (I left early). Times were on the long track.

There were 3 S2000s on the day competing, mine, Dan's and another black one although he had engine problems after the 2nd lap so had to make an early exit, although another 2 showed up that didn't race which I think were with the black one that had engine probs (one was another black one with OEM kit and slightly modded, another was a yellow with bodykit and a spoiler I had to look up to see).

You could have put in about 4 or 5 sessions for the full day.
Old 06-30-2003, 06:36 PM

Hi Blackie,
What pads/fluid are you using? If you are using OME then you're doing better then I did ... I had mine fried and 'crumbling' (and warping my rotors) 1/2 way throught the familiarization session.

70 cars is not bad ... it's about as many as I'd want for a good track-day ... anything up to 70 usually means good amount of track-time.

Also how wet/damp was it when you went out? Did you have a dry-line and did the wetness affect the lines that you wanted to take?

ps. Looking forward to seeing the times for all the cars there.
Old 06-30-2003, 06:58 PM

David, the results aren't up yet but keep an eye on http://www.maserati.org.au

I spoke to the organisers and they said that at 0830am they seriously considered abandoning for the day. However, the rain held off between 0830 & 1000am and they decided to start with a warning that it was a "wet" track.

There were big puddles covering the surface in several spots. The worst being the usual spot between the two turns at the top of the new section. This affected everyone's line.

By lunch time a dry line was starting to appear but then we got a few light drizzle showers. You had to drive with the wipers going and you could see the tyre tracks of the car in front of you. Very slippery.
Old 06-30-2003, 07:14 PM

That's not too good Dan ... sorry to hear that. You (and Mark) seem to have a very bad time with getting dry track days. From the last 4 events that you enetered it was only the Sandown that was dry ... correct?

I seem to be lucky - I've neen to 4 track-days this year and every one of them was dry :-)
Old 06-30-2003, 08:11 PM

The burgandy CRX seemed to be flying around there (around 1:47s) compared to some of the others. It arrived on a trailer so maybe he wasn't afraid of bending a car that he didn't have to drive to work on Monday. It looked like it had been fiddled with a bit. He went off twice in one of the later sessions (maybe something broke?). When they get out of shape the back of them gets very light and the standard steering is a bit too low-geared to gather it up.

When the track looked like it dry from the flag point, it still looked really wet coming on to the new front straight (as Dan said). The quickest group were coming around there with their back left sides really hanging out. The esses also looked scary, no way known would I take the second half off them flat in 3rd. 1 guy tried it in the passenger session and wound up pointing at about 30 degrees off line (he is a very experienced and quick Winton regular).

This Maserati day seemed to flow very smoothly. Smoother than some of their other days (no crashes and only 2 minor recoveries helped). Maybe it was a freak or the've sorted themselves out.
Old 07-15-2003, 10:28 PM

The results have now arrived in the mail. Looking at the big picture first (I'll show the detail below)........ In the morning session, looking at all laps by all cars, 90%-95% were 2mins or over, very few cars got a less than 2:00 lap. In the afternoon session, looking at all laps by all cars, about 30% of all laps were still over 2:00. Lap times in the early afternoon were still high with most people getting their best result in the last or 2nd last outing.

Best time of the day was 1:34:99 from a Nissan Skyline GT-R

A few Ferraris did 1:36s & 1:37s

A BMW M3 did 1:44:65

The best WRX on the day was 1:49:54

The Burgundy CRX won Class 1 with a time of 1:48:14

Honda S2000s were

Blackie 1:53:10
RedRover 1:54:74
Widjaja Ricky 2:21:15

Some of the slower (best) times of the morning session were

Ferrari 360 2:19:43
Ferrari 328 GTS 2:08:20
Nissan Skyline GTR 2:07:26
Old 07-16-2003, 05:26 AM

Best time of the day was 1:34:99 from a Nissan Skyline GT-R

That is a very quick time ... not many cars get bellow 1:35.

Blackie 1:53:10
RedRover 1:54:74
Widjaja Ricky 2:21:15

You said that you still had a couple puddles even towards the end of the track-day .. right? They often form at the exit point of the last 2 turns (ie. back of the new section).
Old 07-16-2003, 06:42 PM

Yeah the puddles stuffed most people's line when entering the main straight. My first time there but a lot of improvement is needed before I hit anywhere close to 1:45! I think Dan (RedRover) lost interest towards the end of the day and Ricky left the track after his second lap with his CEL flashing. Something to do with his VAFC I think.
Old 07-30-2003, 04:37 PM
CKY

I thought it was the short track being used at Winton ??

Quick Reply: Winton track day w/ Mazza club: June 29