Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

why did you buy your S

Old 05-06-2003, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I brought the S2000 after looking at second hand Porsche soft-tops - I did not consider anything else(MX5, Z3 etc) I wanted a pure high-spec/tech sports/racing car and the Honda fitted the bill.

I have not been disappointed, either!!!!!!!!!

Occupation - Software designer, Research Intern ---- but stay tuned for something MUCH more exciting.
Old 05-06-2003, 10:44 PM

Occupation - IT Comms
CC - 4727 4500 xxxx xxxx

Traded a rex on the S2k. Loved the car on paper when it was released, took me a while to get used to the front styling. Sexiest rear end of any car on the road, full stop - ok maybe except for the odd exotic.

Main reason - had to get back into a soft-top. It could be the crappiest POS in the world, but there is a certain thrill to open air motoring. What better way to satisfy this want then to combine it with one of the truly great sports cars of the generation. The choices were really non existent - Mx5 / S2k / Boxster S. Came down to a budgetary/value for money debate in the end.

Agree with the above - biggest concern now is what to replace the s2k with when the time comes. Love the thought of a Boxter S or have even had thoughts of an M3 soft-top. Fear both will be out of the price range.

Am yet to have driven any other machine with a better gear change. Spend some time in my flatmates 240+Kw rex - fast yes, agricultural in feel too tho. Give me the s2k anyday.

Mike.
Old 05-07-2003, 02:19 AM

originally posted by DavidM
- 350Z - remains to be seen. But I've heard reports that it is not too much quicker than S15 200SX. Also from the numbers I have seen so far it seems about as quick as S2000 (or vica versa).

I recently splurged on some of those "Performance Car type" DVD's. I bought 3... which for me is a splurge .

Anyway, one of them featured a race between a 350z, Boxter, S2000, and M3. During this race I could easily see that the low down torque of the larger capacity 350z, and M3 made it easy for these 2 cars to pull away on the straights.

However, on every single corner the s2000 would catch, be right on the arse of either the M3, or 350z (whichever was infront at the time), then stay right on there through the corner to the exit of the corner, and out of the corner at which point the larger engined cars would just pull away. Slowly pull away, but still pull away.

The 350z showed signs of understeer during the race. The car waffled through the corners. bouncey, bouncey... But it seemed able to pull away hard after each corner.

In the end the 350z won the race, M3 second, s2000 third, with the Boxter far behind. The M3 only got infront of the s2000 when the s2000 driver went to hard into a corner and took it wide. The s2000 was able to catch up, but unable to pass the M3 after this.

These were all standard cars by the way. (but...The 350z had the optional nizmo oil cooler fitted.)

After watching the race the 350z looked faster than the S in a straight line. It would pull away with ease. But around corners the S looked more stable, able to hold it's line, and a little tail happy, whereas the 350z just looked like it wanted to push, and run wide.

wil..
Old 05-07-2003, 02:44 AM

Hmmmm

Bought mine about 2 years ago.. it's got about 16k on the speedo...

The main reason i bought it was because i wanted to stick with a Honda, previously owned an Integra. Raced a s2000 with my vtir, and got smashed. (Hard).

I've always wanted a convertible and the s2000 seems to be the most logical choice. My other choices were either the M3 or the s4, but both seem too expensive and yet not a convertible...

Well M3 has a convertible, but paying about 2.5x the price, or something like that.

I'm self-employed in the export industry and now i hooked up a job as a sales trainee at Honda, woohoo, start on Sunday. Part -time work.... So if anyones wants to buy a honda... heheheh...

CHRIS
Old 05-07-2003, 04:02 AM

Originally posted by DavidM The XR8's can definitely beat us down the main straight

That surprises me. I have not 'met one' so I can't speak from experience but XR8 is about as quick as a Comodore SS (maybe a tiny fraction quicker) from what I read and you should 'edge out' those in an S2000.

Then again you're talking about Phillip Island main straight which means a sprint from 140 - 220kph and I would not be surpised to see cars like this to get the advantage at those speeds. [/B]
David, an XR8 passed me down the straight like I was in reverse. Given what you say I guess it was a long way from stock standard.
Old 05-07-2003, 06:07 AM

Anyway, one of them featured a race between a 350z, Boxter, S2000, and M3. During this race I could easily see that the low down torque of the larger capacity 350z, and M3 made it easy for these 2 cars to pull away on the straights.

Yep, I've got it - "Best Motoring International vol.6". Very entertaining but I'd put about as much faith in the validity of these results as I put in WWF. In particular when looking at their 'races'. For instance the e46 M3 is on some tracks quicker than a Nissan GTR or 911, let alone an S2000. At Winton the M3 is good 2secs per lap quicker while at the Phillip Island it is good 4secs quicker (when all cars are driven by Cameron McConville).

Also, from the video the 350Z does not look quicker in the straighline ... and neither does the M3 so that does not say much (as the M3 is a lot quicker). Yes, the cars look like they stretch the 'gap' between them, but that is mostly due to dynamics 'time' at different speeds and not because one car is necesarily going quicker. Two cars that are bumber-to-bumber in a tight corner will have 10 car-lengths between them on the straight when traveling at 160kph and that is without one car pulling on the other. That's just what the same gap looks like when the speed is 100kph greater.

Still, the 350Z can be quicker, I just would not go by this video. You can look at it another way - the only local test that clocked the 350Z has returned 14.8secs for the 0-160kph sprint. That seems very much in the S2000 ballpark so even if one car is quicker than the other, I would say that the difference is so marginal that you will not really see it when you line up the cars. What you'll see is the difference in drive-skill (or weight in the car).

David, an XR8 passed me down the straight like I was in reverse. Given what you say I guess it was a long way from stock standard.

Hi Dan. I just double-checked the numbers in the Motor/Wheels mags. They have had a few tests recently and the XR8 returns low 14s to mid 14s for the 0-160kph. That is no quicker than what the S2000 should return as the S2000 should dip just beloow 14 for 0-160kph on a good day. So there's not reason why one of these would "pass you like I were in reverse".

Also the Comodore SS in every comparision test is the quicker car than the XR8 by good 1/2+ sec (in that increment). The XR6-T seems to be the quicker out of the who Falcons as as I have seen that one get bellow 14sec for the 0-160kph sprint. Still, I've never seen them compared together.

Some stats for an XR8 for reference: 1890kg, 260kw and 500Nm. So a lot of power, but huge amough of weight ... it's good 150kg+ heavier than a Commodore SS.

Still, as I mentioned before - I have not 'met one' so I'm only going by magzine numbers.
Old 05-07-2003, 02:42 PM

Sorry I forgot before
The European Crash test safety points ( I forgot the actual name) showed quite good value for the S. It was excellent for a soft top. If memory serves me correct, the S bet the Merc SLK by a couple of points for frontal impact and was the same for side impact
More reasons to go faster

Other cars consider: SLK AMG, Boxster S, M3 but no money. WRX STI, 200SX but did not like the look too much

PS: Stop picking on me guys......I am shy
Since my warranty has expired, I have never been more happy. I don't have to put up with some of the Honda service departments' BS like "If Honda think it's good they would have done it aldready". I do my own service, TLC my baby thoroughly and never overtorque any of her bits . I only bring her to Honda every 20k km.
I am obsess with this car more and more everyday. It was intended to be a weekend car but is now a everyday/everywhere car.
Am I getting too personal guys ?
Old 05-07-2003, 05:01 PM

Originally posted by honda9krpm

PS: Stop picking on me guys......I am shy
Am I getting too personal guys ?
M8,

don't worry, we can be non-IT geeks together.

I am a director at a top 5 pharma - medicos aren't too bad, good fun to be with at o'seas conferences
Old 05-07-2003, 05:25 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DavidM
[B]Anyway, one of them featured a race between a 350z, Boxter, S2000, and M3. During this race I could easily see that the low down torque of the larger capacity 350z, and M3 made it easy for these 2 cars to pull away on the straights.

Yep, I've got it - "Best Motoring International vol.6". Very entertaining but I'd put about as much faith in the validity of these results as I put in WWF. In particular when looking at their 'races'. For instance the e46 M3 is on some tracks quicker than a Nissan GTR or 911, let alone an S2000. At Winton the M3 is good 2secs per lap quicker while at the Phillip Island it is good 4secs quicker (when all cars are driven by Cameron McConville).
Old 05-07-2003, 06:47 PM

I've been to a lot of timed track days with M3s because I'm in the BMW Drivers Club of NSW. The fastest of the standard ones (E46 too) usually manage about the same times that I got in my standard S2000, but I'll bet they aren't pushing as hard given what's at stake.

Quick Reply: why did you buy your S