Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

why did you buy your S

Old 05-04-2003, 11:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey I'm not in IT in the traditional sense either, but I can see how this car would appeal to the IT crowd as its a technical and engineering marvel, even after 4 years since its release.

DavidM, while granted that the cars mentioned will not rape an S2000, across a mixture of real world conditions (which is where I drive), the other cars will be quicker and easier to drive quickly. Maybe my comment that the S2000 is 'slower' is incorrect but you get my drift.

Anyway, the pre-release RX-8 tests have shown some disappointing figures, however I read that there was fumble at the Mazda factory in incorrectly tuning the ECU that resulted in power losses of around 15kw in all press release RX-8s. I guess we'll have to wait until June/July before we know the truth.
Old 05-04-2003, 11:47 PM

Considered Evo 6.5 TM....

Prior to the S, I had 4wd GSR and thought I should go with rwd. Didnt want a secondhand (gre imports) car and BMW sounds like a family car, no hard feeling BM owners...(maybe when I'm mid 30s). Donno why, MX5 and Elise werent in my list.

IT - doesnt necessary mean good....stressing at work here.

Thomas
Old 05-04-2003, 11:57 PM

DavidM, while granted that the cars mentioned will not rape an S2000, across a mixture of real world conditions (which is where I drive), the other cars will be quicker and easier to drive quickly. Maybe my comment that the S2000 is 'slower' is incorrect but you get my drift.

Hey Blackie, I get your drift and can't disagre with that. Though, that is becasue all the otyehr cars are trquier ... which is probably what you were getting at. Still, I'd leave the RX-8 from that list even then. It has the same torque as the S2000 and caries extra 100kg+. So the S2000 is certainly the 'torquier' of the two.

Anyway, the pre-release RX-8 tests have shown some disappointing figures, however I read that there was fumble at the Mazda factory in incorrectly tuning the ECU that resulted in power losses of around 15kw in all press release RX-8s. I guess we'll have to wait until June/July before we know the truth.

I've read that rumor about US 'pre releae' cars. Though, these tests were done in UK and they were not pre-release cars as far as I can tell. I think they were 'dealer' cars. Still, two test does not make for a conclusion. We'll have a wait a fair bit longer to see how the car really goes here.

ps. I saw a red one just yesterday parked on the side of the road (Nepean Hwy) ... number plate something like "mzdrx8" . I did not realize that there were some on the road already.
Old 05-05-2003, 06:51 PM

I agree with Blackie's first post, they are exactly the same reasons I brought the S.
For a change from all of you guys, I work for the automotive industry as a design engineer and was able to get a 4 litre Turbo 240 Kw, 450Nm Torque for 1/3 of the cost of the S.
0-100 km/h in under 6 secs......All of this and yet I still picked the S, it's true that the car is much more than the sum of all it's parts.

By the way has anyone here managed to beat an XR6 Turbo in a straight line? I'm curious to know. I started out on humble beginnings and didn't have many fast and furious cars before the S like all of you guys.
Old 05-05-2003, 06:59 PM

Im a project engineer at the BHP steelworks in Port Kembla. The reason that I got that out of the way first was to reduce the shock of the other car that I was about to buy.

When I found my S I was on my way back from looking at a Toyota Hilux which I was almost sure would be my next car.

Where I work we have limited pool cars but get paid mileage if we use our own cars so this seemed like a reasonably good excuse to buy a 4wd. (BTW no I don't drive my car around the steelworks now )

When I first seen my S in the paper I still thought that it would be out of my reach especially with insurance but after calling around I found that insurance would only cost me $300/year more than my '92 30X so I was convinced that I had to have it.

I must admit that I now feel as though I knew very little about the car back then but that is probably just relative due to the huge amount of info that Ive got off here and from owning it for the past .
Old 05-05-2003, 07:02 PM

BTW the only thing I regret about chosing the S is knowing that my next car is only going to be a disappointment in comparison. Me thinks that I can live with that for now
Old 05-05-2003, 07:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm in IT too - software development.

I had been thinking 2nd hand Z3 or MX5 for a while - or even a Mini Moke! - anuthing to get into topless motoring.
Then I decided I could afford somthing new and considered: Z3, MX5-SP, Mini CooperS, Monaro.
Then I discovered the S2000 and knew the same day that was what I wanted.
I knew relatively little about it at the time.
I learned later about all of its good qualities either from experience, the web or this site.
Old 05-05-2003, 08:27 PM

I bought mine mainly for the engine and gearbox, and because everyone should own a convertible once. I just had to experience the most responsive driveline in a standard road car. I sold it a year ago because I had 3 cars and thought the prices were going to crash. No regrets with either decision.
Old 05-05-2003, 09:23 PM

I love the S before it was released.
The S is the only convertible that look good with the soft top up. It has descent performance for the $
It should win the pocket rocket roadster if there's such an award

My profession: NOT IMPORTANT HERE; as everyone opinion is valued here
Old 05-05-2003, 09:30 PM

By the way has anyone here managed to beat an XR6 Turbo in a straight line?

I have not raced one but the S2000 is about line-ball in terms of straighline acceleration with the 255kW HSVs (my father has one). These are ment to be a fraction quicker than the XR6-T so it should be a close race.

ps. On a good day the S2000 should return 5.8sec to 100kph and 13.8secs to 160kph. Though that has to be on a 'good' day as most of the time you're looking at low 6s and low 14s respectively.

ps. If you can get access to one then why not race it yourself? If I would know someone who had one then I'd do some comparisions.

Quick Reply: why did you buy your S