Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Whiteline strut-brace now available (finally)

Old 05-14-2001, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed my Whiteline strut-brace this morning. It's a nice fit and good value at $179. Too early to say if it helps cornering but the car seems to handle bumps better, and it even felt different reversing out of my driveway. I don't have pics but can get some if anyone's interested.

If you get one put a couple of brass washers under the end plate as a spacer. The area around the bolts is recessed and the plate will just bend in the middle if you don't. The end of the plate then sticks up clear of the body and it's obvious that will just flex when there's a compression force on the brace. I thought of putting a piece of high density rubber sheeting under the end plates to ensure more even contact, but it will have to wait until later.
Old 05-14-2001, 10:56 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally posted by naishou
I installed my Whiteline strut-brace this morning.
I just ordered mine online.
Old 05-15-2001, 02:34 AM

If it's any good let us know. You obviously don't want a strut brace to flex.
Old 05-15-2001, 02:12 PM
Col

All,

This p.... me off. I was the car that was used for the fitting and I had negotiated with Whiteline for a GB discount and have spent the last 6 weeks hounding them weekly on "where is the finished product?" so that I could take photos and then advertise it on this site as well as through the HSCC in all States. Only last week I was told it was still coming.......

Oh well. Here are the details of the GB -
Whiteline had (?) have agreed that they will accept a single payment but will ship to individual addresses. These are the prices they have given. Rec Retail = $179.00, 5 to 19 @ $161.00 each (10% off), order 20 or more @ $143.00 each (20% off).

If anyone is interested I am still willing to negotiate the GB and would hope to get over 5 (should be easy). If you are interested send an email and I will bulk them together.

I will also be contacting Whiteline to confirm if the GB is still open.

Col.
Old 05-15-2001, 04:32 PM

I think I saw your earlier post but didn't realise there would be a group buy. Hope I haven't done too much damage I guess Whiteline had to honour my purchase through the web which was made some time ago. Would you like me to post some pics so that GB people can see the finished product? Unfortunately my car's not yellow which would be a better match.

On the subject of the bar flexing, it's not going to be a problem if it's installed with the correct spacers as I mentioned. I'm still going to experiment with the high density rubber pad though as the area where the end plates sit is not perfectly flat. Even the body sealer used by Honda makes it stick up a very small amount.
Old 05-15-2001, 04:59 PM

Originally posted by Col
This p.... me off.
Yep, this all seems to have gone a bit awry.

I've ordered mine online but will cancel the order and join the GB if you need the numbers. Lemme know quickly though as I'm not sure how quick Whiteline process orders.
Old 05-16-2001, 12:30 AM

Col, let me know too. I am collecting orders for the Vic HSCC and have 4 of us interested so far.
Old 05-17-2001, 03:36 AM
Col

(I apologise in advance for the photos - Geocities seems to load sometimes then not others, just keep trying)

Well I got there today and picked up my bar, Naishou is correct the top of the strut tower needs to have two washers inserted under the plate to avoid crushing the plate and bending it. I would guess that without going over the top even a stronger plate would bend because of the torque necessary to tighten the strut tower nuts. I used a single mild steel washer under each side and this worked well. I was tempted to use a knife to clean off the body putty that has squeezed out between the panels but refrained as it would have left unpainted white utty surface under the bar - probably not an issue as the bar will stay there.

I don't think the high density rubber would be a good idea as it could allow movement under stress, exactly what we are trying to avoid.

Naishou, what is the clearance between the bar and the rubber intake pipe. On the orototype there was at least 5mm but on my production it just touches. I would like to know to see if there are production tolerances that need to be taken into account. Unfortunately it is a tight fit between the bonnet and the air inlet and I would prefer they erred closer to the pipe - it is cheaper to replace....

I will advise Whiteline to provide washers to go under the plate for future supply. I would also recommend a washer on top of the plate to provide more strength to resist any bending around the hole where there is least plate strength.

I confirmed the GB discount 0-4 = 0%, 5 - 19 = 10%, and >20 = 20%. But forgot one important fact - delivery, I think it is included for Oz but will confirm first thing tomorrow.

This is the whole barhttp://www.geocities.com/sueatcrestwood/P0008339.JPG

This is the left plate with the washer under http://www.geocities.com/sueatcrestwood/P0008337.JPG

You will notice that there is a small bit of lift because of the putty, but it is acceptable.

As soon as I confirm the delivery details I will post details and open the GB for about 2 weeks.

[Edited by Col on 05-17-2001 at 05:17 AM]
Old 05-17-2001, 04:29 AM

Does it cover your conpliance plate?
Old 05-17-2001, 01:18 PM
Col

It partially obscures it - is that an issue?

Quick Reply: Whiteline strut-brace now available (finally)