Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

wash and wax

Old 05-15-2002, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DaveFromSydney
[B]I got my S2000 with a WaxGuard treatment from the dealer.
They claim it will never need waxing.
I dont totally believe that although perhaps it might not for a year or two?
Anyway, after 2 months it still looks great - except for the swirls (tiny scratches) which I believe were probably created by the clumsy car washers while it spent 6 months in the dealers' showroom.

I wash with a Kitten product - basically the mildest car wash, supposed not to strip wax, nor to add any. And I apply it with a jumbo sponge.

However what takes the time is chamoising it dry - to avoid spotting.
Old 05-15-2002, 05:38 PM

toms2k,

I'm from Sydney and purchased the Zaino range of products direct from Zaino in the US. From memory I printed out their order form from them web and sent it in together with a bank cheque (in equivalent $US dollars, at the time Zaino didn't accept credit cards). I actually emailed Zaino first to get a quote on how much shipping would be.

As for Zaino being the best, all I can say that it takes quite a bit effort and time to apply the products following the procedures on the website, in the end I was happy with the shine, but I have achieved a similar level of shine using various Meguiars products with much less effort and time.

The reason I purchased Zaino products was to try and remove the swirl marks (I have a Black S2000) on my car. I have to say I was disappointed, as I didn't really notice any reduction in the swirl marks. Having said that, I might not have followed the instructions properly. I was getting frustrated with the application process and was running out of time.

naishou,

Have you had much success with removing swirl marks using Meguiars Scratch X ??
I was a bit disappointed with the results.

AlanG
Old 05-15-2002, 06:41 PM

Originally posted by AlanG
Have you had much success with removing swirl marks using Meguiars Scratch X ??
I was a bit disappointed with the results.
My car wasn't black so it's not as unforgiving, but I found that it could remove really shallow scratches completely. If it can do that I figure the swirls ought to go too but I don't have first hand experience. You do have to rub pretty hard with it. You can try a clay bar?
Old 05-15-2002, 08:38 PM

naishou ,

I have tried the clay bar, I think I'm just getting lazy, I just want to get rid of the swirls with a minimum amount of effort !!!

AlanG
Old 05-15-2002, 09:00 PM

well thanks guys.

I believe the Meguiars Gold Class for the wax would be my choice. So far Kmart is the cheapest around.

I saw Zymoil in Autobarn, damn they are pricey..

Thanks again
Old 05-17-2002, 03:03 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a black S2k and live in dusty Arizona. A few months ago my wife was driving the car and felt compelled to wipe of the car with a shop towel - talk about swirl marks, more like scratches over the entire hood, trunk lid, mirrors, etc....

Meet my salvation (or hers as it would be):

Where to buy

I first used the Meguiars Scratch X, and it did a pretty good job. My only complaint is that it leaves an oily residue that prevent adhesion of other waxes. My first run with the polisher (40 minutes total time) eliminated about 60% of the scratches and swirls - but I had to wash it 3 times to get the residue off.

My second pass (a few weeks later) I used 3M Perfect-It for Dark Colored cars P/N 39009 . It worked much better than the Meguiars product and left no pesky residue (still have to wash the car - but only once). The 3M product took about the same amount of time - but left the car virtually swirl mark free.

There is alot of other data on these products in the Wash and Wax sections of the site.

However, my ultimate decision was based on the recommendation from a body-shop nearby that specializes in $100K+ cars and my 2 previous ITR's. He (the owner) uses the exact same polisher and the 3M Professional finisher for the final run on every job he completes. Basically he said you could polish the car for 12 hours straight and not burn through the clear-coat.

Word of warning - Prior to buying the polisher I tried to do it by hand. I got half way across the rear spoiler (30+ minutes) and got it mostly swirl free - but felt like my arms were gonna fall off. The whole car can be done in less than an hour with the Porter Cable.
Old 05-18-2002, 05:25 AM

watch out for orbital buffers cause u might burn the paint work. it is easier if u know what ur doing
Old 05-19-2002, 03:13 AM

Originally posted by toms2k
If you pay someone to do the waxing/polishing, where do you take your car to ? Price they charge ?

Any comment appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Try the Chamois Shack in Nicholson St Carlton - it's owned by an S2000 driver and his ad appears in every edition of the local HSCC newsletter - he offers good discounts to members too.