Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

wash and wax

Old 05-13-2002, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wash and wax

In Australia, those in Melbourne, do you wash and wax yourself ? if yes, what do you use ? From the Car Wash and Wax forum area, ZAINO is the best..can we get them here ?

If you pay someone to do the waxing/polishing, where do you take your car to ? Price they charge ?

Any comment appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-13-2002, 08:55 PM

I generally do ALL my own washing and waxing, and have never had anyone else touch the S2000. I use Meguiars Soft Wash (bright pink one), and use Meguiars Gold Class for the wax.

I once got my previous car washed and polished/waxed by a place not far from you Tom - it's called Crystal Car Care and is in Doncaster Shoppingtown. They did a fairly good job and if I wanted the car to be done fairly quickly (I take forever to do it myself - ie probably at least
Old 05-13-2002, 10:21 PM

I generally use the maguires products too. I tried some Auto Glym polish the other day and it didn't seem anything special. It's hard to find a good polish that's not to messy or to hard to wipe off.
Old 05-13-2002, 11:07 PM

Yeah roger that on the Meguiars stuff. But I only use the Meguiarspolish, or wax, etc. Not the actual wash. It's expensive - just payingfor the name there. Profesisonals will attest to that. that's only for the wash though; their polishes and waxes can't be beat.

A word about Crystal Car Care, I took my car in twic, once for a wash and polish - the works and once just for a quick wash and "detail". They took more care the with the works, but for the quickie, they left spots on the car virtually untouched by the sponge!!! Guess the moral with them is it's the works or nothing. Strange way to run a business.

Do your own dirty work!
Old 05-13-2002, 11:28 PM

My own opinion of Zaino is that it's an overpriced, overhyped version of the same synthetic polymer products you can buy from Meguiars and others. The best thing about synthetics is how long they last, but a wax arguably gives a better shine. I think Zaino has such a reputation because of a kind of snowball effect of word of mouth reports. People are applying it with great care to essentially new cars with excellent finishes. It's hardly surprising that the result looks good - it would with any decent product. I saw an independent wax test where Zaino originally came last. The guys who did it got flamed to hell by Zaino cult members and suddenly it was first I think that says it all.

PS: I use(d) Meguiars Gold Class on the S2000 and Nu Finish synthetic ($7 in Coles) on the WRX. The Nu Finish lasts heaps longer (like 6 months plus) but the Meguiars looks better when just applied.
Old 05-13-2002, 11:36 PM

I tried to get Zaino in Australia without much success. Closes country where there is a dealer is Singapore. They do have a web page but I can't remember it, try serching web for it. I spoke to my nephew in Boston and he reckons Zaino is the best. They seem to keep polishing their car so as to get as many coats as they can with Zaino and you can get Zaino number 1, 2 ,3 , 4, 5, and so on(each for a different purpose).

My wife bought me Enyo car washing pad (or glove), and thats all I use to wash my car - no chemicals, just use pad and water and does a great job. Start washing from top down and even wheels and when I finish with it I just drop it in washing machine and it comes up brand spanking new. Excellent product. You can only buy it in Enyo party plan just like tupperware. As you do not use any chemicals to wash your car the wax will stay on alot longer and is cheaper too and cleaner for environmental as well. Takes me only 20(maximum 30) minutes washing my car too.
Old 05-13-2002, 11:38 PM

By the way I also use Meguiars Gold Class
Old 05-13-2002, 11:51 PM

I often go to the Chamois Shack at 790 Nicholson Street, Carlton (Brunswick?) Phone 9482 5500 for a complete hand wash.

The Chamois Shack is owned by Shaun Bassett who is an S2000 owner and member of the HSCCV

They do a good job and provide a good cappuccino.
Old 05-14-2002, 12:53 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by naishou
[B]The guys who did it got flamed to hell by Zaino cult members and suddenly it was first
Old 05-15-2002, 05:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got my S2000 with a WaxGuard treatment from the dealer.
They claim it will never need waxing.
I dont totally believe that although perhaps it might not for a year or two?
Anyway, after 2 months it still looks great - except for the swirls (tiny scratches) which I believe were probably created by the clumsy car washers while it spent 6 months in the dealers' showroom.

I wash with a Kitten product - basically the mildest car wash, supposed not to strip wax, nor to add any. And I apply it with a jumbo sponge.

However what takes the time is chamoising it dry - to avoid spotting. Washing takes 10 minutes. Drying takes 1 hour.

Quick Reply: wash and wax