Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

VTEC in a vtiR DC2 integra

Old 05-17-2005, 01:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VTEC in a vtiR DC2 integra

Hey guys,

A mate of mine just purchased a DC2 vtiR Integra. I was just wondering if anyone here has driven one.

I had a drive of it last night expecting vtec to hit around 4500rpm like it did in the dc2 type R I drove. Nothing happened. Slight engine note change (very slight, had to listen hard to hear it), but no tiny little kick.

Is this normal?

The car felt like it was pulling through the revs fine. But I always thought there was supposed to be a tiny kick, like in the type R. They can't be that different can they?

wil..
Old 05-17-2005, 05:47 AM
tze

Vtec does not kick in till 5800rpm. I still in fact have my teg; tell your friend on the next service to get honda to increase the mechanical timing to 18deg btdc - then run optimax; cheapest and best performance benefit he is going to get...

Have to admit my car still amazes me - 120Kkm on teh clock and it will out run the first gen clio sport and keep up with the bug eye wrx from roll if get it into vtec range
Old 05-17-2005, 07:37 AM

Exclamation

Hey there.

I drive a Si VTEC Integra, which is essentially the JDM spec VTi-R equivalent.

As far as feeling a 'kick', we understand, is that we can more easily feel a change in torque levels (if it's not smooth). Look at a 'R' curve. You can see the exact change over point and torque increase.

The VTi-R Integra has been tuned for an flat curve, which smooths out any 'kicks' you should feel.

This works, by the intake manifold in the B18C engine has two intake runners for each cylinder, one longer than the other. Under 5800rpm, the longer runner is open, above this figure, the short runner allows more air into the cylinder -> better mid-range + higher power output.

Coupled with VTEC, you can see the GS-R engine has three stages of operation.
Stage 1 (0-4400 RPM): Low-lift cam lobe and long intake runners.
Stage 2 (4400-5800 RPM): High-lift cam lobe and long intake runners.
Stage 3 (5800+ RPM): High-lift cam lobe and short intake runners.

Some people confuse the opening of the short intake runners as VTEC engagement because of the change in sound. It is hard to hear VTEC at 4400 RPM using the dual-stage intake manifold because the long runners restrict flow volume to the engine in order to maintain flow velocity. So for anyone that says VTEC on their VTi-R is engaging at 5800 RPM tell them their ears are not engine tuning devices.

dan
Old 05-18-2005, 06:20 PM

How is the oil level? Someone told me that the VTEC cam wouldn't engage if the oil level was low.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:33 PM

Almost correct tafka: It's actually oil pressure.Years ago I had my VTiR at the Island a couple of weeks after a dealer did an oil change service (15k??) - coming out of southern loop the rev limiter cut in at ~6,000 and the check light came on (no oil light though...) back in the pits looked under the bonnet - nothing obvious, checked the oil - the stick was dry; took 5 litres to bring it back to full. It started using oil after that - was using 3 litres in a thousand km when I traded it. Quote from the (now defunct) dealer service manager: if you use the revs, you will use oil...

I used to wonder what happened to that car (and it's new owner)!
Old 05-18-2005, 07:41 PM

The oil was fine.

I'll let him know about the timing. It could very well possibly be retarded.

Cheers guys
Old 05-18-2005, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by wilch,May 19 2005, 01:41 PM
It could very well possibly be retarded.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by wilch,May 17 2005, 07:32 PM
Hey guys,

A mate of mine just purchased a DC2 vtiR Integra. I was just wondering if anyone here has driven one.

I had a drive of it last night expecting vtec to hit around 4500rpm like it did in the dc2 type R I drove. Nothing happened. Slight engine note change (very slight, had to listen hard to hear it), but no tiny little kick.

Is this normal?

The car felt like it was pulling through the revs fine. But I always thought there was supposed to be a tiny kick, like in the type R. They can't be that different can they?

wil..
I've driven a mates 93 VTi-R, and most recently a friend's brother purchased a 95' VTiR that I also drove. I'd say out of all the DOHC VTEC's I've had the pleasure to drive, the DC2 VTi-R has the least "kick". It depends though, although there was no real 'kick' like i got in my ITR, you could definitely tell it was on VTEC. It revved hard and fast to redline, just like it should...it just didn't feel as aggressive as say the b16a2 or the Prelude VTi-R. Still a solid car though, and lots of fun.

Btw, nit-picking here but from what I recall, my DC2 ITR didn't hit VTEC until around 5,600rpm...it started to get urgent around 5k rpm onwards, then go full-boil around 5.5k rpms.