Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Visting from the US

Old 03-15-2007, 02:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Visting from the US

I'm in Sydney right now for business. This is my first trip to Australia and I've definitely been enjoying it, except for the boring rental car.

Anyway, I was just curious what the locals think are the must-see type things? I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do this weekend. Any suggestions?
Old 03-15-2007, 02:47 AM

depend on wat u like, there r alot of companys does day tours to the blue mountains, pretty cheap too (around 60bux not inc lunch)
Old 03-15-2007, 02:53 AM

Yeah, I was thinking of doing the Blue Mountains. They're worth the trip, you think?

My tentative plans were to hit the Blue Mountains Saturday and the beach/downtown Sunday. I figured the Bridge celebrations should be pretty interesting.

I got in last weekend and checked out a good bit of Sydney, including the bridge climb. I can't believe how big this place is. That's sort of why I posted here. There's no way I'm going to see it all, so I figured I'd see what y'all thought was worth checking out.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:05 AM

lunar park could be worth a visit?

and then visit the local bars around the city, some of the bars with good views are well worth a visit

if you get tired of the city, then take a drive down south. head to wollongong through the national park. that road is always well worth the petrol

or you can go up to the northern beaches, visit palm beach. get there through mccarrs creek road. again a very nice road.

if you get bored at night, the cracker comedy festival is on right now. see some local acts trying to make you laugh
Old 03-15-2007, 03:07 AM

This Sunday the Harbour Bridge is open to pedestrians to walk across (not walk over the top - thats something called Bridgeclimb). The city will be packed with thousands of people.

You can either join them and walk over the bridge, take part in other festivities going on, or head out of the city altogether.

You can catch a ferry from Cirqular Quay to Taronga Zoo. If you want to see some of the wildlife. Darling Harbour also has an aquarium and some new animal place I haven't been to yet.

Sunday it may be difficult to get on a ferry going anywhere, but otherwise Sydney Ferries do a pretty cheap harbour tour trip.

Wander around the historic Rocks area (near the Bridge) enjoy a few beers at the pubs around there. Visit one of the museums around Sydney.
Visit the Chinatown area (get yum cha?).

Head up to the Hunter Valley to check out the wineries.

Depends on what you like I guess.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:12 AM

Wow, thanks for all the suggestions!

Where could I find out about the cracker comedy stuff? I have been a bit bored in the evenings. I wouldn't mind checking those out.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:14 AM

I took my parents to the Minus 5 Bar last week. It is a pretty interesting experience.. freezing your nuts off whilst trying to drink a cocktail.

If you won't be coming back for a while i recommend you go to Ayers Rock. You'll have to take a plane but it is worth the expense.

You can do it in one weekend and avoid the masses in Sydney CBD.

Or if you prefer masses you could check out the F1 in Melbourne. It is only a 1+ hour plane ride and if you have trouble finding a hotel (as you probably will) you can just fly in and out on sunday (not sure you'll get a flight out on Sunday though).

Sorry about not suggesting anything in sydney though... :-(
Old 03-15-2007, 03:16 AM

may be a s2ki cracker comdey meet?
if u r going to blue mountains, make sure the weather is nice, cos it gets pretty wet n foggy up there
Old 03-15-2007, 03:19 AM

Hey cashout! Been a long time since I've seen your name around. I think we met at an autocross a few years ago up in Charlotte, no?
Old 03-15-2007, 03:24 AM

Maybe get some chinese food.

Quick Reply: Visting from the US