Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

vapor lock? engine overheating?

Old 09-16-2002, 04:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vapor lock? engine overheating?

I've been having a strange problem for a while now with my S2000 losing power almost completely for a second or two and almost stalling unless I push in the clutch and rev it up. The problem only occurs in first gear, either from a standing start or when in heavy traffic (riding the clutch).

The symptoms seem to get worse with warmer weather or after I've driven the car hard. It feels exactly like vapour lock for those of you who have ever experienced it.

My theory is that something is not cooling down properly. This would probably be worse when the car is at standstill or moving slowly as there would be much less cold air colling the engine. This would explain why the problem only occurs at very low speeds.

Could it be vapour lock? What about this #4 cylinder problem I've been reading about?

Any thoughts much appreciated

race2k
Old 09-16-2002, 04:14 AM

We've almost all experienced that from time to time and most theories centre on the MAP sensor or the computer just getting confused. It seems to mostly happen in hot weather after sustained low speed running as in heavy traffic. Nobody anywhere in the world has diagnosed it as far as we know and Honda will tell you it's your imagination. Annoying but unfortunately normal for the car. Look for threads referring to "bucking".
Old 09-16-2002, 04:29 AM

Thanks for the reply

Interesting that this appears to be a common problem. I'm just afraid it won't be my imagination when I have an accident because the car almost stalls on a right turn across traffic......Seriously, this has almost happened a couple of times!

I'm thinking of raising this with Honda Australia. Scotts Honda had a look at it but they were "unable to replicate the problem". I guess they won't look at it unless Honda agrees to pay them for it. Maybe Honda will become more interested if I inform them of the near-accidents caused by a problem with their car......

race2k
Old 09-16-2002, 04:33 AM

Best of luck - you're pushing uphill trying to get resolution on this problem.
Old 09-16-2002, 05:01 AM

After reading a few threads on the bucking problem I have no doubt that this is a problem unique to the S2000 and a potentially dangerous one.

I would like to find out how many aussie s2000 owners would be interested in taking this problem to Honda collectively? As I am fairly new to this site I do not now if this sort of approach has been taken before with other issues and if so, how.

My thoughts are to produce a form letter which accurately describes the problem, informs Honda of the potential danger and requests that the problem be fixed. I can then post the form letter on this site. Everyone can then fill it in with their details and send a copy to Honda Australia.

Anyone interested?

race2k

"there's strength in numbers"
Old 09-16-2002, 05:27 AM

Race, I have had this problem for with my S2k for over 3 years - I doubt if I will be keeping it for more than another 1 year. However, am happy to support you if you think you can achieve anything.
Old 09-16-2002, 04:24 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I've had this problem and one of the theories about it has to do with standing hot air in the engine bay. You drive the car hard and it builds up heat but the engine bay is flushed by the constant flow of air. But when you slow down (traffic, set of lights) the hot air stagnates in the engine bay. The next time you open the throttle you get an intake full of hot air. This could lead to detonation and retarding by the ECU.

My approach to this was to install (well, develop and install) a cold air intake. The one I developed is based on the Spoon product and is simply a composite tube that catches air at the front of the car and feeds it into the stock airbox. I haven't had the problem since. Hardly conclusive but good nonetheless.
Old 09-16-2002, 05:35 PM

Originally posted by 2kturkey
Race, I have had this problem for with my S2k for over 3 years - I doubt if I will be keeping it for more than another 1 year. However, am happy to support you if you think you can achieve anything.
So Turkey, what are you going to replace the s2000 with?
yellafella
Old 09-16-2002, 07:11 PM

Based on my finances, probably a Hyundai Accent!

Don't really know - I suspect a lower cost vehicle w/ an FF for fun
Old 09-16-2002, 07:13 PM

Winton maybe your last Hoorah!

Quick Reply: vapor lock? engine overheating?