Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

VAFC Settings for Oz

Old 12-11-2003, 05:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by TODA AU
I've driven a supercharged S2K... (US kit)
Not impressed... IMO Spec A's + Motec is faster...
if this was auss2000's car, I think you betta retest it after he get it tuned properly
I wasn't impressed until I tuned my car too

I've not heard much about spec A + motec gaining 80rwkw. Can you shed some light or info into this.

Thx
Old 12-11-2003, 11:11 AM

honda9krpm - You presume too much...

Regarding 80rwkw gain...
Obviously this is a little optomistic normally aspirated...
However, I stand by what I said... Not impressed...

Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't we were talking about VAFC's...
But I forgot...
It's always about you...
Old 12-11-2003, 11:30 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by honda9krpm
Old 12-11-2003, 11:40 AM

Sorry toda au but I had good result with this unit because I did a lot of research prior to tuning.

I am a believer of this unit for the S2000. It's no good for a civic or integra. The difficulty has always been getting the tuner to believe this, until it's fully tuned. My tuner was surprised at the result too. The difference between civic and s2000 is the fact that f20c is a lot richer during vtec (something I am sure you are well aware of).

BTW I like the toda extractor as well. May be next year christmas present for me Sorry if I talk about my self too much
Old 12-11-2003, 02:55 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

What I read into Toda AU's views on the VAFC is that he is saying that if you spend $75K on an S2000 and another $10K on FI, using a $700 device to tune it that just fools the ECU by changing the MAP sensor is not sensible. He then backs it up by saying that the problem is the ECU's inverse correlation between MAP and timing (add fuel/reduce timing and vv). A lot of people have said "VAFC is crap", but very few have actually backed it up with some reasoning.

This doesn't dispute the fact that H9k is getting a good power gain, nor does it state whether or not the set up H9k is running will last. It's more of a general comment on the method used by the VAFC. If it's working for H9k (and it appears that it is) then I believe more of the credit goes to his tuner than to the VAFC.

The E-manage can do the same thing with the MAP setting so I guess you could say it is 'as good' as the VAFC. But it can also properly control injector cycle, ignition, and perform the boost cut feature required for FI with the OEM ECU. For this reason I would suggest it is 'better' and I think that would be hard to argue with. It even has maps that are 'boost' related and other features I haven't delved into yet.

As for Toda AU not being impressed with the SC, he better be by the end of the day. He is tuning my car as we speak. Seriously though, the only person I'm trying to impress with my car is me!
Old 12-11-2003, 04:16 PM

For the NA setup I dont think you can gain MUCH with messing around with the timing and injection. I am sure naishou or suit36 can shed some light on this topic as one of them played with this about a year ago.

I dont dispute the fact that emanage, motec, aem, an APracing modified Apexi PowerFC(if you are keen to pay the $$$ but we are talking about big wallet here ), HKS FC commander, wolf 3d v4 etc etc are ALL BETTER than the VAFC.

What I am saying is the VAFC is a good bang for your buck with NA setup and a few mods because it works and it's simple/quick to tune. The others are expensive and require a lot dyno time.
Old 12-11-2003, 04:35 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I guess I'm only coming at this from an FI perspective.

For NA I would say there are a couple of schools of thought.

There's the I/H/E idea of warranty friendly bolt-ons and at this level a VAFC is probably suitable although I would seriously look at the E-manage still.

Then there's the more involved mods like stroker crank, cams, and individual throttle bodies. These sort of mods will set you back more than a basic SC but it's a different school of thought. At this level the minimum I would consider would be the E-manage and more likely the AEM, Motec or whatever.
Old 12-11-2003, 04:41 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by honda9krpm
What I am saying is the VAFC is a good bang for your buck with NA setup and a few mods because it works and it's simple/quick to tune.
Old 12-12-2003, 04:07 AM

[QUOTE]As for Toda AU not being impressed with the SC, he better be by the end of the day. He is tuning my car as we speak.
Old 12-12-2003, 04:30 AM

BTW
1. Martin did not tune my car when it was NA, I did. He only help to tune it when I got boost.
2. I will get the Emanage next when I think my car is ready to handle more boost. It will be the "best bang for MY buck" in MY situation. However my opinion on the VAFC and NA or even standard Vortech still stand

Quick Reply: VAFC Settings for Oz