Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Travel - Most Interesting place you have been?

Old 11-23-2001, 10:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buenos Aires for the girls (aaaarghh!!!)
Lived in Oslo for 3 months back when I was heavily involved in snowboarding, loved the idea of taking the tube to go riding - and loved the idea of getting raped too...
Tokyo is still an amazing experience - last time I went surfing in a wave pool in Yokohama!
Studied Russian at school, did an exchange trip to Moscow in '91 - very cool - skateboarded between Ladas and Zils - and met Olga

Reading this thread made me want to go travelling again, damn...
2KTurkey & Takashi ... well I guess to compete with you guys we'd have to take a one-way ticket to Jalalabad now
Old 11-23-2001, 03:05 PM

[i]....Dale, how long ago were you in Jeddah? I lived there a good 10 years of my life, huge city that never sleeps, loved it!. [/B]

I was there for a few months. I actually worked in Rabigh, about 45 minutes out of Jeddah. It was definately an interesting place, except during Ramadan (which of course was when I was there)

Dale
Old 11-23-2001, 09:06 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by DSF_S2k
It was definately an interesting place, except during Ramadan (which of course was when I was there)
Yeah, I spent three weeks in Jakarta during Ramadan. bummer
Old 11-23-2001, 10:02 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bernie
[B]I can't believe some of the places you people have been to!
Old 11-24-2001, 06:09 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 2kturkey
[B]

....and this comes from a man who spends time in Outer Mongolia! !

I could go on and on about my many experiences including riding through the Sahara (and running out of fuel half way ) and getting stuck in down town Vientiane (capital of Laos) during the time it fell to communism in May 1975
Old 11-25-2001, 03:29 AM

well, depends on criteria...

My favourite scenic place is Machu Pichu in Peru. I was there a long time ago... not many tourists around. The approach to Cusco on a Peruvian airline Boieng 707, was one of the highlights. Luckily I had some fresh underwear in my luggage.

Returning to Lima after being stranded for a couple of days "due to fog" was full of drama with hundreds of waiting passengers trying to get into the plane. Not that I was keen, but returning by train had a high chance of meeting unpleasant characters from the "sendero luminoso", so it really was not an option.

Nurelya, in Sri Lanka also left indelible memories, coincidently, at the top of the civil war. Amazing how a war ravaged country kept alive century old traditions left by the colonizers (Portuguese, Dutch and Brits).
Old 11-25-2001, 12:51 PM

Peru is quite fascinating. Sendero Luminoso are not much of a factor these days with their founder in jail forever.

Still, you need to be pretty careful where you go. That said, it'd be a picnic compared to some of the places some of you have been - especially the Turkeymeister!!
Old 11-26-2001, 12:04 AM

Originally posted by Bernie
Peru is quite fascinating. Sendero Luminoso are not much of a factor these days with their founder in jail forever.

Still, you need to be pretty careful where you go. That said, it'd be a picnic compared to some of the places some of you have been - especially the Turkeymeister!!
That's right Bernie - a real picnic!. I neglected to mention that I also rode a motorcycle through Peru in mid 1984 from Lima up to Cusco (took the train to Machu Pichu) and then across to Bolivia. I also was fortunate enough to miss the "Shining Path" guerillas, they're definitely worth avoiding if possible..
Old 11-26-2001, 12:39 PM

Turkeymeister

Admit it. You had/still have a death wish!!

You drove a motorcycle from Lima to Cusco in the mid 80s. Bloody hell, I would have insisted on a Leopard tank to make that journey! If you were still carrying an English passport then, Shining Path would have shot you on that basis alone.

On the other hand, if you had a Chinese National passport....
Old 11-26-2001, 12:48 PM

Originally posted by Bernie
Turkeymeister

Admit it. You had/still have a death wish!!

You drove a motorcycle from Lima to Cusco in the mid 80s. Bloody hell, I would have insisted on a Leopard tank to make that journey! If you were still carrying an English passport then, Shining Path would have shot you on that basis alone.

On the other hand, if you had a Chinese National passport....
Actually, it was just part of a long ride from the US (bought the bike in LA in 1984 and toured most of the western states) before heading south and not stopping till I reached Argentina. Biggest hassle was getting from Panama to Columbia (now that's a long story and definitely worth a separate thread) but there were a few incidents in some of the more war torn countries such as El Salvador and Nicaragua.

This was my second attempt at such a journey. On my first go (in 1975) I bought a bike in New York but only got as far south as Guatemala before heading North again.

Quick Reply: Travel - Most Interesting place you have been?