Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

track test - S2000 vs 350Z

Old 11-03-2003, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

David, what about one of the new 4WD Monaros? That should launch better than anything short of a McLaren. They also fit your cost/budget nicely. No mods required, no warranty issues.
Old 11-03-2003, 01:35 PM

I haven't heard of these yet RR any details or links? Whose drivetrain are they using?
Old 11-03-2003, 02:00 PM

Austblue, they were on display at the Sydney Motor Show. Perhaps they rated a mention in our thread about that show?

I recall there were also articles about them in most of the major newsapers. Perhaps do a search on Drive, Sydney Morning Herald, carpoint etc?

Later Edit: Try these

http://carsguide.news.com.au/sydneymotorshow/

http://carsguide.news.com.au/sydneymotorsh...2-28977,00.html

It looks like they won't be available until June 2004 and cost will be "Less than $95,000"
Old 11-03-2003, 02:13 PM

David, what about one of the new 4WD Monaros? That should launch better than anything short of a McLaren. They also fit your cost/budget nicely. No mods required, no warranty issues.

hehe, for one thing I'd have to wait 'till March and I don't want to wait much loger. Another thing, they are far from a 'sports car' in a sense that I'm looking for .... afterall, with the weight of 1800kg they are the polar opposite (even with 270kW). The 285kW rear-wheel-drive GTO (which weights 1650kg) is a much 'sportier' proposition, but it still is no Boxster or 911.

Also if you get the manual then the gearbox and padal placement are superior in a Camry (practically imposible to heal&toe) ... so again far from a 'sports car experience'. The steering is not what you'd want either when comparing to the likes of Boxster and S2000.

So really, to have a nice package from this you'd have to get the Auto and as nice a crusiser that it will/might be, it is not a Boxster, Elise, 911 or Ferrari kind of a car. Though, thanks for the suggestion as you can never have enough of those.

ps. It just happens that my parents got another car 4 days ago - a Monaro CV8-R. 245kW gun-metal-gray with very nice 18" wheels. I think it has sportier suspension but on the inside in has beige leather and all the 'luxuries' including an auto. I drove it and the car is beutifull insode and out and you can't really complain about the quality much. The auto box is nice as well and the steering is very much imprved. The car feels a lot ligher than the HSV R8 (even though there's only 100kg in it) and has a very sporty (maybe GT) feel about it. Still, as nice as it is, it is nothing like a Boxster or the S2000.

I'm after a car that involves the driver, has very good driving position and steering, pedal, gearbox feel. Also I want raw speed and brilliant brakes. The engine should have some 'sporty' feel to it and the car needs to handle well. Last, but but least the car needs to be somewhat compact (preferable a 2 seater) and not too heavy. Then I'm not much into 'electronic safty' features unless they can be switched off. Convertible is a 'bonus' but not a priority. Oh and RWD is a pre-requisite (that it unless it's one of the RWD biased 4WD systems like Porsche, Lamborghini or EVO use).

I don't ask for mych ... do I? ;-) My idea car would be F360, but then for that I'd need close $300k (2nd hand) and is way more that I've got to spend.
Old 11-03-2003, 05:23 PM

Here in Melbourne it's a public holiday today because of a certain horse race and so we have time to indulge in a little idle electronic chatter

DavidM, looking at what you said here.........

Old 11-03-2003, 06:35 PM

[B]David, as I read these specifications they shriek at me
Old 11-03-2003, 07:45 PM

A Mazda RX8?

A Mitsubiushi EVO?

A used Honda NSX?
Old 11-03-2003, 08:03 PM

A used Honda S2000?
Old 11-03-2003, 10:17 PM

It won't be that easy to get much power out of 350Z. They are pretty similar to s2000 in that respect - make sure you check out some of the forums first.

How about a used NSX? - although spending the 70-80k for a 10 year old car may not be your thing.
Old 11-04-2003, 01:56 AM

It won't be that easy to get much power out of 350Z. They are pretty similar to s2000 in that respect - make sure you check out some of the forums first.

The local 350Z guys are hooked on the 'hitech' exhaust (but the same people who make the exhaust for the GTP car). I have now seen 3 or 4 separate local dyno plots that were taken on the same day/dyno with the exhaust on/off (on different cars) and they are getting extra 15 kW or so. I even went for a spin in one of those cars and it felt quick (couple post up).

The GTP 350Z has extra 30kW or so.

So it does not seem that hard to get power out of it .... why would it be hard ... it's a 3.5L with 'only' 206kW? S2000 has 176kW out of 2.0L. I don't see how the the engines are anywhere alike.

Accordong to the Nissan crowd they think that 250kW is doable with chip + exhaust + intake + cams.

A used Honda S2000?

That's no different to what I had, but for the price it's hard to go by. Still, I would not buy an S2000 that was more than 1 year old and had lots of warranty still left. But a used 2003 (or even 2002) model is a possibility. Though, you can get brand new ones for resonable price so it's a toss-up of whther it is worth it.

How about a used NSX? - although spending the 70-80k for a 10 year old car may not be your thing

Yep, too old a car. I entertained the idea of a 2nd-hand NSX before I bought the S2000, at that stage I was thinking about 4 - 5 year old one.

A Mazda RX8?

Not a 'sports car' in my books, but a performance sedan. If I wanted a sedan, this could be close to the mark though. As ut is RX8 is good 15kW down on power of the S2000 and has extra 80kg to carry .... so really it's very much an car with all the S2000's weaknesess and without the 'benefits' (of the same magnitude) as the S2000. Between the RX8 and S2000, it's the S2000 all the way for me.

A Mitsubiushi EVO?

I drove one (EVO VI), very quick car that does not feel like a 4WD/front-wheel-drive. The steering was nice abd the gearbox was not bad. And of couse it stops well and turn lap-times like no other car. Though, despite all that it still looks and feel like a $20k Lancer on the inside and outside. I've made the choise between the S2000, EVO and STi 3 years ago, and it took very little thinking for me to choose the S2000. My opinion/situation has not changed. Again would be nice if I wanted a familiy car, but I'd probably take the STi if that is what I was after. EVO or STi (or even RX8) is more a 2nd car for me ... besides a 'sports' car.

At the moment I'm leaning towards the 350Z with the lightweight 18" rims, with the 'hitech' exhaust and with sportier (and much lighter) Recaro-like seats. That would bring he weight down to just under 1400kg and would be pushing around 220kW (at the crank). Even though I'm not bit on getting cars that need to be modified ... I'd probably be willing to do the above.

ps. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Quick Reply: track test - S2000 vs 350Z