Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

track test - S2000 vs 350Z

Old 10-27-2003, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One more thing that I forgot to mention as far as RedRovers 'concept' goes ... and it's the most important part. Any S2000 that I would get needs (unconditionally) the factory warranty. With the amount of things that 'broke' on mine within 2.5 years, I'm not game enough to own an S2000 without warranty coverage.

I dont think the GTP S2000 is that great. I think the engineer in that team should be sacked. They should hire someone on this board instead.

As Naishou mentioned, the GTP cars have very strick rules to wehat they can/cannot change. For one thing the cams, gears, drivetrain and clutch must be 100% stock.

Also, I would say they did a very good job to get 195kW out of the S2000. Amuse 'project' car produces about that much power with all their mods. If Amuse cannot produce anymore power when money-is-no-object, then I doubt anyone else can.

...for $300K plus, it'd have to be the Gallardo now!

I'm with you on that Bernie ... though my 'imaginary budget' does not stretch that far (yet) :-)
Old 10-27-2003, 07:03 PM

Originally posted by DavidM
As Naishou mentioned, the GTP cars have very strick rules to wehat they can/cannot change. For one thing the cams, gears, drivetrain and clutch must be 100% stock.

Also, I would say they did a very good job to get 195kW out of the S2000. Amuse 'project' car produces about that much power with all their mods. If Amuse cannot produce anymore power when money-is-no-object, then I doubt anyone else can.
Ahhh that makes sense
I think they will benefit more with an Injen CAI or pick a different car
Old 10-27-2003, 07:14 PM

I think they will benefit more with an Injen CAI or pick a different car

Funny you say that ... after a couple seasons with the S2000 they switched to an STi (which can have it's boost upped to 1.3bar) and won their share of the races. The S2000 is/was not suited to be competitive under the current rules.

Though, the 350Z that's running in there has the rev-limiter raised to 7,100rpm (frpom 6,600rpm) and also had wilder cams. Though, that's what the rules allowed for that car but not the S2000.
Old 10-28-2003, 08:17 PM

Another 350Z comparo was done recently by US Road&Track magazine. They compared it to an M3 SMG, 911 Targa and Z06. As crazy as it sounds, these guys got better lap time from the 350Z than 911 or the M3 (even though it's ever so marginal). The SMG and Targa cars should return slower lap times than the manual and C2 versions of the cars, but I'm still finding this hard to swallow .... maybe the 350Z is that easy to extract the best out of?! Or maybe they can't drive.

The track times were as follows:
- Z06 = 1:36.50
- 350Z Track = 1:40.06
- M3 SMG = 1:40.09
- 911 Targa = 1:40.79

ps. Here is the actual article: http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?pr...mber=1&preview=
Old 10-28-2003, 10:41 PM

In that article they have a formula (see below). How does that formula compare with our previous attempts at making a bang for buck formula?

"We derived a way to compare Performance Per Dollar of our varied group, in a sense another Z-Factor: In the expression:

(A x B x SL x SK x L) ⁄
Old 10-29-2003, 01:19 AM

I stumpled across these pics today.....

God....you never know what's underneath the bonnet these days

Old 10-29-2003, 02:36 AM

[B]In that article they have a formula (see below). How does that formula compare with our previous attempts at making a bang for buck formula? (A x B x SL x SK x L) ⁄
Old 10-29-2003, 12:18 PM

DavidM, would forced induction be enough to overcome the negatives on a 350Z?
Old 10-29-2003, 02:20 PM

Hey RedRover,
My biggest issue with the 350Z at this very moment is all the 'electronic interference' from the car. For instance:
- The VDC (stability control) is not 100% off even when you flick the switch to OFF.
- The throttle is shut down when you apply the brakes. Does not sound like a big deal, but that means that you can't left foot brake to balance the car.

Though, the VDC is the bigger issue for me and I'm trying to find out what can be done about it.

The forced-induction, I'm sure would make the 350Z deliver some top-end power and the car would probably be insanely fast. Probably could be a very low boost system and it would do the job.

Though, a lot of the Australian guys with the 350Z have fitted a 'hi tech' exhaust (looks standard) and accorning to their pre and post dynos, they are getting extra 15 - 20kW of top end power ... they are all very happy with the exhaust.

Also the GTP 350Z has extra 30kW on the 'standard' car and revs to 7,100rpm (instead of 6,600rpm). That car has a custom chip/motech, the 'hi tech' exhaust and also higher-lift cams though.

So, I'm sure that something can be done about the engine issue ... it's just a matter of money and warranty.
Old 11-03-2003, 02:27 AM

I just came back from being taken for a spin in a 350Z by one of the guys who have fitted a custom 'hi tech' exhaust (which seems to improve top end power according to the dyno). I was very impressed with the feel of the car and the power. It pulled very well all the way to the redline, was not loud but sounded good. Still, the power (and power delivery) was great.

The guys even did a few standing-start launches and the car moved and luanched very nicely. He's also got the speacial 'light weight' 18" wheels and lighter Recaro seats. Nissan should bring out a car just like that for the 'enthusiasts' .... I'm sure it would sell well.

Quick Reply: track test - S2000 vs 350Z