Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Sydney Water restrictions

Old 10-29-2003, 09:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How are you guys coping with the water restrictions in Sydney?
Hoses not allowed. Must use a bucket.

I used to wash my car every weekend or two and I used to use copious quantities of water from a hose to remove the grime before washing, to rinse the detergent off and to blast the crap out from the wheels and underbody.

With the wet weather and having been overseas for two weeks I havent had to wash the car since the restrictions started. I am a bit worried about the job I will do with only a bucket. If I dont get the grime off thoroughly I will scratch the paint surface when I wash.

Are there places which provide the high-pressure water to allow you to do your own hand washing? If so are they still able to operate? How do even the regular commercial car washes operate?

I want my car to look like this again.
Old 10-29-2003, 12:22 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Commercial car washes all use water recycling so aren't effected by the ban. I'm hoping the Car Lovers or Laser Wash place have hand washing facilities. Any body know?
Old 10-29-2003, 12:26 PM
Muz
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've been living with water restrictions for the last 12 months on the Gold Coast. Many people claim they use more water when using buckets to wash their car than hoses, including myself. I know it takes me about 8 buckets just to remove all the dust and loose dirt before I start washing and then add another 8 buckets or so to rinse after washing plus what you use during the procedure. It is also nearly impossible to keep up to the car drying ahead of you unless you pick very early morning or late evening to do the job.

So I started going to the car wash (Car Lovers) where I can spray the detergent on but then still wash by hand. Having said that it's nearly impossible to maintain your car the way you'd like when water restrictions are in force. Funny thing is people are still allowed to hose their gardens (by hand held hose only). It a PITA and I'm sure the car wash operators are becoming millionaires as a result.
Old 10-29-2003, 12:53 PM

I usually take a bucket, sponge, chamois etc down to carlovers and use their hoses and spray the suds into the bucket. If you go on a cooler day with little wind you can generally wash most of the car without it drying since you're in the shade. Usually only costs $5 or so.

Do be careful though the high pressure hose isn't good for your paint area or around your soft top.

Here's the site to go to for info on the restrictions.
http://www.sydneywater.com.au/everydropcou...ws/WR_index.cfm

It seems to me that not much logic and thought have gone into the restrictions though I guess that we are a little biased since cars are higher on our priority list then most. Wouldn't it make more sense to allow people to wash their cars on the lawn with a hose so that they are watering the lawn with the run off?

Ive noticed that alot of cars are still moping around with that dust layer from the other day carlovers would be rubbing their hands together.
Old 10-29-2003, 02:49 PM

Yep. My car is still covered in crap. It looks like someone sprayed the car with water then sprinkled clay dust all over the car.

I used 3 bucket's yesterday to clean the windows.... also decided to throw some water on the roof and bonnet with a bucket. Did it do anything? nope....the car is still covered in the same layer of crap it was before I threw any water on it.

For the first time ever I want it to pour down...heavy.... I will gladly move my car into the rain if it does.

wil..
Old 10-29-2003, 03:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I peeked at the Car Lovers in Chatswood as I drove by this morning and I saw big machines and vacuums and I saw a man soaping his car by hand. I did not notice any hoses? Do they have them? Can I just go in there, pay the full price and just legally use a hose that spurts out clean water at a decent pressure? I can bring my own detergent, mitt and towels.
Old 10-29-2003, 03:55 PM

Dave they have two different hoses and a dial that you switch to get what you want. One hose is a gerni type connection which you can use to rinse your car and then switch the dial to suds and either fill up your bucket or just hose straight onto your car. I guess this depends on how dirty your car is if its just the dust then you could probably get away with just spraying rather than using a bucket and sponge. Then you can rinse using the different setting and chamois etc.

The other hose is a broom style foaming brush that you could use to wash instead of a sponge but I would only use something like this on a beater its too rough for my liking. Some people use them for their trucks and 4wds and it leaves solids behind which some say can be removed with a spray from the gerni but I dont buy it.
Old 10-29-2003, 03:56 PM

Instead of just using a bucket, use a watering can with a shower type head. This spreads the water much more evenly and it is a lot easier to wash the car.

If you don't have that, any sort of large jug with a spout will also be a lot easier than chucking a bucket of water at the car and hoping it goes in the right spot.

Also I have at home a high pressure steam machines (only a little hand held job), I think I may give this a go and see what it is like...have to find the instructions and see if it is suitable for cars first.

M@
Old 10-29-2003, 04:29 PM

Be careful Matt High pressure doesnt go well with cars. Id say that it'd only be suitable for the underbody and perhaps parts of the engine bay but be really careful there.
Old 10-29-2003, 04:29 PM

Dave, don't use the broom/brush at those places. They're full of grit from the previous vehicles that have been through and will leave scratch/swirl marks on your duco.

Just use the high pressure water but don't aim it at the window seals.

Quick Reply: Sydney Water restrictions