Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Stock WRX vs. STi as a starter.

Old 10-24-2001, 03:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock WRX vs. STi as a starter.

I know this is kinda off topic but a number of other threads talk about WRXes vs. S2000s vs. Elises etc.. I also know there are a lot of ex-, or current, Rex owners out there.

What I am wondering is how good deal an STi is compared to a standard Rex. There is approximately a 14k (or 33%) price premium on the STi and for that sort of money I am sure you could hot up a Rex well beyond a standard STi - on second thoughts you could probably spend 1/2 that and still have a much quicker car. Am I wrong here or is the STi really streets ahead?

On the other hand where would you go if you chose the STi as the base platform to start your breathing upon. My guess is that the STi probably has much less to give as it is already that much more highly tuned.

I am all ears guys, your thoughts please....
Old 10-24-2001, 04:48 AM

I don't and have never owned either (as you know) but I have one friend with a '97 WRX and another with a '99 STi. I'm sure someone else will answer your questions better, but as far as I know the main difference between the WRX and Sti is the 4WD system - the WRX has 60/40 (front/back) torque spit maximum, while the STi has 50/50. Also, the brakes are bigger and better and so is the gearbox. Though, if you're talking the new model STi then you also get a 6-speed gear-box over the WRX.

These are 'bits' that you cannot really upgrade on the WRX (though I'm no expert) .... expept for the brakes of course.

ps. I know of a guy who has an STi (not the brand new one) that is slighty worked. He's pulling ~20kW more at the wheel than 'stock' STis .... I can't tell you exaclty what he has done but I can find out for you if you're interested.
Old 10-24-2001, 04:53 AM

I never modified my wrx, as I saw/heard of too many problems as a result. Subaru have even issued notices that 3rd party exhausts often cause heat problems at the turbo.

I think the STi is a good deal, as you get the correct mods and a warranty on them all, and it *should* be reliable. Yeh, the first STis were unreliable, but I'd say these new ones should be pretty good.
Old 10-24-2001, 05:44 AM

I'll start with an STi if I have to choose between the both, having friends that own both the STi and normal sedan I can say that they're completely different cars. No matter how much money you pour into a normal WRX to try and make it even better than an STi version, pour the same amount of money in and you'll get double the exceptions.

Besides, the STi has enough factory goodies to keep most owners happy. A tweak of with a boost controller, larger intercooler, proper exhaust and a chip. The power output is simply amazing. Upgrade the suspension to something like Zeal Function B6, Cusco Comp-2 or 3 and the car is as good as anything. With a final fully adjustable Cusco racing LSD upgrade to drop the power distribution to 35F/65R ... The car handles like a beast. Not to forget about the brakes, a 4 pot rear and 6 pot front Endless caliper braking system upgrade will do the job nicely for road or track use with some Potenza 540s.

Now with so many good factors about it, I don't see why an STi isn't the way to go. Besides, the extra is worth it since factory output for both is a significant 60ps approximately. Don't ask me to do the KW thing, I'm Japanese remember? Nevertheless, a turbocharged 4WD is quite unlimited in all ways of modifications and development when compared to N/A or N1 spec tuning.
Old 10-24-2001, 01:56 PM

If I remember correctly, Motor tested a worked WRX (I think about $15,000 woth of upgrades) that they said was the second fastest car they had tested over the 1/4. I think it was about 0.1 seconds behind a GT3.

Motor have had heaps of articles on worked WRXs but of course, they never talk about the problems that the upgrades cause
Old 10-24-2001, 02:16 PM

I am a current WRX owner. I bought a stock MY00 because the price difference was about 25-30k and there were not enough differences to make it worth it. Back then I could have had a near new genuine STi engine, exhaust, suspension and driveline put in the base model for less than buying the STi. The brakes and gearbox were the same back then.

There are many reputable and reliable suppliers of engine parts (usually bolt on) and tuning services for the WRX that can basically get you whatever power you like. You can reliably make more power and torque from a modified WRX engine than you get in the STi. Suspension and driveline can also be improved beyond STi levels fairly cheaply. The fastest car I've ever seen around Wakefield is a modified WRX - it blew away STis. Engine work from APS is warranted for 3 years and ADR approved. Some of that and Whiteline or DMS (Aus made coilovers) suspension and the STi won't see where you went.

That said, there are many more differences between the new STi and the base WRX, and the price difference is now less than 15k, plus they will be easier to get. Here are some of the differences that come to mind

Variable valve timing
forged pistons and strengthened rods
hollow, sodium filled exhaust valves
Bigger, roller bearing turbo
larger diameter exhaust
inverted strut suspension (basically everything changed)
Brembo brakes front and rear
6 speed gearbox (also stronger)
better LSD front and rear (normal WRX has open front diff)
stronger centre diff (probably)
intercooler water spray
wider wheels and tyres
projector beam headlights
different interior (seats and minor stuff)
exterior temp gauge
better stereo

Nowadays there is no way you can get all that for less than 15k. You also get a vehicle that is warranted by Subaru and has high resale value and can be insured. There is no longer any argument in my opinion. My next car will be an STi unless it turns out to be a complete lemon for some unknown reason.

You could still make a normal WRX faster round a track for less money, but a relatively low spend on the STi will make it faster again. Minor boost increase and new anti-roll bars is all I'm thinking and you have a major track weapon that you can insure and resell. Awesome
Old 10-24-2001, 02:33 PM

Naishou

You would be in a better position to comment on this than anyone else I know.

Comparison between the S2000 and the WRX. What is your angle on this?
Old 10-24-2001, 03:37 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bernie
[B]Naishou

You would be in a better position to comment on this than anyone else I know.
Old 10-24-2001, 04:15 PM

I had a MY98 WRX which I did a bit of work to. I had an APS kit on it (exhaust, filter, cold air intake, water injection and UniChip), suspension work (A'PEXi adjustable suspension, Whiteline sway bars and links, and STi strut brace) in addition to a few other bits and pieces inc 17in wheels. This car was fairly fast, but definitely felt fast. You could easily blow away other cars from the lights, as when it came on boost (around 3000rpm), there would pretty much be no competition. If you were to drop the clutch, there wasn't much on the road that could stand a chance from a standing start. As Naishou has said, it wasn't the most refined car out of the factory, but with a bit of sound deadening work, it was reasonably good.

For the money, I would not hesitate in recommending a WRX. If the new shape had have appealed, I probably would have gone with that again (probably an STi though) instead of the S2000. For me though, I was after something a bit more refined and special, and that is why the S2000 appealed. The fact that it has leather, HIDs, is convertible, and is still fairly quick coupled with the fact that it is relatively rare on the road, made it an obvious choice.

As a city car for day-to-day driving, I would probably go with an STi over an S2000, especially if space is important. But the fact is I don't use my S2000 as a daily driver, and can think of nothing better than putting the top down on the weekends and hearing the sound of VTEC. Whilst I have only had my S2000 for 4 months, I am very happy with it and really don't have any regrets.
Old 10-24-2001, 04:51 PM

Originally posted by Alister
As Naishou has said, it wasn't the most refined car out of the factory, but with a bit of sound deadening work, it was reasonably good.
Look again. There must have been some changes since the MY98 since mine is very quiet and smooth in both engine/driveline and suspension. I would say the WRX is much more "refined" than the S2000, but that depends on your definition. I don't think NVH was a priority for Honda, but even so the suspension is remarkably supple and the engine smooth. It's just that comparitively, the WRX is much smoother and quieter. At cruise the WRX is very comfortable, whereas I have to raise my voice to be heard in the S2000. The WRX feels more isolated from the road - and this is not always a plus. I actually enjoy the connected feeling that the S2000 gives. In the WRX, I can't even hear or feel my engine at idle sometimes, but you hear the turbo and exhaust once it spools up. The only thing "unrefined" about my WRX is the interior trim which rattles, squeaks and groans constantly and very annoyingly. I'd rather take it all out and have a lighter track car!

Quick Reply: Stock WRX vs. STi as a starter.