Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Spoon Throttle Body & CAI Performance Review

Old 09-08-2001, 03:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spoon Throttle Body & CAI Performance Review

Got some serious testing done last night through the Royal National Park and the Harbour Tunnel. Just got the Spoon throttle body and Spoon CAI installed while currently running the OEM air filter. Performance from low to mid end torque has definitely increased greatly while once VTEC range is engaged ... The revs towards the redline are met with much faster speeds.

On idle, there is a low hissing and humming sound produced by the Spoon CAI and cold-air intake is dramatically heard through mid to high end revs. All I can say is, it's a definitely performance booster as the F20c cold air intake is an important essential in extracting the most power out of the block. On a whole, definitely a complete ideal package to upgrade and performance can be significantly felt and justified. I'm looking forward to clocking faster lap times at Wakefield Park in the near future as well.

Old 09-10-2001, 04:14 PM

Takashi, who installed it for you and how much was this investment ? - am looking at the Spoon CAI
Old 09-10-2001, 04:23 PM

I installed everything myself ... It's pretty easy once you've seen people do it once. That's how I usually learn to change parts that don't require drastic tools. The Spoon throttle body assembly is quite expensive, approximately AUD$1,000 and the Spoon carbon fibre airduct is approximately AUD$600 if I'm not wrong as well.
Old 09-10-2001, 06:02 PM

IS IT WORTH JUST PUTTING THE SPOON CAI ON ONLY , DO U THINK IT WILL STILL MAKE A DIFFERENCE AND WHERE WOULD I GET IT AND WOULD I HAVE TO MAKE ANY MODS FOR IT TO GO ON...
Old 09-10-2001, 09:25 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have reason to believe there will be a locally made option anytime now. I'll make sure you get a special discount if you promise to take the CAPS LOCK off in future posts
Old 09-11-2001, 03:50 AM

WHAT ABOUT ME?
how about now?
Old 09-11-2001, 04:51 AM

Goul, yes the caps are quite attentive. Anyway, yes the Spoon CAI itself is a good enough upgrade to work with either an OEM air filter or something less restrictive like the Spoon air filter or Trust Airinx II air filter because the principal intake system of the OEM F20c does not provide enough cold air into the engine at any given day or time. By the time the air from the outside reaches the OEM intake system, the air is already warm at any given day or time. What you will find with just the Spoon CAI upgrade is that acceleration across the band will be significantly improved.

Though, if you have an aftermarket throttle body assembly like Spoon to complete the whole intake system upgrade properly which has a bigger opening of approximately 70mm instead of the OEM 65mm for cold air intake across the board ... That will improve torque across the band with horsepower increase. Spoon uses the OEM throttle body assembly that is later modified to their performance specifications and sold which I feel is much safer buying from a JDM performance tuner and definitely most efficient. The finish product is very high grade compared to the OEM throttle body assemby with a smooth throttle gate surrounding unlike the OEM one which is quite considerably unsmooth.

You can get the Spoon CAI online at - Taka Kaira though the Spoon CAI is always in high demand and out of stock or the Import Development CAI, or speak to Mingster on the main board about this. The difference between both CAIs can be found in the thread, "JDM Spoon Cold-air Induction Pipe". And you'll be impressed with either version, though getting your hands on one readily at this time is quite impossible. There is a significant waiting time on both versions.
Old 09-11-2001, 06:44 AM

It seems counter intuitive that a bigger intake will improve midrange torque. Can anyone explain?
Old 09-11-2001, 03:03 PM

Sorry about the caps guys !!!!!
Old 09-11-2001, 03:42 PM

Originally posted by jschmidt
It seems counter intuitive that a bigger intake will improve midrange torque. Can anyone explain?
It's actually a larger throttle body assembly and a colder intake system that increases torque and horsepower across the power band.

Quick Reply: Spoon Throttle Body & CAI Performance Review