Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Sign of things to come?

Old 09-17-2008, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vyets,Sep 18 2008, 01:42 AM
It pays too be nice too a cop.

I organized a "bad" thing one night and there was a bunch of us there, anyway cops came. I can't go into detail but lets say the cop let me and all my mates off because he recognized me from last time and I was nice not an idiot. I was surprised he let us of..

Pretty I told you about this jono ROFL! Best story ever.
Being nice to cops, is not going to stop them pulling over S2000s because the car is getting a hoon car image. And being nice to cops so you can get away with breaking the law is not really the right reason.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:47 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Just a bad cop on a bad day. Cool that you gave him what for without losing your temper.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by TAAXED,Sep 18 2008, 01:30 AM
I used to get pulled over heaps for RBT when I was on my Ps, maybe once every month on average, significantly more around summer time.
So the cops were pulling you because you were a P plater, or a P plater in a nice car.
I am not on my Ps and my car looks pretty stock, so the only reason I caught the cops attention in the rush hour traffic, must have been the type of car I was driving (I was several cars behind him remember). In MAD's case the cop even did a U turn to follow him and when he did not give the cops cause to pull him over, they pull out the RBT card.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm all for Police powers to randomly stop people. What concerns me is that our car, which up to recently has been out of the price range for the average hoon, is now becoming one of the classes of vehicles which is synonymous with hoon type behaviour, like your Skyline, Evos and WRXs.

In my case the cop in question was clearly annoyed that I did not give him cause to stop me. He even forgot to bring the breath analyser in his haste to start giving me a grilling. Bear in mind that this was rush hour traffic, so stopping me in the middle of a queue at the lights was just unnecessary.
His tone was abrupt and patronising, considering I had done nothing wrong and this was supposed to be an RBT. I have been pulled over regularly at RBTs and the cops have always been polite and I've been on my way within 30 seconds. So I think there is an element of dud cop here too.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stevharr,Sep 17 2008, 06:52 PM
Up he comes with "Morning Sir, random breath test, can I see your licence"
Even that is excessive. I have been through many RBTs and they never ask for my licence.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by stevharr,Sep 18 2008, 10:49 AM
So the cops were pulling you because you were a P plater, or a P plater in a nice car.
I am not on my Ps and my car looks pretty stock, so the only reason I caught the cops attention in the rush hour traffic, must have been the type of car I was driving (I was several cars behind him remember). In MAD's case the cop even did a U turn to follow him and when he did not give the cops cause to pull him over, they pull out the RBT card.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm all for Police powers to randomly stop people. What concerns me is that our car, which up to recently has been out of the price range for the average hoon, is now becoming one of the classes of vehicles which is synonymous with hoon type behaviour, like your Skyline, Evos and WRXs.

In my case the cop in question was clearly annoyed that I did not give him cause to stop me. He even forgot to bring the breath analyser in his haste to start giving me a grilling. Bear in mind that this was rush hour traffic, so stopping me in the middle of a queue at the lights was just unnecessary.
His tone was abrupt and patronising, considering I had done nothing wrong and this was supposed to be an RBT. I have been pulled over regularly at RBTs and the cops have always been polite and I've been on my way within 30 seconds. So I think there is an element of dud cop here too.
The time I got pulled over for a RBT near my house was about 2 years ago, but I remember seeing a car speeding down the road on the wrong side of the road, then it turned out to be that police car.

I used to get asked to state my full name and address after they took my license etc. etc. etc.

Some of them really probably have nothing better to do! At least he didn't ask you to pop open your hood and then go poking around!
Old 09-17-2008, 04:35 PM

Come move to Brisbane. I don't think we've got that hoon image of s2000's yet.
Honestly, I've never seen an S flog it on the streets in Brisbane. I just hear mine every once in a while....
Old 09-17-2008, 05:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Do$tylz,Sep 18 2008, 10:35 AM
Come move to Brisbane. I don't think we've got that hoon image of s2000's yet.
Honestly, I've never seen an S flog it on the streets in Brisbane. I just hear mine every once in a while....
It doesn't have to be a direct association though. When people see things like

this

and this

and this

and this

and this

and this

then this

and this

and this

and this (sorry Vuey)

THEN this

and this

and finally this

and this

and this

and: Hoons, this is what we do to your car

you can't blame people (including cops) for associating all hoon activity with sports or "sporty" cars driven by young males. Even something as legit as a stock(-looking) S2000.

It's called generalisation, and it doesn't just have to be in Brisbane
Old 09-18-2008, 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by TAAXED,Sep 18 2008, 11:05 AM
At least he didn't ask you to pop open your hood and then go poking around!
That, was my biggest fear throughout the whole ordeal.... One day it will happen, and I will have to deal with the consequences.

There is no doubt in my mind that the S2000's days as a prestige car are numbered. As an example I was waiting for a taxi on George Street with my wife last Saturday night and there were these two S2000s with P plates and the most ridiculous looking chrome wheels I have ever seen, Vtecing up and down the road really impressing everyone

I called out to one of them and asked; "Whatever possessed you to put those wheels on your car?" And gave him a disapproving (patronising) shake of the head

He just looked at me like I was an idiot, he really couldn't see how stupid the car looked (And now Vuey no longer has his, I will say this openly) chrome wheels cheapen the image of a great looking car, they do not augment it.

I mean why would you do that? Have you ever seen an NSX with chromes?

I really feel as though being an S2000 owner is no longer what it was.

Anyone interested in buying a stock-looking 400HP S2000?
Old 09-18-2008, 03:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who really cares.

There are poeple who cheapen all cars. Even Ferraris can be chromed up with the hectic treatment.

Any powder selling chum can cheapen a 360 modena, doesnt mean its a hoon mobile.

I still love my s2000. An when they are worth 15k and every 17yr old drives one, mine will still look amazing. To me especially.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:46 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Well said Mad.

And somebody call Steve a waa-waaa-wambulance .

Quick Reply: Sign of things to come?