Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Semi slick tyres *again :-)

Old 12-03-2003, 12:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by qk2000
Old 12-03-2003, 12:50 AM

This was posted by AusS2000 on November-14-2003 @ 07:45AM in the "Good price on Goodyear Eagle F1s" thread.

"I would add to that and say that track heat is very different to road heat because track driving is very different to road driving (one would hope).

The reason we have road tyres and track tyres is that each are designed to operate in a specific heat range. Road tyres overheat quickly on the track, track tyres never get to their grip point on the road. If a certain tyre actually gets to a good grip point during track work I can only say that it isn't recommended for day to day driving."

The reason why I've dragged it into here is that 1) it's relevant and 2) I've recently done a little experiment that I'd like to share and receive feedback/comments/opinions/abuse/whatever about.

During November I had three trips to Phillip Island and on each occasion I came home via the Daylston/Loch/Drouin road (a winding hilly road) and was able to do the first two trips on the Dunlop D01Js and the last trip on standard W Bridgestone S02s.

The first trip was a fine but cool day. The second trip was a cold & occasionally damp day. The third trip (on the Bridgestones) was a hot day. The D01Js were set at about 35 psi cold and the Bridgestones had been set at 36 cold that morning.

After doing the first two trips on the Dunlop D01Js I was surprised at just how inferior the Bridgestones were on the same road. I don't think I was going any faster/harder on the third trip but it felt like the tyres had nothing like the grip that I had on the previous 2 trips.

So, what are we to conclude from this? Is it possible that the R-spec tyres provide better grip (than road tyres) even if they're not up to track-like temperatures/pressures
Old 12-03-2003, 02:20 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The above quote is a generalisation. My experience comes from what I've seen at the track with inexperienced drivers going out on cold track tyres and wondering why it was like driving on an ice rink. I also noticed the uncertain feel of the 540's when driving to Wakefield. I can't comment on the D01Js.
Old 12-03-2003, 02:56 AM

I don't think the D01Js are any different to RE540s in that respect.

The D01Js are certainly noticeably more slippery than road tyres when stone cold.

On this road I'm talking about, the tyres have already had 30Kms of 80-100 Km/Hr cruising on straight roads before we get started on the bends so they're not "cold". It's just that they're nowhere near as "hot" as what they'd get during track work.

Perhaps my question should be - Do R-spec tyres work OK when they're only "warm" ?
Old 12-03-2003, 03:17 AM

what is the wear like on the RA1? compare it to the S02?

From my experience, the RA1 last about 50% of the S02s would. My RA1s were 2/3 worn after around 6000km (while I managed to get 21,500km out of the S02s). Though, that made the RA1s borderline non-roadlegal. I think I got maybe 4500km - 5000km out of them while they were still road legal. Keep in mind that when they become non-roadleagal is actually when they start getting into their optimum perfromance/grip. The road-legality is just due to the tread design and not necessarily due to the lack of grip (if anything they have more grip at that stage than when new ... they just are not as good then at dispersing watter).

Is it possible that the R-spec tyres provide better grip (than road tyres) even if they're not up to track-like temperatures/pressures.

In case of the RA1s, the anster is "absulutely". They had, at all times, a lot more grip than any road-tyre that I've experienced. That is when cold, when wet or just when you started driving. They naturally had a lot more grip, it just got better when they warmed up. The only point of contention wcould/would be their ability in deep/standing watter, but then I have not experienced anything like than and only wet roads.
Old 12-03-2003, 11:45 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RedRover
Old 12-03-2003, 11:52 AM

Originally posted by DavidM
what is the wear like on the RA1? compare it to the S02?

From my experience, the RA1 last about 50% of the S02s would. My RA1s were 2/3 worn after around 6000km (while I managed to get 21,500km out of the S02s). Though, that made the RA1s borderline non-roadlegal. I think I got maybe 4500km - 5000km out of them while they were still road legal. Keep in mind that when they become non-roadleagal is actually when they start getting into their optimum perfromance/grip. The road-legality is just due to the tread design and not necessarily due to the lack of grip (if anything they have more grip at that stage than when new ... they just are not as good then at dispersing watter).

Is it possible that the R-spec tyres provide better grip (than road tyres) even if they're not up to track-like temperatures/pressures.

In case of the RA1s, the anster is "absulutely". They had, at all times, a lot more grip than any road-tyre that I've experienced. That is when cold, when wet or just when you started driving. They naturally had a lot more grip, it just got better when they warmed up. The only point of contention wcould/would be their ability in deep/standing watter, but then I have not experienced anything like than and only wet roads.
I agree with David here - the RA-1s are exceptional in the dry. In my experience, the wet performance of the RA-1 is better than any other tyre I have used. That being said, there is no tyre that is good in very deep, standing water.
Old 12-03-2003, 11:57 AM

The roadworthyness (legality) of the RA-1 is the determined the same way as for any tyre & that is the thread depth getting down to the thread markers.
Old 12-03-2003, 01:23 PM

Originally posted by slick
Right - so I've done the sales pitch - anyone in Melbourne who wants some should PM me as I have Xmas discounts on at the moment.

Cheers,

Looks like I made the wrong purchase and in the wrong State again
Will have to try the RA-1s next time then.
Thanks slick
Old 12-03-2003, 04:56 PM

RA1s sounds really good.. can't wait to get it just have to do more burn-out on the current one

Quick Reply: Semi slick tyres *again :-)