Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Semi slick tyres *again :-)

Old 07-13-2005, 03:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by XXX240,Jul 13 2005, 03:56 PM
Hi honda9krpm ,

My car is totally stock... apart from the new Toyo's tyres on the rear.

I was thinking of Upgrading to a better clutch, do you recommend this...

Or any other suggestion to reinforce the diff etc..
it really depends on what you want to do with the car

I found that the stock clutch is very easy to drive. Once you upgrade to a better performance clutch you have to compromise comfort. Performance clutches are not that difficult to master but it's not as easy to drive as the stock clutches.

You can get the comptech cap to reinforce the diff but it will probably cost you around $1500 just to reinforce one part of the weak link. There are other weak links too; the torsen lsd, pinion, crown wheels and the axles. These will break with serious drag racing. It's probably wise enjoy your car as much as it is until the rear end give up. You will prob have more upgrade options that what are currently available. There will prob be a price war too between the nissan conversion kits from Diff technique, K&A and others.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:19 AM

Hi honda9krpm

Thanks for the info.

I will leave the car as it is... Maybe the max I will go for is a lightened flywheel, but I will only change that if the stock clutch fails, and I will still replace the clutch with a stock one... I will take your advise.

Do you recommend a good Flywheel..

Cheers

Neville
Old 07-15-2005, 02:25 AM

Hi DavidM

I'm doing well with the Toyo's RA1 245/45/16 on the rear....

I was thinking of trying to fit the extra Toyo's R888 225/45/16 in the front...

What do you think... Will they fit on the standard front rim.

Will it upset the car setup... or the steering, or ride etc..?

I'm also concerned if they might touch the mudcovers from the inside..

I have stock suspension on my car.

Cheers

Neville
Old 07-15-2005, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by XXX240,Jul 15 2005, 07:49 PM
Hi honda9krpm

Thanks for the info.

I will leave the car as it is... Maybe the max I will go for is a lightened flywheel, but I will only change that if the stock clutch fails, and I will still replace the clutch with a stock one... I will take your advise.

Do you recommend a good Flywheel..

Cheers

Neville
If that is the case I would recommend a slightly higher clamping force pressure plate. You can get this from Race brake in NSW or X-clutch from Adelaide.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:38 AM

I was thinking of trying to fit the extra Toyo's R888 225/45/16 in the front... What do you think... Will they fit on the standard front rim. Will it upset the car setup... or the steering, or ride etc..?

Remember that your rear 245 tyre is really not any wider than the OME S02. That means that when you put 225s at the front, you will be changing the balance of the car. Personaly I've never had any problems with grip at the front and would stick with the 205s there. If anything, I was always trying to get more grip at the back.

Also wider front tyres will be more suspect to tramlining.

Will the 225s fit at the front? I thinmk they will fit under the guards as there are people with 225s at the front and they don;t have any rubbing issues. Maybe one of them will chime in? Though, I'm not sure whether you can fit 225s on the OME front rims ... I forgot how wide they are, do you know?
Old 07-17-2005, 01:06 AM

the replacement RE55 is about as bad a road tyre as I can imagine. It's like driving on tyres that are constantly dippied in oil. Incredibly slippery on the road, extremely noisy (ie. sound like an airplane taking off) and also are very harsh as far as the ride goes. I'd say most of the re-treads will make a better (and safer) road tyre ... it's like driving on ice.

That's bad new for me David.
I use the RE540 on the 16" and SO3 on the 18".
This is because I get good trade deal from the manager and they were good for traction on the street. I was looking at trying the RE55 on the street may be for my 18"

Another bad new is that non of my tyres can maintain good traction at high rpm in full throttle in 1st and 2nd gear on dry tarmac anymore. I dynoed the car yesterday after fixing the manifold leak and boost control. The car is beserk at 1.1 bar. It made 320rwkw with 1/2 descent tune and the car was not even strapped to the dyno We winded the boost up to 1.3 bar and it blew out the sparks so I am only running at 1.1 bar and got serious traction problem.

I am in serious trouble with traction. I really need you guys' helps again.
What can I get for my 18x9.5" rear rims that is good for traction the street and occasional circuit? How much will this cost?
Old 07-17-2005, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by honda9krpm,Jul 17 2005, 07:06 PM
I am in serious trouble with traction. I really need you guys' helps again.
Try this .... http://www.miata.net/sport/Physics/07-Circle.html
Old 07-17-2005, 06:42 AM

I use the RE540 on the 16" and SO3 on the 18".

And you've had no problems with the RE540s on the street? I've only experienced RE540s on an S2000 at Winton, and even though the tyres came up to grip reall quick there, they were still incredibly harsh and noisy (again the plane taking off comparision comes to mind).

What can I get for my 18x9.5" rear rims that is good for traction the street and occasional circuit?

How about Pilot Sport Cup, Pirelli P-Zero Corsa or the Toyo RA-1? They are all just as grippy as the RE540, but they are also all supposed to be great on the street.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:48 PM

Thanks David and RR.
The 540 was noisy but bearable in my car. The tyre noise was overcasted by the vortech back then and now by the single exhaust and dogbox.

Let me get this straight
Are you saying the RE55 is noisier than the RE540?
Old 07-17-2005, 03:04 PM

It would be hard to find a better tyre than the Michelin Pitol Cup Sport - but they are the most expensive tyres

Quick Reply: Semi slick tyres *again :-)