Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

S2000 - track car, daily driver or in-between?

Old 04-08-2003, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe that if you have a sporty car and want to find the depths of it's abilitys then you have to take it on a track.

The thought of driving on the road as hard as most people go on the track is pretty scary (I drive at most about half track level when I'm on the road).
The only place that you can safely Vmax a car through the gears, attack a corner at the limits of your ability, get your brakes up to 600 degrees, have warnings of someone going off ahead of you or crap on the road surface, have medical support nearby and not get stuck behind a BMW 318i (with M-badges the ultimate blocking machine on freeways) is on a race track.

Before I started competing in sprints I doidn't think much of my cars. Now I know how hard it can corner, brake and accelerate. In traffic I don
Old 04-23-2003, 02:56 PM

blackie, are you coming to Phillip Island this Sunday?
Old 04-23-2003, 05:13 PM

Yes it looks okay for Sunday. I PMed Mark and told me to look out for 2 handsome men in 2 red S2000s.
Old 04-27-2003, 03:06 AM

Well it turned out to be a very wet day indeed. The rain started during the first session and kept raining all day.

This photo was taken at MG corner during my first session

Old 04-27-2003, 05:01 AM

Sorry to hear about the weather .... it looked very wet in Melbourne all day so I guess it was no different at the Island.

Still, how did you guys go? What times did you manage even though it was wet? What speed were you reaching on the straight? Besides that any other info of what it was like there in the wety would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-27-2003, 02:32 PM

Originally posted by DavidM
Sorry to hear about the weather .... it looked very wet in Melbourne all day so I guess it was no different at the Island.

Still, how did you guys go? What times did you manage even though it was wet? What speed were you reaching on the straight? Besides that any other info of what it was like there in the wety would be greatly appreciated.
Unfortunately, David, this event was a bummer for me.
I was assigned to a flag post at Southern Loop - we were there for about hour and a half. We watched in horror as the rain came across and got soaked to the bone.
My first run was to be as soon as we got back from flagging, but my hands were numb and I felt I could not control the car in this condition.

I was debating whether to go out in the next run - the track was very wet by now - when a Porsche aquaplaned at about 180kph just after the bridge on the straight, turned hard right and clobbered the tyre wall with an almighty thump!!!! Took off the right front and rear quarters.

That made up my mind for me about my next move - pack up and go home!!!!!!!!

So - I did not even get onto the track.

Mark
Old 04-27-2003, 04:01 PM

What was it like in the wet? It was like driving towards someone who was spraying a firehose on your windscreen. I backed off and didn't go out again.
Old 04-27-2003, 06:48 PM

wow, that's serious stuff. Personally I don't rerally want to be on a track when it's wet ... that is any track let alone PI. That is not because I'm afraid to drive in the wet, but because in the wet you need 10x as much room to come to a stop once you loose it. Hence you need 10x as much room, which is not there.

Sorry to hear about the Porsche ... any idea at what speed was the contact?
Old 04-27-2003, 06:56 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

0Kph I'm guessing. Ouch!

So, what does happen when an immovable object is struck by an unaffordable force.
Old 04-27-2003, 07:33 PM

I didn't see it happen but I think Mark did. It happened just past the start/finish line on the main straight. approx under the bridge. The track officials said the speed was in excess of 180 KpH.

At the meeting to decide whether to continue or not somebody said that what happened was that the Porsche driver lifted his foot off the accelerator too suddenly after passing the chequered flag and that this caused the aquaplaning.

Quick Reply: S2000 - track car, daily driver or in-between?