Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

S2000 - track car, daily driver or in-between?

Old 04-07-2003, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2000 - track car, daily driver or in-between?

How many here use their S2 frequently on the track and who actually will not compromise their baby in such a way and only use it for spirited runs through the mountains and daily commutes?

I am somewhat in a dilemma. Having bought the S2 brand new not long ago, I am itching to get it out on a track. However there are a couple of points which deter me from doing so.

One is that this is not a cheap car, and I am not a rich man, so any offs or bingles will result in damages coming out of my own pocket due to insurance not covered whilst on a track (correct me if I'm wrong). Another question, if someone shunts you while on the track, and it was clearly the other person's fault, what is the procedure or etiquette here? Do you both just walk away with your own damage bill?
The other cost is of course the tyres. Do you guys just run the OEM S02s or do you change your rubber or even the wheels?

Another thing is that the need to have a fire extinguisher mounted to your car. This is fine except for the drilling of the bracket. I am not inclined to drill any holes into a car which I will one day hope to sell. I am actually thinking of getting an old MX-5 at a later stage and using that soley for track use to satisfy my driving urges.

So while the car is more than capable of track use in stock form, the cost and mods necessary can cause me to cringe. Anyone care to share their thoughts and experiences?
Old 04-07-2003, 04:23 PM

I was in the same position as you. I took my S2000 on track a few times but ended up worrying about the cost of wear and tear too much. You know, things like engine, gearbox, brakes, clutch, driveshafts etc.

Crashing is something that not many of us seem to worry about on track. I suppose it's the old "won't happen to me" mentality. Personally I've never witnessed on-track accident damage to road cars but there are plenty of stories. As far as I know, you'd have to bring a civil case if you felt that it was someone elses fault, unless they just agreed to pay. In actual racing people have to cover their own costs. All's fair in love and war. Some tracks are safer than others and some clubs have stricter rules about keeping away from other cars.

You can (should?) change tyres for the track but you'll generally need a second set of rims (very dear for this car).

To mount a fire extinguisher many of us made up simple aluminium brackets that are held in place by the passenger seat bolts. That way there's no drilling and you can remove it after the event.

Finally while the car is quite capable, it's not as quick a track car as you might think. In the end I got sick of the expense and worry of driving both the S2000 and my WRX on track regularly. It's fun but as road cars they always feel slow and compromised no matter what you do. I bought an old Formula Ford for $15,000 and it is leagues ahead in terms of speed and thrills. It can be a bit of a pain having to trailer it around but maintenance is simple and parts are cheap. An old MX5 might be a great idea for you. They can be made very light, the engines can be tuned and I've seen several that have been turned into quite fun club cars. Mostly they seem to be cheap Jap imports. The further you take it the more likely you are to need a trailer though as they'll rapidly become unroadworthy.
Old 04-07-2003, 04:27 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Your situation sounds very similar to mine. My suggestion is to do the odd track day at Wakefield (very safe) and only in well controlled sprints (cars 15 seconds apart). In my three trips to Wakefield I have passed only two cars and in very safe situations. I have come off the track once but due to the nature of Wakefield the only thing damaged was my ego.

On the fire extinguisher, I have a bracket from Naishou that is just a length of aluminium with an L profile. Either end has a hole that mounts using the front bolts of the passenger seat and the fire extinguisher attches to a bracket screwed to the front of it. I also did some modification to allow access to the seat rail lever and to provide room for my amp. No damage, easy access.

Old 04-07-2003, 04:38 PM

Wakefield might be a bit far from Melbourne, but Winton's not too bad is it? Even Phillip Island has a fair bit of run off in most places - take it easy where there's danger.
Old 04-07-2003, 06:25 PM

thanks guys

Any idea where I can grab that bracket? I assume it's fairly easy to install. What are you guys using for a bonnet strap?
Old 04-07-2003, 06:28 PM

Blackie, check out the HSCCV web site for info on the bracket, track days etc.
Old 04-07-2003, 10:17 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Blackie
[B]thanks guys
Old 04-07-2003, 10:41 PM

Blackie, I suggest you come down to Phillip Island on 27/4 as a spectator and watch what goes on. This will give you an idea of what track days are really like.
Old 04-07-2003, 11:32 PM

Here's a couple points/answers:

- Not sure about what 'tracking' you're thinking of doing, but anytime I'm on the track, I never actually 'race' other cars. There are cars on the track but you don't pass them unless they wave you through and vice versa. If someone cathes you, you slow down a tad and let them (clearly) through. If you catch someone and get reasonably close to them then they do the same. The other cars are no problem if you do track days with car-clubs.

- Crashing the car at the track is not that easy. Most tracks have a lot of run off and if you do damane it's usually pretty minor (ie, bust the spoiler). Nothing has happened to me or anyone else in the club (as far as I know). Also you are the driver so you go only as hard/fast as you want to. Me, if I think that a corner/area of a track is not as safe as I'd like then I back off (or push) through there accordingly. I don't take risks where I'm not willing to come off. Though, you're running the risk that something in the car will brake .... but that goes for anytime you're pushing it hard ... even on the road.

- Tyres - I use same tyres on the road and track. I did that with the S02s, AzenisRS and now RA-1s. Though, plenty of people use separate tyres for the track.

- Fire extinguisher 'braket' is just slotted under the seat bolts ... no drilling of the car inloved. You just need a spanner.

pps. Winton is probably the safest track in vicinity of Melbourne ... that's the one I recomend that you take the car to first. I'd class Sadnown reasonably safe too even though there are places where the walls are very close. I'm saying that it's safe becasue where the walls are you usually are going pretty slowly. The Island has plenty of run-off, but if you do go off, you'll go off at much mugher speed than on any other track. That is where the danger comes at the Island. Then again, on all the tracks you can go as hard/soft as you like.
Old 04-08-2003, 05:02 AM

Originally posted by DavidM
Here's a couple points/answers:

- Not sure about what 'tracking' you're thinking of doing, but anytime I'm on the track, I never actually 'race' other cars. There are cars on the track but you don't pass them unless they wave you through and vice versa. If someone cathes you, you slow down a tad and let them (clearly) through. If you catch someone and get reasonably close to them then they do the same. The other cars are no problem if you do track days with car-clubs.

-
pps. Winton is probably the safest track in vicinity of Melbourne ... that's the one I recomend that you take the car to first. I'd class Sadnown reasonably safe too even though there are places where the walls are very close. I'm saying that it's safe becasue where the walls are you usually are going pretty slowly. The Island has plenty of run-off, but if you do go off, you'll go off at much mugher speed than on any other track. That is where the danger comes at the Island. Then again, on all the tracks you can go as hard/soft as you like.
Yes that's the 'tracking' I was referring to. I've only ever been down to Sandown on a High Performance Course day held by Jim Murcott. The rules and behaviour was similar to how you described but not sure if it differed much to others due to it being an 'educational' track day. Anyway, I look forward to meeting some of you tomorrow night

Quick Reply: S2000 - track car, daily driver or in-between?