Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Road Angel - Speed Detection Device

Old 08-11-2003, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road Angel - Speed Detection Device

I've seen the recent press releases in the Herald Sun about the new 86 fixed speed detection sites across Victoria.

I've been looking at getting one of these http://www.roadangel.com.au for some time now, but this is probably going to cement my decision.

Has anyone got one of these, any comments to add on them???
Old 08-11-2003, 07:45 PM

Personally I think that they'd only be worthwhile if you regularly drove into areas that you haven't been before. I suppose if you consistently drive over the speed limit then new spots might catch you off guard but the road angel wont help defend you against random setups and mobile units.

Id rather spend that money on an adjustable speed limiter like the new MBs have.
Old 08-11-2003, 08:06 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I'd like one but as AustBlue says, it only protects against knowns. Still, there are 4 speed cameras within cooee of where I live and I can't tell you how many times I've hit the anchors at the last moment, or driven through them then thought, 'Was I speeding?'.

And considering how many speed cameras there are in AustBlue's neck of the woods I doubt you've ever speed. On the last S2ki drive many of us Sydney-siders were amazed at there proliferation down the 'gong way.

The one positive about speed cameras is that since their introduction I have seen far fewer mobile set ups.
Old 08-12-2003, 03:36 AM

I'd certainly consider getting one.... particularly when driving interstate and not being familiar with the roads!!

Obviously it won't protect against the mobile/roof-top patrol cars.... but the 'random' cars on the side of the road, aren't that random; as they usually appear in particular/common spots in cycles. Plus you can 'mark' this type of camera, in your 'personalised locations'.

Here are a few extracts from the website -

Fixed = For permanently sited speed and red light cameras.
Mobile = For your own personally stored locations and for country towns on major highways where speed limits drop from 110 to 60kph (or lower).
Average = For areas monitored by fixed average speed cameras.
Blackspot = Repeat accident areas and school zones - take extra care.

With the number of fixed speed cameras set to dramatically increase and accident data changing constantly, Blackspot is constantly working to verify new locations and delete obsolete ones.

The standard settings can all be user adjusted. New locations can be stored, current locations deleted, warning range and the volume levels for fixed and blackspot hazard types are adjustable.