Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Replacing Rear Plastic Window

Old 04-28-2006, 12:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Replacing Rear Plastic Window

hi Guys as far as replacing the entire roof goes, i only need a new window as some lovely person has placed a nice hole in the plastic.

I was wondering is any one has replaced their window and if so Did you replace with a Glass one? Also i have spoken to a few auto trimmers and also Honda (WA) and as far as their concerned the new window will need to be STITCHED IN! not glued like the present one...

anyways all info is appreciated, as im at my whits end in getting a new window!
Old 04-28-2006, 12:40 AM

Did they slash your window??
Old 04-28-2006, 12:44 AM

more like stabbed it! assholes! so it looks so dodgy with some gaff tape over it at the mo. NEEDS TO BE FIXED!!!
Old 04-28-2006, 04:01 AM

just make an insurance claim. thats what i did a few years back, car was in the shop for a day, got it back.
as far as the glass goes, u might convince the insurance company to give u one if u somehow put a good case to them about paying the difference, but its a long shot. i just left it as is and took teh plastic one. no skin off my back, paid the $400 excess, got a new roof, easy
Old 05-09-2006, 07:49 AM

my plastic window actually cracked whilst i was puting the roof down,(washed it on a cold night,and when i went to put the roof down to dry it...SNAP) it was just out of warranty so honda didnt want to know me.

The glass window uses a totaly different roof and apparently u cant just transplant them.New "glass" roof = 5k. Honda fed me some shit that the seats and roll bar needed to come out and wanted $1700 to fix the plastic. In the end i got t-boned ever so slightly by some knob, so my panel guy put it on the numnuts insurance...poetic justice.

best bet would be an auto trimmer.
Old 05-09-2006, 03:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is possible to change the roof to the one with glass rear window, many people have done it. The only thing you have to do is add some elastic strapping to the frame to compensate for the added weight of the screen and help the roof fold properly.

I don't think many people in Aus have done this but I know some people in the UK have, try a search in the UK forum.

- Adam
Old 05-09-2006, 05:16 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteAP1,May 10 2006, 01:49 AM
my plastic window actually cracked whilst i was puting the roof down,(washed it on a cold night,and when i went to put the roof down to dry it...SNAP) it was just out of warranty so honda didnt want to know me.

The glass window uses a totaly different roof and apparently u cant just transplant them.New "glass" roof = 5k. Honda fed me some shit that the seats and roll bar needed to come out and wanted $1700 to fix the plastic. In the end i got t-boned ever so slightly by some knob, so my panel guy put it on the numnuts insurance...poetic justice.

best bet would be an auto trimmer.
I don't know where to start with this post.

Firstly you wouldn't put your roof down to dry it. You should leave it up until it is dry.

Secondly the glass window does not use a totally different roof. The section witht he glass is different and there are a couple of straps on the bows but the basic structure is the same.

You do have to take out the seats and roll bar and much of the rear trim to change the roof.

Apart from that, spot on!
Old 05-09-2006, 08:11 PM

are cracks in the plastic roof covered under warranty?
Old 05-09-2006, 11:36 PM

This doesn't apply to amelia because her window is damaged, but for all those folks who are troubled by their rear windows - you'll be amazed at what a difference a good cleaning can make. It sure is a lot more cost-effective to clean (and keep clean) the plastic one you've got rather than buy a new glass one (with only half the visible area).

Try here - https://www.s2ki.com/stor/library/TSB/A00-037/index.htm
Old 05-09-2006, 11:48 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a new roof with glass window I will be installing soon and my previous roof and window will be for sale then. Let me know if you're interested.

Quick Reply: Replacing Rear Plastic Window