Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Radar detector

Old 01-13-2007, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radar detector

Does anyone use one or used one in the past? I know that supposedly theres a huge fine if they catch you with it--- can you just take it off quickly if think a cop is goin to stop you? or can you put it in a position where they can't see it easily?

I haven't been caught speeding yet but I think my time will come!
Old 01-13-2007, 01:44 PM

i've used one. it's very illegal. but theres a quick release suction cap for the one i was using. and it was also a "radar detector scrambler" because in the rest of the world they already use "radar detector, detectors" and you can scramble their signal so they can't detect if you have a detector

confused?

i never had a problem with it. but i was using it when i was working for my dad at Uniden. and i had a letter from the company saying that the radar detector was used only for testing purposed. although i never had to show any cops the letter
Old 01-13-2007, 01:51 PM

Were they actually good--- i.e. did they detect them long before you could actually see them?? Did they save you any fines you think?
Old 01-13-2007, 01:55 PM

it didn't save me any fines as at the time i was driving a 01 corolla

they detect quite a long distance out, and the beeping gradually increases in speed

only real problem i had with it is when a highway patrol passes you or something the detector shits itself. like it wont start beeping until the cop is right behind you and then it'll just be a long continuous beep until the cop is 200m ahead of you. and it makes you really shit yourself and sometimes you frantically look around for the cop or try to take the thing off and only make things more difficult

right now i just use a GPS, and they have fixed speed cameras, red light cameras and black spot warnings
Old 01-13-2007, 04:00 PM

radar detectors have now been banned in wa, the last stqate to allow them to be legally sold and used. all states in australia have banned their use, but not the sale of them.

however, a lot of people have hardwired the units to their car and they are stealth like in terms of their appearance. a lot of the usa guys do this, they mount the unit in the car, hidden away, with a speaker and toggle switch. its undetectable to the untrained eye, and law enforcement will often not find it without tearing the car apart.

legally, police can ask u if they can search the car, and can ask u to open up bags, etc, so if u do take a unit off the dash and try to hide it, it will probably be found, thats why hardwired units r better as the police can look, but they more often cant find. they r not allowed to detain u for a lengthy period of time.
the can ask u to bring the car into the impound for a more thorough search tho.

last i heard, it was a $2k fine plus confiscation. in nsw. also, i dont condone its use, as i dont have one, but u can get them around the place
Old 01-13-2007, 04:05 PM

Without getting into too much legal stuffs. The Police antiradar detector technology is catching up with the radar detectors (RD). The detecting/warning distance is getting shorter especially in the past 1-2 years ie the radar guns are emitting less radar. The RDD is still the same for the past 5+ yrs but there are rumours that the police have been tweaking their Stalker/Stalcar RDD.

The only RD that is almost not detectable (& completely not detectable by Stalcar RDD) and legally sold at Autobarn in QLD is the Bell. RRP is around 1 large. However, it is not legal to use on the road

Is it worth buying? That really depends on your values I would rather invest that money into anti laser gun stuffs than radar detectors.

Do I have one or any other illegal stuffs? NO !!!
Old 01-13-2007, 05:39 PM

Used to have one, saved me at least once that I can recall. But that was about 10 years ago.

By my understanding the law now says that you're not even allowed to have one in a vehicle. When it was only illegal to use them, police had difficulty in showing actual use (everyone used to just say they that even though it was in their car, they weren't using it, and the police couldn't prove otherwise).

They've toughened up enforcement too. The fines are huge, and yes they will confiscate it from you, and in addition: it goes on your driving record and you will never, ever get any leeway from a cop or Magistrate again.

Oh and three other things:
1. detector detectors are better these days than they ever used to be, use a detector now and there's a fair chance you'll get caught;
2. almost all radar (/lidar) these days is 'instant on' and has very well focused targeting, so the moment you find out there's radar in the area is the same moment you're getting caught;
3. I think there's a massive number of points taken off your licence if you get caught with one too.

Thus IMHO it's just not worth it.

FD
Old 01-13-2007, 11:01 PM

If you're gonna do it, this is how you'd do it...

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=66179

But really, no, its not worth it. I thought about it about 6 months ago when I first got the S, but the consequences far outweigh the pro's.
Old 01-14-2007, 02:24 AM

actually, no, that wouldnt be how u do it at all. thats a terrible and highly obvious way of doing it, terrible, just terrible.

i have seen how the high end (ferraris, porsches, etc) have theirs setup, and u look at it and if u were to look everywhere in the cabin, u couldnt pick it at all, not like that monstrosity sitting in the centre there
Old 01-14-2007, 03:12 AM

The V1 is detectable by Stalcar.
www.radar1.com used to sell a kit that is not detectable and can be hardwired into the car.

Quick Reply: Radar detector