Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Ques: RE turbo's, and turbo timer's

Old 05-18-2002, 01:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ques: RE turbo's, and turbo timer's

Hey guy's,

Just got to thinking. For those of you with turbo car's how many of you have turbo timer's? And for those that don't how many of you would buy a turbo timer (if you bought a turbo)?

Now, here's the thing that's been bugging me. Ok, you have a car with a turbo, and you run a turbo timer to let the engine cool before it stops completely, now when you want to fill up with petrol do you:

a) wait for the car to turn off before filling up.
b) be crazy and just pop the fuel lid and fill up while the engine is still running.
c) disable the turbo timer, turn off the engine (risking engine damage) and then fill up???

or am I totally missing something here?

wil..
Old 05-18-2002, 05:20 AM

i used to wait a little bit and then manually stop the timer and then fill up. only a few seconds
Old 05-18-2002, 07:29 AM

Yeah I have a turbo timer, basically if u drive slow for a few mins before u shut down then u don't really need one. Mine is hooked up to the handbrake so if I put the handbrake down the timer shuts the engine down, when I go to the petrol station I switch the engine off whilst the handbrake is down, and that disables the turbo timer.
Old 05-18-2002, 07:50 AM

Geez, I'm proud to be NA. Don't have to deal with such trivial questions.
Old 05-18-2002, 03:20 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The turbo timer for my car (now, if only I had a turbo ) keeps an eye on how the car has been driven and sets the turbo timing accordingly. So if I'm just strolling up to the service station, or have been driving mildly for a while the timer sets a much shorter wait than if I've just been hammering it.
Old 05-19-2002, 04:49 AM

cool. So I guess the theory is if you need to fill up, drive easy before you get to the station.

wil..
Old 05-19-2002, 04:58 AM

Originally posted by wilch
cool. So I guess the theory is if you need to fill up, drive easy before you get to the station.

wil..
Isn't that an oxymoron?. Surely the whole reason that you need to fill up is because youve been driving hard an drinking juice like it's going out of style
Old 05-19-2002, 03:14 PM

I had a turbo timer on my last car (modified 98 WRX) because my old man once had issues with a turbo car he bought new that he didn't look after in terms of letting it cool down before turning it off - basically the turbo ended up sh!tting itself. Because I was running significantly higher boost than standard (resulting in higher turbo temperatures), I thought that it would be a good idea.

If I knew that I was going to be getting petrol, I would normally just take it easy and override the turbo timer (manually turning it off) when I got to the petrol station.
Old 05-19-2002, 03:33 PM

After 'normal' driving there is no need to allow a turbo cool. Those with a boost guage would see that the turbo doesn't get much use on the road. It's only after a sustained period of boostage (say cruising on a freeway at 140+ or a long run up a steep hill or racing) that it gets hot enough to impact bearing longevity...thats why these intelligent timers make a lot of sense. Set properly the thing would seldom ever come on...a timer with a temperature probe mounted on/near the turbo itself would make good sense.

I laugh at wankers idling for 2 minutes in their Nissan 200sx at the petrol station...wtf..like they raced there or something in city traffic...
Old 05-19-2002, 09:59 PM

Originally posted by bmoyes
I laugh at wankers idling for 2 minutes in their Nissan 200sx at the petrol station...wtf..like they raced there or something in city traffic...
That's a bit harsh ain't it!

wil..

Quick Reply: Ques: RE turbo's, and turbo timer's