Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

POWER CHIP

Old 06-08-2005, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The figures seem highly optimistic as well as mechanically illogical. However, if they install it and offer a 100% refund if you're not satisfied, then there's no harm in trying I suppose.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:15 PM

Just be sure to read the fine print on which base line they work off. It could be their fudged low figure making your new figure (actually the standard hp) look like an improvement.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:16 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd check the fine print on their guarranty. Make sure it is 100% and not just hardware.

Stock ECUs are tuned to a lowest common denominator as each engine is different. And of course the restrictions on a manufacturuer from an emissions point of view and also long term reliability are quite stringent. That is where Powerchip usually find gains. They don't worry about emissions or safety margins.

But the S2000 is handbuilt to very high tolerances and the ECUs tuned to those sorts of margins. That's how it get 120hp per litre. It's basically a blueprinted motor off the shelf.

It is absolutely crazy to assume that Powerchip can extract that sort of increase on any S2000 when they don't even do individual tuning.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:21 PM

[QUOTE=Vueyjr,Jun 9 2005, 10:27 AM]Yes , true about the S2k's ECU , as it is not programable , powerchip offer a "piggyback"
Old 06-08-2005, 06:13 PM

i know , it sounds too good to be true .
Your right about the 2.2 litre S2k . I didnt think about that . But i will try to go down and have a look and at some guys who are getting their car's done and see what sort of improvements ( if any ) are made .
also , there are alot of modified cars in my area ( Punchbowl - Bankstown ) i will ask around and see if anyone has one of these fitted , and try to get some feedback .
Will keep you guys posted .
Old 06-09-2005, 02:45 AM

i thought those cars were modified for doofness, most sparks achieved from speed humps and for exhaust tip size in the bankstown area???
Old 06-09-2005, 03:45 AM

DO NOT GET A POWERCHIP.
there have been a few cases on the ozaudi.com forums about these people.

remember if you do go ahead and waste your money, get a dyno run first as this acts as your base level to compare against, then once the chip is put in, get the dyno run then. with powerchip, i think you will be pleasantly disappointed.

it appears as if you are going to buy it. but hey, it's your money, you have been warned, so waste away.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:49 PM

Oh , im haven't got $1495 to just throw away ......
i just want to check it out . Just want to see for myself what kind of gains , if any are to come from fitting one of these chips .
They have been around for 15 yrs , so im just going to have a look .
but thanks for your input ... i will definitely bring it up with them and see how they respond to it .
Old 06-09-2005, 02:56 PM

Vueyjr , a Powerchip might offer some benefits on a Holden or a Falcon etc but it will not add anything to an S2000.

Most family cars have plenty of room for improvement but an S2000 is well developed already. The only serious thing you can ddo to an S2000 is to add forced induction.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:31 PM

you can reduce fuel and add timing at the top end to get a few more rwkw for a stock s but is it really worth the cost of a uni chip

you are better off buying a vafc if you don't intend to go crazy with mods. If you intend to go crazy with mods, then it's best to go straight to a motec system. The motec is far more superior than an aem ems. The motec will cost more but will save you lots of homework and allows access to so many experienced tuners in Australia.

Having said that the aem ems is not too bad. It's just not as refined as the motec system. Anyway, you pay for what you get when it comes to ems. If I have to do it all over again, I would of get the motec system because my tuner is so good with the motec system.

Quick Reply: POWER CHIP