Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Plastic rear window

Old 03-15-2005, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plastic rear window

Hi guys,

just a quick question for the aussie owners...

i have an 01 s2k and i believe as a direct result of the harsh west australian sun, my plastic rear window is far from clear.
it has patches where the plastic folds over whilst shut, and is generally quite dirty looking.

so wat do the <02 aussie owners use on their plastic windows to keep it looking like new?

or should i just consider getting a new plastic made up and installed (can that be done?)

thanks for any advice/ideas/opinions etc
greatly appreciated
Old 03-15-2005, 09:22 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

There are a bunch of products that will assist in restoring your plastic but it will never be perfect. You could replace the whole canvas but that is a big job. Or have an upholsterer replace just the plastic but that also is a pretty big job and the quality will be dependent on the upholsterer. But with any of the above your window will cloud up again in a short time.

The other alternative is to replace with a glass rear window. You can buy a new top with glass for about $2500 or source one secondhand much cheaper.

Or, do as I do and never put the roof up. Of course my skin cancer bill might be much more than the cost of a hard top but that's later...
Old 03-15-2005, 09:25 PM

I suggest giving Honda a call and asking what their plastic window cleaner is worth.

There are other prodcuts available at good auto stores that do the same thing.

Motorcycle accessory stores (eg MCA parramatta) may also stock PLEXUS which you will find lots written about on this site.

Boating stores (eg BIAS boating) may stock 303 UV protectant.

All of these are useful on plastic windows.

MUZ (www.pretsigeautoaccessories.com)sells mats for the rear well to help keep the inside of the rear window clean when folded. Also there is a window tube available to help with the outside of the window when folded.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use the Honda plastic cleaner (around $20 for a bottle and I have only had the one bottle in the last 3 years).
I also have a Muz mat.
After I use the cleaner the screen is nice and clear.
There are some scratches that is does not remove which mostly got there before I installed the Muz Mat.
The only problem with the cleaner (or any cleaner) is that you need to be an ambidextrous midget to get to all portions of the inside of the screen.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by DaveFromSydney,Mar 16 2005, 05:39 PM
The only problem with the cleaner (or any cleaner) is that you need to be an ambidextrous midget to get to all portions of the inside of the screen.
The solution to this problem is to delegate the task to a small wife or some children. Bribery and threats may be applied in equal measure.

Alternatively, hire some (small) local schoolkids to do it for pocketmoney.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:21 AM

I agree - cleaning the inside of the rear window is a prick.

I think I recall seeing some post about some cloth/pad on a stick that makes it easier to reach this.

Also be careful not to get the window cleaner/polish on the black roof part, as it can discolour it.
Old 03-16-2005, 08:18 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I wish we had the Aussie sun here (typing while it's snowing like a bugger outside ). Anyway try this:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=118889
Good luck.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:31 PM

I always wanted to buy that stuff. But I could never find it anywhere. Has anyone in Australia actually seen it?
Old 03-16-2005, 02:24 PM

No wonder X has such a high PPD. He is everywhere!
Old 03-21-2005, 01:13 AM

guys thats for the info

i told my engineer mate about my dirty plastic window, he came round on sunday and to my disbelief took to my rear window with cut and polish!

he obviously knew his shit, cos now the plastic is significantly more seethrough

Quick Reply: Plastic rear window