Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Petrol Economy crap? car running raspy?

Old 09-05-2006, 12:39 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Petrol Economy crap? car running raspy?

Hey all,

My car was starting to run a bit rough, and i had noticed that my petrol consumption was degrading. I also noticed excess black soot collecting on the back of the exhaust tips, like i'd clean it when washing then a day or two later they were all fouled up.

I replaced the o2 sensor ($550 from honda..pretty expensive cuz u can get a generic O2 sensor for like $80 for a holden/ford) and the car runs so nice and smooth and the petrol economy seems to be back up there, but most importantly its not all raspy and rough up in the top rev range. I find with this car i really notice if somethings wrong and its not running right and when its not running well its quite annoying to drive. With the new o2 sensor its now nice and smooth to drive again......for now i guess!

peace out.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:00 AM

hmmm... thats sorta what I've been experiencing lately. My petrol consumption has been increasing although I haven't been driving it harder at all..... and I think its getting a bit raspier as well.

I'm going to Hanny's this Saturday morning to get my car serviced. Will they be able to pick up if my O2 sensor is off/not working well?

Japcab how did you know that it was the O2 sensor that was the thing wrong???

Cheers G
Old 09-05-2006, 04:14 AM
Banned

another give away that your o2 is stuffed is increased soot on your exhaust tips.

i pulled a CEL code while i was driving. I was driving along and the CEL lit up. I pulled over, turned off the car and back on and it dissapeared. I pulled out my manual and read that unless its flashing you can still drive it. It would come on after about 15 mins of driving. u could turn off the engine then on again and it would dissapear but appear 15 mins later. I booked it in at honda and had to wait a week. I explained to them when the CEL was coming on and they said it was a problem with the EVAP or some shit and it should be ok to drive for the meanwhile just take it easyon the car. I got the codes pulled a week later and it was low voltage on the o2 sensor. the CEL was only lit up a few times on that day, for the week after that it never came on again.

You should notice if its the o2 sensor from how the car is driving. I noticed that the idle is considerably quieter now and before when you would come to a stop at lights etc the revs would dip or go down quite low and the car would shudder. Now it idles perfectly and it pulls nice and smoothly on light and heavy load and doesnt make any rough sorta noises. there is also a noticeable performance gain afterwards.

If the O2 sensor is faulty the ECU will go into a failsafe mode because it isn't aware of the air fuel mixture it will run it max rich so you dont wreck anything from running too lean. I also noticed that when taking off from a stop, if i only dialed in a little bit of revs like for when your driving in a car park or something it would sort of 'hiccup' for a second and i'd have to rev it and take off again. This would happen here and there.

O2 sensors are a replaceable/consumable part. I read up that the life of the o2 sensor can be around 40,000kms so i guess anything after that and your on borrowed time.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:17 AM
Banned

as regarding testing the O2 sensor.....i guess with a multimeter you should be able to test it but i guess these things have a habit of working then stuffing up, on and off sorta thing.

I also heard if you shake the O2 sensor and it rattles that means its stuffed. Not sure if this is an accurate way to determine the fault or not.

perhaps the hondata computer plugged in might pick it up without a CEL code being flashed on your dash. not sure.

how many km's have u done? i'm at 96k.....which reminds me i got a 100K service coming up. wonder how much that is gonna set me back!
Old 09-05-2006, 04:33 AM

Being a Honda, the 80k serive and the 120k will be the brutal killers. The 100k is probably just timing belts, tappers, brake lines etc and then other ordinary stuff.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:37 AM
Banned

hrmm well thank god for that!

s2k has a timing chain not a belt. does that mean that it does not need to be replaced??

i'm thinking about changing my cam chain auto tensioner soon too....been getting a bit of a faint 'bike in spokes' sound. its about $350 from honda and fairly easy to install from what i've read. Cant hurt to change it anyway and besides probably a small investment to make in order to save a lot of $$$ if the existing cam chain tensioner gives way or whatever and lets that chain loose at 9K rpm.......
Old 09-05-2006, 05:58 AM
x2k

Anyone care to explain what this O2 sensor does?? cheers
Old 09-05-2006, 02:16 PM

Which 02 sensor did you replace??

Primary O2 sensor - screwed into header.
Secondary O2 sensor - screwed into cat. converter.

Where did you get your replacement one from?
This seems like a very good idea JAPCAB! thanks!
Old 09-05-2006, 03:32 PM

im assuming you replaced the sensor in the cat?

$500 seems pricey for an O2 sensor
im sure theres plenty of aftermarket sensors with the same values that would work with our car

x2k....there are 2 o2 sensors on the exhasust system of most modern fuel injected cars
these basically do what they are named, they detect oxygen levels in the air in the exhaust system. they send values to the ecu and the copmputer then adjusts the air/fuel ratio. they work in conjuction with the MAF which is located on the intake just before the throttle body. (im not sure if our car has an MAF as such but it would have some kind of air sensor).

the o2 sensor basically looks like a spark plug and screws into the cat, or header
the cat sensor would be easy to replace yourself.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:17 PM
Banned

in melbourne petroject would be the best place to call for a replacement aftermarket O2 sensor. AT the end of the day its the same whether its honda or another brand. you will need to make sure u get the right voltage o2 sensor. wires can easily be spliced.

o2 sensor is very easy to remove, you just unbolt it. As for connecting it up - i guess an original honda will be a clip in and clip out job so very easy. An aftermarket will require matching up of wires and perhaps a wire crimp. I replaced an O2 sensor on my skyline in the header a few years back. The nissan one was $300. I went to petroject and showed em my O2 sensor and told em how many volts/wires it was. for $80 i got a replacement. I screwed it into the header, and cut the wires on the original harness to the busted o2 sensor. The replacement generic o2 sensor had these metal things on the end of each wire. I stripped the wire on the stock o2 sensor harness, popped it into the metal thingos on the replacement generic and got pliers and squeezed em shut. perfecto.

I believe there are two wire models and three wire lambda sensors.

I'm not sure which one they replaced to be honest!! i think the one that goes into the CAT.

Quick Reply: Petrol Economy crap? car running raspy?