Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

People stranded.......

Old 09-13-2001, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default People stranded.......

Well, that's the end for Ansett. I have people stranded at various points around the country who I have to find a way to bring home through Qantas on a Friday which will be impossible.

The saddest part about all of this is that it is government interference that has caused our aviation industry so dearly. On two occasions in the past, Singapore Airlines has tried to acquire Ansett directly and indirectly (through Air New Zealand) and the government managed to block it both times. Tne most recent of these was only a few months ago when the government tried to put Qantas into an advantageous position in bidding for Air New Zealand.

Well, what is the result of their machinations?

Air New Zealand is now a basket case, Ansett is finished and worst of all, 16,000 will be out of work. That does not even begin to count the contracting companies who contract for Ansett. The government can be well proud of what has happened.

Qantas in the past few days has already started talking about how current fares are unsustainable so we can all look forward to heavy increases in fares in the days to come, courtesy of our government. The only hope will be that another airline sets up domestically in Australia after buying out the shell of Ansett. People should not have excessive expectations of Virgin. In the world of aviation, they are really a non-entity.

I still remember Mr Anderson "warning" Singapore Airlines recently and making implied threats on how the government would block them.

I hope all unsecured creditors of Ansett get together in a class action against them
Old 09-13-2001, 02:14 PM

Just one thing Bernie. You don't want the Singapore Government in control of anything in this country. I'd rather see Ansett fail than get taken over by SIA.

I hope the Singapore thought police are not monitoring this for when they eventually take over Australia. Good thing I'm using an alias
Old 09-13-2001, 03:24 PM

I must say I am rather releived that I didn't go with the comnpany policy and book Ansett flights 6 weeks in advance like most of the guys here. ie. We have a room full of people with 12 flights booked and some recently bought he Golden Wing membership. I always hated Ansett and booked 12 flights with Qantas... hmmmmm... good thing the company pays for my flights... otherwise I'd be /.. screwed.
Old 09-13-2001, 03:30 PM

I don't see it that way, this is another situation due to poor Government judgement and intervention with a damn strong pride. If SIA had a reason to accquire the airline ... I don't see a reason why it should've been stopped. It's in the benefit of trade and economic terms overall. Besides, now that the airline is a gone case ... No one even wants it. And whatabout the Government? They're doing jack $hit to help as well. Not that they should be saving every gone case corporation anyhow.

The fact of another 16,000 people losing their job over who is controlling which or what sometimes weighs very differently. I believe if SIA had accquired Ansett earlier, this would no doubt have not happened. Now even if the Australian Government begged SIA to accquired Ansett, they wouldn't even consider. It's a different situation now. Sometimes, it better to swallow some pride and retain a balance or stronger economic. Now, the Government and the airline is at loss and not SIA in anyway. Usually when PriceCoopers Waterhouse steps in to any big corporation in this world, it's the end of it.

Old 09-13-2001, 09:05 PM

....and following on Takashi, PWC also happen to tbe the auditors of Ansett and now they have been appointed as the administrators. I'm sure they will discharge their responsibilities with grear independence.....
Old 09-14-2001, 03:43 PM

That's right, while the Federal Government yesterday gave a press conference about securing the entitlements and benefits of staff as much as possible. I doubt there will be much left. With the corporation running at a loss of up to 2 million a day recorded in the past, how much remaining do they have from selling those planes? They're quite old and non of them are 747s twin engines I believe. Airbus aren't worth that much these days in airline terms. I just hope the majority of them will be able to get a job elsewhere.