Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Opinions Needed

Old 06-01-2005, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions Needed

Hi guys/girls,

Some of my friends are going to Winton for a practice day tomorrow. They asked me to go with them, but I don't know whether I should go or not. I have not been to the track before so I don't know what it's like. What's a practice day?

BTW I've had this car for about 8 months.

So, what do you all think?
And what do I need to prepare if I decide to go?

Thankssssss
Old 06-01-2005, 06:55 PM

Many tracks have different requirements for track days. If it a club track day check the club requirements, if it is an open entry track day, check the track's website for details.

Keep in mind that your car insurance policy will probably not cover you on the track.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:12 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Track days are great fun. It's not so long since my first track day that I don't remember the apprehension about safety and wear and tear, but I can confidently say that if it's a well organised day and you play it safe you have little to worry about.

I'm also not familiar with Winton (although I've heard mention of a tree that acts like a magnet on new cars) so some feedback from more experienced WIntonians might be beneficial. My first track day was at Wakefield where there is very little to hit and being a more technical track the speeds don't get a whole lot higher than many of us do on the road. Also, it's on a sheep station and surrounded by sheep stations so the worst that could happen is a lamb chop in your radiator.

This car is very rewarding on a track and the benefits of learning it's limits in a controlled environment are huge. I'd say go for it, and just avoid idiots and peer group pressure. They are your main issues.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:30 PM

A practice day is when you get to do a series of untimed laps. On a weekday there probably won't be many cars there so you'll have a pretty free go.

I suggest that you go anyway. If you don't want to drive on the track you can watch what your friends do and/or hitch a ride with one or more of them to get an idea of what it's like.

There's nothing on the Winton website that details what requirements you have to meet but I'd suggest the following (there may be some things I've listed that are not required but if you're planning on going on the track it's better to bring them rather than be disappointed)

Fire extinguisher, securely bolted in place within reach of driver.
Supplementary bonnet strap. This can be as simple as a cloth strap that you run from the D-clip to your front tow hook.
Helmets for both driver & passenger (if any)
Ankle to wrist non-flammable clothing. Jeans with cotton shirt are OK. Any jumpers should be woollen or windcheater style. Nylon is NOT ok.

You may need to buy a one-day licence as part of your entry fee.

Be sure to fill up with petrol at Benalla before going out to the track. Make sure your tyres are pumped up to at least 36psi COLD

If you drive on the track you will probably not be covered by your regular insurance. You need to accept that if you do any panel damage that it is at your own cost.

However, Winton is probably the safest of the four tracks in Victoria with good run-off areas. The chances are that if you do spin off the track you won't hit anything.

If you want to find out more (and see some photos + video), just use the "search" function. Type in "Winton" and click on the Australian section, click "search" and lotsa happy reading/viewing.

The Winton website is http://www.wintonraceway.com.au

You might also try http://www.hsccv.org.au click on "Where to Drive"

And last but not least, don't forget to come back here and do a post to tell us how you got on. Preferably with pictures!
Old 06-01-2005, 07:30 PM

hmmmm.... I don't really know, but it just says "Practice Day" on the website, and you only need $100 on your pocket + a helmet.

BTW what's the price of an average helmet? What brand, and where should I get it from? A motorcycle store?

EDIT:
just read RedRover's post... Thanksss

isn't 36 PSI a bit too much? I've tried 35 on the road and it's so bumpy and made me feel unsecure when turning...

BTW, anyone wants to come? RedRover?????
Old 06-01-2005, 07:36 PM

Yes, motorcycle stores are one of the best sources for a helmet.

Ask your friends if they are taking fire extinguishers. If they're not needed then you don't have to worry.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by RedRover,Jun 2 2005, 02:36 PM
Yes, motorcycle stores are one of the best sources for a helmet.

Ask your friends if they are taking fire extinguishers. If they're not needed then you don't have to worry.
OK... I'm off to have a look / buy one

thankssssss
Old 06-01-2005, 08:15 PM

What's a practice day?

I have been to a 'practice day' at Winton at the end of December last year. The 'practice days' are open to any one and with any car (you can bring a buss if you like) ... when I was there there was a tow-truck doing laps ... very funny :-)

The only requiremnts are that your car is road-legal (ie. road registered), and that you have a helmet. You don't need anything like CAMS license, extinguisher or bonnet-restraint.

If you're lucky then there will be only about 60 cars, but on a bussy day there's more like 100 - 120 cars. Though, don't worry, they don't let you all on the tyrack at the same time ... it's about 20 - 30 cars out there at one time. Usualy the clearest runs are in the morning before everyone gets there.

Also there's no timing of the laps provided on the track, but there's no reason why you and your friends can't bring stop-watches and time each other ... that's what we did when I was there.

As far as safety goes, Winton is by far the safest track in Victoria, and I've never seen anyone hit anything there as the speeds are relatively low (ie. most corners are 2nd gear corners with one 3rd gear corner). Even on the straight you'll be lucky to hit over 160kph. That means that you'll be traveling at relatively low speeds and even if yyou spin then you'll stop very quickly. I've spun there about 2 or 3 times and nothing remotely bad happened.

As far as the other cars go, you should just use common sense - look in a missor, let the fastest cars by by acknowledging them by hand and pointing them through (and backing off). Likewise do not pass a car unless you're on the straight, or they backed off and have pointed you through. Eveyone will (or should) follow those guidelines.

In terms of tyre pressures, I used to run 40psi (cold) in th3e front and 36psi (cold) in the back. Though, as long as you don't run less than 35psi (cold) in any tyre then you'll be fine. You don't want tyre-pressures too low so that you don't strip the tyre of the rim, or wear thought the side-walls with excessive cornering.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:04 PM

boszyen, here's a cut'N'paste from an October 2001 thread about tyre pressures.

Oh the Pressure

Tyre pressures have been debated long & often in many different threads on this bulletin board and also at HSCCV meetings. I think a lot of it comes back to individual driver preference.

In his book
Old 06-01-2005, 10:07 PM

In all honesty I never give too much credence to fiddling with my tyre pressures. I would always start at 36psi cold at all 4 corners, regardless of track or weather and then measure after my first or second run (and it usually runs to around 40-41psi give or take 1) and then be content that all seems OK. Getting my braking points consistent, finding the best lines, picking my "back on throttle" spots seem to be more than enough "fiddling" for me. I would rather keep tyre pressures a constant until I found that I was consistent enough to warrant fiddling with other variables. Of course, if you are a regular trackie and know every ripple on that racetrack and can't seem to improve on your times (assuming they are consistent) then yes tyre pressures are probably the easiest and quickest method of adjusting tyre grip, feel and balance to help to quicker times if you know what you're doing but to a track newbie, I would say to drive the lap as "perfect" as possible within your capabilities before I would fiddle with other variables.

Quick Reply: Opinions Needed