Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Opinions - Best small car <$10K

Old 12-11-2003, 01:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions - Best small car <$10K

Since I sold my S2000 Ive been putting up with my girlfriends old pulsar and slowly looking for a replacement. I guess that the term 'replacement' isn't entirely accurate since I only require a vehicle for transport rather than recreation etc. but I'm sure that you guys get the idea.

Criteria:
  • reliable,
  • cheap to run,
  • cheap to insure etc.,
  • less than $10K,
  • low kms and youngish.

Im not really concerned about aesthetics but in the same breath I dont want to be driving around in a pink beetle I've faced the fact that it is simply going to be "car" and not a toy so looks are quite low on the priority list.

I also would like something that is going to be comfortable, safe and not much to worry about so I can park it out in the elements, maintain it at a minimal level, and let my girlfriend drive it without having a nervous break down

So far I have been looking at Mitsubishi and specifically the Mirage or Lancer models. Both are cheap to insure, run on fumes and have a comfortable interior, air conditioning and power steering. Also one of the better points are that you can find them under $10K for about a '98 model with around 50-60K kms. I don't want to buy something that is at the stage in its life where things are starting to break and/or need replacing but I would have preferred to be able to buy a young civic.

I am really not a fan of the hyundais etc and I dont want something that has been thrashed by some punk with his body kits and no suspension etc. Stocker the better I suppose.

Anyway I was after some varied opinions and thought that you guys may have had some experience with beaters so fire away
Old 12-11-2003, 01:24 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I heard today about a BMW 735iL for sale for $10K. Ok, so it doesn't meet many of your criteria but it has several other strong points.
Old 12-11-2003, 01:28 AM

Austblue, if you are looking into getting a mitsubishi, Mirage or Lancer, always get a manual one. We had two lancers, both auto and both had gearbox problem. Same for the 97 Magna. For some reason, Mitsubishi can never get their autobox right.

For the price <10K, I'd try to get a Civic Si. Plenty of fun to throw them around!

good luck
Old 12-11-2003, 01:32 AM

I'd go for Civic too!
Old 12-11-2003, 01:43 AM

Civic!!!!
Old 12-11-2003, 01:51 AM

Another alternative might be the Mazda 323 or Ford Laser equivalent?

The Mazdas were very good quality so they should last well.
Old 12-11-2003, 02:11 AM

I looked a little at the 323 because I thought that it didn't look too bad but so far it seems that in my price range they are ~94models with high kms but I'll keep an eye on them.

hlau, thanks for the tip but I wouldn't consider getting any low powered 4 cylinder car with an auto anyway not enough power.

I'll have another look at the civics but I thought that they were a little too expensive for their age. I would like to get one but as I said I dont want anything with high ks (i.e.>80K)

heh, Im in love with the new 7 series too but that doesn't meet many of my criteria either
Old 12-11-2003, 02:26 AM

Is Corolla on your list? They are pretty reliable cars.
Old 12-11-2003, 04:53 AM

Used Daewoo Matiz.
Old 12-11-2003, 04:58 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I went to the auto shop and asked for a windscreen wiper blade for a Daewoo Matiz. The guy said 'That sounds like a fair swap'.

Quick Reply: Opinions - Best small car <$10K