Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Off Topic: Sex Scandal

Old 06-16-2004, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yesterday, the only newspaper to carry this story was the HeraldSun. The Age and the Australian didn't mention it.

On last night's TV news it was covered on Channel 7 but 9, Ten & ABC (2) didn't mention it. As far as I have seen it hasn't made it onto air on Sky (Foxtel) news.

This morning there are no follow up stories in any of the newspapers (I mean on the internet versions thereof). I wonder if the court case has been the subject of suppression orders?
Old 06-16-2004, 03:13 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Sorry to change the topic a bit, but why is it when we hear of paedophiles it's usually homosexual?

Is it that most paedophiles are homosexual, or that hetrosexual paedophilia is considered less sensational?
Old 06-16-2004, 03:18 PM

caushout, what would you say if it were a 14 year old girl and a male teacher?
Old 06-16-2004, 03:40 PM

I've been a 14 year old boy and remember vividly what it was like. I was physically ready for anything and psychologically not ready to tie my shoe laces as a result of raging hormones.

I don't think a relationship with an older woman would have done me any harm and conversely quite a bit of good.

I doubt the same is true for the reverse but I'm not really in a position to comment.

Anyone seen Harold and Maude?
Old 06-16-2004, 04:03 PM

What makes it different?

The girl I know thought a relationship with her teacher would do her a lot of good too. It didn't. There's a lot of not very subtle gender bias coming through here. I think any of the potential negative effects you could say it might have on a girl could affect a boy equally, and there are many.

Quite apart from that, it's not just the age but the position of trust. What do you say about doctor patient relationships for example? Where there's the potential for exploitation don't authority figures have a responsibility?
Old 06-16-2004, 04:40 PM

If you read back over my posts you'll see that I clearly define three areas and discuss them separately. I don't think there is any question that there has been an abuse of the student/teacher realtionship. I don't think anyone can argue that the extra-marital affair is ethical.

What I addressed above is the other aspect of this situation. That of a physical relationship between an adult and a minor (regardless of other circumstances). The argument is that even if the minor is willing the act is still wrong because the minor (by definition) is not in a position to judge the consequences adequately.

There is defintely some gender bias going on here. I am male, and hence feel I can comment on the male situation with some authority. Not being female I do not presume to be able to adequately comment on that aspect.

I do believe that there could well be a difference. In my experience there is a huge gulf of difference in the psychological make up and hormonally induced drive of males and females during puberty and expect that the effects of abuse by an adult could have very different consequences. the differences might be deep seated psychological effects, or society imposed stigma, but differences nonetheless.
Old 06-16-2004, 04:48 PM

Girls have sexual urges too

If I remember correctly boys also have emotions. It's less different than the stereotypes suggest. Maybe the boy just wanted to "score" and get macho bragging rights. Then again maybe it's going to have permanent effects on his emotional and educational future, and not just because of his parents' reaction (and we can't ignore this either).

Can you suggest exactly what makes it damaging for a girl to have a relationship with an older man but positive for a boy to have a relationship with an older woman? What exactly is the difference, just society's reaction? What negative effects could there be on a girl that would not affect a boy? I suspect none.
Old 06-16-2004, 04:52 PM

Do you honestly think you would be psychologically scared by scoring with a 30-something chick when you were 14?

I'm pretty sure I would have recovered by now.
Old 06-16-2004, 04:53 PM

I mean, Freddy Mercury had a "naughty nanny" called "big fat fanny" and he turned out alright!
Old 06-16-2004, 06:02 PM

RedRover, as the topic starter we still haven't heard your views on this.

Quick Reply: Off Topic: Sex Scandal