Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Off Topic: Sex Scandal

Old 06-15-2004, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Off Topic: Sex Scandal

Now that I've got your attention..........

Things have been a bit quiet on this board lately so I thought I'd try and stir up a bit of activity with an off-topic discussion on some controversial social issues.

I refer to the lead story on the front page of the Melbourne HeraldSun today. See ........

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/

and/or

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/st...255E661,00.html

The story concerns a female school teacher who had an affair with a 14 year old boy student. The teacher is said to be in her late 30's and is married with three children of her own. Facing the Melbourne Magistrates court today.

I don't know why a late-thirties married woman with three children would be interested in a 14 yr old boy. Perhaps he was particularly good looking? Perhaps he was unusually mature and sensitive for his age group? Perhaps love works in mysterious ways? Who knows?

According to the story, the teacher's husband is still sticking with her. He's probably more concerned about the children?

What I'm wondering is........ Is her "crime" so bad that she deserves a jail sentence or have we as a society become too politically correct?

It was a sad situation that was doomed to failure from the beginning. The boy was too young to leave school and run off with her. She couldn't run off with him and leave her own children to fend for themselves.

The boy's parents were the ones who reported the matter to the police and this has caused a serious rift between the boy and his parents. The teacher has lost her job and would not be employable in the education industry again. She's also probably lost the trust and respect of her husband.

After you've read the article I'd be interested in hearing feedback/comments on any aspect you'd care to raise.
Old 06-15-2004, 08:39 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

That's a crime!

A crime that it didn't happen to me when I was 14!

I can tell you right now I would have done a whole lot better in Geography if I'd had a bit of 'personal' tutoring from Miss Pearcy.

Seriously, I think that when you put yourself in the position of 'wife' and 'teacher' you voluntarily take on certain responsibilities with regards to relationships with others. She crossed several lines by getting involved with a student, both legal and ethical.
Old 06-15-2004, 08:40 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

P.S. I bet that kid is a legend in the playground now!
Old 06-15-2004, 09:48 PM

Irrespective of whether or not he was a 14 yo student, the fact that the mother of 3 teacher had an affair with him indicates that she was willing to risk her family, her husband and her career for this boy. That in itself is love of the greatest kind is it not? Why should we condemn her? Sure she betrayed her husband and crossed the line ethically but if that's what makes her happy and doesn't involve the harming of others then so be it. We make choices in life erring on the safe side of caution much too often and to go with your heart deserves much respect.

On the other hand, if she manipulated the boy and used him for sex and when caught, used the "I love him" line as a last resort to gain public sympathy then she can burn in Hell (or at least the aetheistic conceptual version of it).
Old 06-15-2004, 09:51 PM

Imagine the complete and utter uproar this would be if the roles were reversed, that is 14yo girl with a male in his late 30s....

Whilst she has been charged, which is all well and good, if it was reversed, you would be hearing words like "paedophile" being thrown around.

Either way it's both sick and disgusting and she should cop it as hard as any male teacher would in this situation...
Old 06-15-2004, 10:00 PM

I think that's exactly right. You would never hear anyone defending a male teacher who did this with a 14 year old girl. I have seen what exactly this can do to a family (it happened to someone I know, not me personally ). It is not nice. No matter how much we might have fantasised about our teachers as 14 year olds, any teacher who takes it out of the realm of fantasy is committing a criminal act and rightly so.
Old 06-15-2004, 10:03 PM

This all sounds like it belongs on Jerry Springer

The lady sounds as though she's trying to cling to youth or feeding her self esteem in some way. Some ladies in her situation (verging on 40 and lugging round kids) begin to feel neglected and unloved and a young boy with raging hormones will give them the attention that they desire and do just about anything for them. Not to mention that he's too young to sit on the couch on sunday requesting beer for his mates while they're all watching the footy (hmmm state of origin )

The thing that we need keep in mind is that we place a lot of trust in teachers to look after the best interest of our children and not only has she neglected that, she has commited statutory rape, and in doing so she has led a confused young boy into a situation where he could not possible understand or fathom the extent of the consequences.

I really dont think that it is too politically correct to punish a mature aged teacher for taking advantage of such a young student. That's almost a 26 year difference we're talking about and she would have been completely aware of the consequences for all involved whereas he is naive and inexperienced.

IMO politically correct would be criticising a 24 year old girl for dating a 50 year old but the difference is that at 24 you should have the capacity to make your own judgements and decisions whereas at 14 this is a far cry even for a super mature intellect.

Should she do jail? IMO Yes. Its really no different to the Michael Jackson story, we're just accustomed to the offender being male that's all.
Old 06-15-2004, 10:08 PM

Damn I took way too long to post that

Blackie love isn't always the most prominent motivation to be with someone. She may have been experiencing post-natal depression and craved the attention and feelings or just desperate to escape a life that she felt she didn't feel that she wanted to be involved in.

Infatuations can soon get out of control when people loose focus on reality and consequences of their environment. This boy would have no idea of what love truly was and couldn't have possible grasped what it meant to truly love a partner in the way that (some) adults can
Old 06-15-2004, 11:07 PM

I'm not denying the immorality of the issue nor the breach of trust that she committed, but to immediately condemn someone because they overstepped certain parameters of what we deem as 'right' in society is interesting. I believe a lot of today's values and morals are artificially drummed into us by society than what is natural to human instinct and behaviour.
Old 06-15-2004, 11:22 PM

Perhaps you would serve your point better by providing a new example, because what this lady has done isn't just stepping over the parameters, she's crossed it and then ran a mile leaving mroality miles out of sight.

Sorry I cant make clear sense of your last statement but I think I get the gist. Are you saying that our values and morals are being forced upon us by society? Because you cant forget that we are that society and our human behaviour is what dictates what we deem acceptable.

Or are you alluding to mob mentality and group think?

Quick Reply: Off Topic: Sex Scandal