Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

New tyres

Old 09-08-2005, 11:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New tyres

I first noticed my car was a little unstable while on the freeway a week ago. Thought it was crosswinds but it happened again on a still night, so I looked around the car and noticed my left rear was noticeably deflated. Felt around and found a stone wedged into the tread. My bloodied digits attested to the fact that this stone was not going to come out.

So after trundling to Donnellans in Box Hill and asked them to patch up the puncture, I was told they would not repair and unworthy tyre. I am on RA-1s (semi-slicks) and bear in mind there isn't much tread to begin with. These tyres were only 3 or 4 months old and not full worn down to the wear indicator yet. They tried to sell me 4 new tyres, four RE55s or some Hankooks. I just want my left rear patched thank you very much.

So a couple of days later I went back to Bay Rd and asked them to patch it up for me. After taking the tyre off, they showed me the stone's wrath which tore a horizontal cut across the steel belt. A new tyre was unavoidable, and since the fronts needed replacing I thought I might as as well replace the all 4. I thought about getting another set of RA-1s but since I don't track very often nowadays, a set of road tyres would be more practical. I decided to give the Bridgestone S0-3s a shot. $248 for fronts 205/50/R16 and $268 for rears 225/55/R16. Yes I know these won't give me the correct OEM stagger, but so weren't my RA-1s and they handled beautifully.

Having on done around 200kms on these tyres and not driven in the wet yet, it may be a little premature to offer a sound review but initial thoughts are it has lightened up the steering noticeably. Not a good thing in my book. General feel and response is good so far at normal street speeds. My ears can't detect any difference in noise levels nor can my bum feel any difference in ride quality. I haven't had a chance to give them a proper fang yet so stay tuned...
Old 09-09-2005, 12:06 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Those numbers are correct size-wise, the only difference being that the S2000 S02 is unusually wide.

Tell me, why did you go for the S03s when the S02s are available and not much more? The S02 is much closer to the track tyres you had before in terms of compound softness.

I'm now on Yokohama AVS on 18" rims. I hate to think what a decent tyre for those will cost me when I need a set.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:18 AM

Congrats on the tyres Blackie. Interestingly enough, I got the same size S03s for my S about 2 weeks ago from Donnellans in Oakleigh. They charged me $230 for the fronts and $250 for the backs.

It poured down raining the night I got mine, so I gave them a quick run. They definately feel different in the wet, you feel like you're going through puddles rather than skidding over the top of them.

Kuraz.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:23 AM

thought about getting another set of RA-1s but since I don't track very often nowadays, a set of road tyres would be more practical.

Why not just go to the track more often? ;-)

Yes I know these won't give me the correct OEM stagger, but so weren't my RA-1s and they handled beautifully.

The 225/50/16 RA-1s have practicaly the same 'foot print' as the OME S02s. 222mm if I remember correctly. The S03s (I think) have ~205mm footprint on the 225/50/16s.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:29 AM

I didn't have time to shop around as I was in quick need of a new set since my left rear was torn. So I guess I had to pay a small premium. I know what you mean by skidding over puddles in the wet. I had semi-slicks with tread that looked like they were drawn in by a texta. How do you find them after 2 weeks Kuraz? They should be well scrubbed up by now.

Aus, I didn't go with the OEM S02s because I didn't like the "all grip to no grip" feel they had. Yes the dry grip is great but I would trade outright grip for a more progressive loss of traction. I know DavidM says he felt the OEMs were very progressive when he had his S2000 but I experienced comepletely the opposite. He also felt the front had bags of grip the rears gave way too easily, whereas I felt the opposite and felt the car understeered. Mine being an 03 and his an 00 may have contributed to this as well as driving style but due to my car having sticky rear (sometimes too much) I didn't mind having a loser rear so I was happy with a smaller rear contact patch compared to OEM.

Having had semi-slicks on for the past 2 years, I don't know how I'd adjust. I guess roundabouts are going to be fun even at sane speeds now.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:33 AM

Yeah, I'm going to buy a complete new set within the next few weeks too. At this moment I'm pretty sure I'll get the Michelin Pilots and probably go for 245/45 on the rears.

However, I'm very interested in hearing any comments/advice on this topic. Please
Old 09-09-2005, 12:43 AM

I was looking at the Michelin PilotSports as well as the S03s, but Donnellans told me they don't have the PilotSports in 16in sizes.

Haven't had a real good chance to give the new tyres a going over yet, hopefully I will this weekend. The rears do tend to give a little more than the S02s and it's more gradual, which to me is a good thing, it gives you a bit more of a chance to correct things before you find yourself facing oncoming traffic.

Kuraz.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:43 AM

Hey RR, I was also contemplating the Pilot Sports as well but they are around 30-40% more expensive than the Bridgestones. I figured they weren't worth the differential but I have heard nothing but good reviews on these tyres.

David, I still intend on going to the track whenever I can even on these tyres but I was just tired of the semi-slicks picking up every little stone on the road when they got warm. One time I went through some loose gravel on the road and then on the next traffic light I almost went through it when I braked because the tyres were layered in stones. I was relying on granite against granite for traction rather than rubber against granite!!!
Old 09-09-2005, 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by kuraz,Sep 9 2005, 06:43 PM
I was looking at the Michelin PilotSports as well as the S03s, but Donnellans told me they don't have the PilotSports in 16in sizes.

Kuraz, Michelin do make the Pilots in 16" sizes. Donnellans wanted to sell you something else.

Blackie, I guess you get what you pay for. I have driven an S with Michelins fitted and was very impressed.

Has anyone here gone for 245/45s on the rears?
Old 09-09-2005, 08:33 PM

I remember that YellaFella used Bridgestone RE540 with 245/45 rears for track work and they went extremely well for him (on the track) but has anyone here used 245/45 on the rears for normal street usage??

Quick Reply: New tyres